Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

McAfee Security Free Trial

This is a discussion on McAfee Security Free Trial within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Just spotted this in the small print on the page explaining Sky Anytime+ from a link posted in the thread ...

Tim1964 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hoddesdon
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

McAfee Security Free Trial

Just spotted this in the small print on the page explaining Sky Anytime+ from a link posted in the thread "How to set it up"

It's about the McAfee 'free' trial.

"....McAfee Security Free Trial: Everyday Lite-3 months, Unlimited-12 months, Connect-3 months, then 3 per month unless you let us know you no longer wish to subscribe....".

I don't remember installing it but I been getting a few pop ups from it so I un-installed it,

How do I go about telling Sky that I "no longer wish to subscribe....".??????

I must have 11+months left but I'd rather not have to argue with Sky next year over this extra 3/month that I never asked for in the first place.

Also, isn't it against some law for a company to install software without permission. I'm sure hiding the "tick this box if you DON'T want it" in the small print is not an excuse either??
      Last edited by Tim1964; 02-11-10 at 12:05 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: McAfee Security Free Trial

You must have used the Sky disk to install your broadband, which is really unnecessary . All it does is install the AV and put an Icon on your desktop, no one here would advise even using it. As for installing without your permission, you must have failed to untick the Install box. This is quite normal, just about everything you install nowadays has extras which you have to untick to stop them being installed. A good example is the never ending supply of toolbars, which are included with just about everything you download.

I have to agree that having to cancel something you don't want that has been pushed on you in this fashion is a bit underhand. This is something AV companies have been criticised for in the past. As for advising them that you don't want it, I think calling Sales on 08442 414 141 may be your best way.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Tim1964 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hoddesdon
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I definitely didn't use the disk with the BB all those years ago, I'm guessing it's when something was updated (CCleaner or FF or one of the many AV/ad-ons progs I have running)

I don't think the the McAfee I have un-installed is the Sky one but just a coincidence with the timing and the spotting it on the forum.

Sky must send out emails to remind customers that the free trial is coming to an end before charging them won't they?????

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Do you not pay the 3 to McAfee ?
      I didnt think it was via the Sky subs.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I'm guessing it's when something was updated (CCleaner or FF or one of the many AV/ad-ons progs I have running)
      Quite possible, I just updated Java on one of my machines and is you don't untick the box it also sticks you with the Yahoo toolbar. My next door neighbour asked me to have a look at her PC a couple of days ago as she could only see part of a page on her browser. She had so many toolbars installed her menu bar stretched half way down her screen. All of them put on when she was installing something else.

You must be vigilant when you install stuff, especially when it is free.

Edit - Just installed the new version of Ccleaner. If you accept all the defaults it will install Google Chrome + Toolbar.
      Last edited by Isitme; 03-11-10 at 02:29 PM. Reason: added info

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.