Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cheap home plug kit 34.98inc. vat

This is a discussion on Cheap home plug kit 34.98inc. vat within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Originally Posted by paddymcn Extra Value 200Mbps Powerline Adapter Twin Pack | Ebuyer.com Extra Value 200Mbps Powerline Adapter Twin Pack ...

totalwar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bermonsey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky HD T1x2
      Thanks

Re: Cheap home plug kit 34.98inc. vat

Quote Originally Posted by paddymcn View Post
      Extra Value 200Mbps Powerline Adapter Twin Pack | Ebuyer.com

Extra Value 200Mbps Powerline Adapter Twin Pack 39.99
      As sky speed only 20Mbps max what the point of getting 200Mbps units.May as well get the 85Mbps work just as good and cheaper.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

They are useful if you are moving files around within your home network. As you say there is no advantage for the internet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (25-11-10)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I've managed to get hold of some Comtrend Powerline adapters as well. They work very well and are easy to setup.

One friend has a couple in her home, allowing a 2nd router to be setup to act as a WiFi Switch and increasing her WiFi coverage through stone walls. This is not something the Sky router is very good at.

The Sky router has a 100Mb wired network & up to 56Mb WiFi network. The Comtrend product therefore extends your wired network at the same speed to other parts of your home.

True the internet connection that Sky provides currently only goes up to 20Mbps (when you live next door to the telephone exchange). Some members will have 1Gb home networks and they appreciate the better speeds for their needs.

At the moment it is normally when you start copying files between computers that you will really appreciate your home network's speed, although some gamers do appreciate the faster speeds too.

BT are currently rolling out fibre optics for broadband (BT Infinite). As this arrives, connection speeds could easily reach 100Mb (currently 40Gb) for internet connections. I would expect Sky to be watching this activity and working to some how tap into this new network. You'll be able to download a full movie within a few minutes should you have this where you live. I would therefore recommend that members start thinking now about their home network so that they can move smoothly onto the new connection once it arrives where they live.

In the mean time, have fun watching your television and remember that it wasn't all that long ago that we only had a handful of fuzzy channels sent via UHF aerial. Now we have TV programs available via DVB, Satellite and Broadband, how much can one person watch in a day?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I've managed to get hold of some Comtrend Powerline adapters as well. They work very well and are easy to setup.
      Let's hope they're not the DH10P model - there's a product recall on them due to safety issues (risk of electric shock). I note that Netgear are also doing recalls on some of their powerline products too.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

netgear again?

The xe103 were recalled years ago due to a safety concerns and they have done it again?
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old_nick View Post
      Let's hope they're not the DH10P model - there's a product recall on them due to safety issues (risk of electric shock). I note that Netgear are also doing recalls on some of their powerline products too.
      These were/are widely available on eBay, where people supplied with them free with BT Vision, have sold them on. They are also believed to cause RF interference, which may or may not be caused by the same fault.
      Radio and Telly UK News
      and scroll down.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Old_nick View Post
      A good point and I had spotted the recall notice in the searches. I checked against the ones my friend & I have, they are all Ok.

Yes they were from BT. Another friend didn't want them in my case, and my friend's mother in the other case. They were the only good thing about BT Vision.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

leggie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01252
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Newbie question I'm afraid. Do these Home Plugs need to be on the same wiring circuit as each other? In my main fuse box I have seperate isolation trip switches/fuses for the mains upstairs and downstairs. I presume this means they are seperate circuits? My Sky Router is upstairs and my Sky+ Box is downstairs. Could I use these thingies? Thanks for any help. John

Thanks

They should work OK. The demarcation point is the meter, so unless you have 2 meters there should not be a problem.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

I had heard from someone else that the signal only gets lost when at the transformer, so in theory you could share a connection with a neighbour.

Before anyone gets worried though, each pair is synchronised with each other and won't talk with another unit unless it is paired first. This process requires a hands-on approach.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast