Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Sky Anytime + (PLUS) roll out update

This is a discussion on Sky Anytime + (PLUS) roll out update within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Software update - Sky+ HD - Digital Spy Forums Find more info here but in summary it mentions October for ...

mnavarra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hengoed
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky Anytime + (PLUS) roll out update

Software update - Sky+ HD - Digital Spy Forums

Find more info here but in summary it mentions October for most people, some are getting it pushed out to them from Aug 26th onwards. Is part of software update for all HD boxes.

Thread talks about P2P method of file set up for the service and other related matters.

Hope this is useful to some of you and new info - did not see it anywhere here.

2. Advertisement
      Kenedin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD Thomson
      Thanks

Re: Sky Anytime + (PLUS) roll out update

Thanks for that. I noticed the dread word 'Kontiki' used. I used to have Sky Player until I noticed my pc uploading stuff to somewhere without my knowledge. Traced it eventually to K-service in 'Services Running'. Not a great fan of having my pc tapped into remotely, and my bandwidth used without my knowledge, then I realised I had consented to this by accepting the terms of the Sky Player agreement. Uninstalled the whole lot, and have never gone back to Sky Player, or any other 'players' , and by extension, am not remotely interested in Anytime+. I wonder how many people are actually aware of what Kontiki does.
      Panasonic TX-P50G10B, Onkyo HTS 3305, Sky+HD Thomson 4E3007 (with upgraded PSU & WD5000AVDS HDD),

Max_Headroom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

When IPlayer first came out it also used Kontiki and i seem to remember there was a stink kicked up because you couldn't disable it (without going into task manager), the BBC then brought out a fix so you had the option not to let it start when the PC booted, I hope we will also have the option.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have read that Sky Anytime + will only be available to Sky BB customers, is this correct?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It wouldn't suprise me if only the Sky Unlimited customer were able to get it, it is going to eat up some bandwidth for customers with a limited amount on other ISP's and packages.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have just been watching a guide on YouTube and the film Hancock was 1.13GB in size so as you say only people with unlimited or a very high allowance are going to use it regularly, having said that I dont want to be forced to become a Sky BB customer just so I can use Anytime+ and would be interested to know if this is legal as we all pay the same price for Sky HD TV.

I have also been reading there will be a wireless adapter available for a "nominal fee" does anyone know any details?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...LQ5CEw&cad=rja

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't be legal, Sky are offering a service for those customers with a capabilities to receive it, this is no different to them offering LLU to some customers or Virgin offering cable to thise in their area.

They cannot be expected to hold the service back until the whole country is unbundled.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't be legal, Sky are offering a service for those customers with a capabilities to receive it, this is no different to them offering LLU to some customers or Virgin offering cable to thise in their area.

They cannot be expected to hold the service back until the whole country is unbundled.
      They dont need to hold it back we already have the means to download and share (Kontiki) Anytime+ content as we have BB with other companies, I think it is unfair to say you have to be a Sky BB customer to get the service, we all pay the same for Sky TV and should have the option to use it or not.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

having said that I dont want to be forced to become a Sky BB customer just so I can use Anytime+ and would be interested to know if this is legal as we all pay the same price for Sky HD TV.
      I think one thing that may stop you getting it with another ISP, is the other ISP. If it is going to work with P2P, many ISP already throttle P2P traffic to protect their network. I can't see them being happy having their bandwidth hogged by Anytime+, a product of one of their competitors. Whether it is legal or not, I don't really know, but as it is being delivered through the router, it can be seen as an enhancement to the Broadband, not the TV and the fact that it is viewable on a TV is incidental. After all, there are still many who have Sky TV and don't have broadband at all.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast