Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Sky Anytime + (PLUS) roll out update

This is a discussion on Sky Anytime + (PLUS) roll out update within the Sky Anytime + forums, part of the Sky On Demand category; Originally Posted by Binary just paint, i think its because lots of people ask which port and color codes help ...

Scy
      Scy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Anytime + (PLUS) roll out update

Quote Originally Posted by Binary View Post
      just paint, i think its because lots of people ask which port and color codes help with sky supplied equiptment
      If a bit of paint saves them a few support calls, I can see how that's useful to them. However, I remember reading that those two coloured ports were 'reserved for future services', one of which has now arrived.

If Sky just painted those ports to save themselves a few support calls at the expense of two perfectly normal ethernet ports I could have used, that would really annoy me. I wouldn't put it past them either, they once told me over the phone that routers other than those they supplied wouldn't work with Sky Broadband. I told them I worked in IT and that I thought that highly unlikely, at which point the lady on the other end got irate and quoted me the T&Cs. Very pleasant it was.

2. Advertisement
      Binary is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

basically, the reason they say that is because their routers have your login details coded deep within them and hard to get out of them, this also gves the customer service a hand because of 1 standard router to work with.

but it is just paint, they are even told that all the ports are the same and when you call and ask which port, they say any, it dosent matter.

i think it is for ease of use, so they can say plug the grey cabe in, plug the green end in, plug the blue end in(i think blue may be for voip), use the yellow cable etc.

absolutley no difference at all in ports or s/w because the hd box only sends out a ping/dhcp request to connect and show OK. in settings
      Bugatti Veyron - One of the greatest engineering projects ever!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If Sky just painted those ports to save themselves a few support calls at the expense of two perfectly normal ethernet ports I could have used, that would really annoy me.
      Were you not aware that all the ports could be used? It would not matter if they were optimised for VoD, they woulld still work as normal ethernet ports. The Sagem with standard firmware has QoS, so it is possible they have optimised a port for VoD, but I doubt it. The standard DG834GT firmware does not have QoS, I don't know about the DG934G or the Dlink.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scy View Post
      f Sky just painted those ports to save themselves a few support calls at the expense of two perfectly normal ethernet ports I could have used, that would really annoy me.
      Have you not tried them to see if they work as normal ports! (PS They do)

Scy
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Were you not aware that all the ports could be used? It would not matter if they were optimised for VoD, they woulld still work as normal ethernet ports. The Sagem with standard firmware has QoS, so it is possible they have optimised a port for VoD, but I doubt it. The standard DG834GT firmware does not have QoS, I don't know about the DG934G or the Dlink.
      Thanks, I was aware, but I'd rather not plug anything into a port with QoS features that I have no control over. For example, if a machine using that port were to use Spotify while another was on a VoIP call, that call could be affected.

That said, chances are it's just a bit of paint on a standard port, but I was wondering if anyone knows for sure.

Binary is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

na, everyboy gets told it just a colour
      Bugatti Veyron - One of the greatest engineering projects ever!

splinterbungee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi folks. When i've gone to my account to upgrade it says "Unfortunately you are not eligible for Sky Anytime+ as your telephone line does not appear to be in a Sky network area."
      I have my phone line and broadband both with sky so am a bit confused. Anyone got any ideas why this might be?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You are on Connect which is not part of the Sky network. Unfortunately you will not be able to get Anytime+ until you move to LLU or Sky open the service to other ISPs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scy
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by splinterbungee View Post
      Hi folks. When i've gone to my account to upgrade it says "Unfortunately you are not eligible for Sky Anytime+ as your telephone line does not appear to be in a Sky network area."
      I have my phone line and broadband both with sky so am a bit confused. Anyone got any ideas why this might be?
      I think Connect is a BT wholesale product. Your ADSL line is connected to BT's equipment at your local exchange because your exchange isn't equipped with Sky equipment. That's why the Connect package offers lower value than the other Sky packages.

Since you're really a rebranded BT customer rather than a Sky customer, you're subject to the fact that Anytime+ currently isn't available to ISPs other than Sky Broadband. Hopefully this will change when Sky either expand the service to other ISPs or they extend their own network to your local exchange. If you're in a rural area, that may take a while.
      Last edited by Scy; 28-10-10 at 03:34 PM.

paul.anthony is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Hello everyone,
      I am new to this forum so hope that i am following correct etiqueete here. I have got the DRX780UK SKY+HD (since Jan 2010), Sky Broadband Unlimited (2 weeks ago) and Sky talk (2 weeks ago), I too have been unable to get anytime+ and received the "sorry your box is incompatible" message. I emailed Jeremey Darroch at BskyB as suggested by others to complain and the response I received is as follows:

"Unfortunately your current HD box is not compatible with the new service. Although you do have an unlimited Broadband package and a TV subscription, the version of your box, 4F30A3, cannot receive the service. A software download would not resolve this"

Needless to say, I then replied back and accused them of false advertsing; because it is advertised that I would get anytime+ if i had HD and broadband with sky, and I then received another message stating that:

"I have received further information from our technical team which I’m pleased to advise that ALL HD boxes will be able to receive the service. However only the newer versions will have access at present with the others being upgraded on a rolling programme. They cannot at this time advise me of when your particular box will be able to access the system"

Where do i go from here? Should I continue with my complaint about false advertsing and insist on a new HD box/immediate update, or should i just grin and bear it until they "roll out" the new service?

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast