Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Router stats - confusing plots....

This is a discussion on Router stats - confusing plots.... within the Router stats forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Spoke to soon.... Latest stats show noise margin all over the place again and getting lots of drop outs. (See ...

Lee 4459 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01329
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Router stats - confusing plots....

Spoke to soon....

Latest stats show noise margin all over the place again and getting lots of drop outs. (See traces below)

Contacted Sky again and this time it was escalated to the Customer Solutions Team.

After carrying out lots of tests and monitoring the line, they have decided that the fault is not broadband but rather a fault on the phone line itself.

There is one further test they want to do; put the old router on to see what the errors are like on that. I will do this Thursday evening and will discuss with CST on Friday afternoon so we can agree on a way forward - basically which type of BT Engineer Sky will request visits the house to do testing.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router stats - confusing plots....-connectionspeed-2011dec31-1325.jpg   Router stats - confusing plots....-noisemargin-2011dec31-1324.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It looks like you may have a bad case of REIN, with a quiet period followed by excessive noise. If this repeats every 24 hours this is almost certainly the problem. Have a look at this piece by Kitz which will give you an idea of what may be happening.
      ::. Kitz - REIN .::

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. This SNR level seems to change over fairly randomly, though that said recently it has been in the middle of the night.

During the tests carried out by SKY CST it was noticed that when I answered the home phone on an incoming call the SNR got better and when I hung up the SNR got worse.

While I agree that it could be REIN it seems that for it to happen during the middle of the night seems very odd - no street lamps coming on or going off at that time, no Xmas tree lights as they have been switched off. Tried with a "normal" wired phone just in case but no change noted.

Also during a call with the CST the engineer could hear noise on the line. I must admit that I couldn't hear it at first but when he rang me back again later I could certainly hear it.

Thanks

During the tests carried out by SKY CST it was noticed that when I answered the home phone on an incoming call the SNR got better and when I hung up the SNR got worse.
      That suggests a high resistance fault, ie water ingress or a loose joint on the line somewhere. If Sky pass this information to BTO they should be able to locate and fix it. BTO have new equipment for detecting this type of fault on LLU lines, so very soon it may be a thing of the past.
      UPDATE BT Improves High Resistance Fault Testing for UK Unbundled Broadband ISP Lines − ISPreview UK News

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Franchise_mark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01903
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Sorry that the matter seems to be getting worse, but the fact that there is now noise on the line convinces me that you have the same problems that I experienced, as stated in my posts in November and December.

While all the other comments are very interesting, your problem is unlikely "to fix itself". Open Reach need to check the line to find the fault. I guess the question is are you happy to pay over a £100 per year for a substandard service? The threat of being charged for the engineer's visit puts many people off. If the worst happens and you are charged, pm me and I will tell you how to get your money back.

Good luck, and don't give up.

Mark

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Franchise_mark For This Useful Post:

Lee 4459 (25-01-12)

Router:
      Thanks

I have had the line checked by Tier 2 at Sky (~1hrs worth of checking) and they reported an imbalance of the wires (external to the house). BT Engineer visited last Friday (sods law the noise margin reported from the router was rock steady from about an hour before he arrived) He checked but could not find any fault on the line - he spent over 2hrs checking (all the way back to the exchange) but all was OK.

2 days later problem returned. Contacted Sky again and they carried out some more checks - the outcome is that the BT Engineer is booked to visit again this Friday so I will let you know what he finds.

If there is no fault when BT carry out their checks then they can't do anything. This, being an intermittent fault, means that they will have to come back again and again until they spot the problem.

Thanks

Mention this to the engineer when he comes. It should give him an idea of what is wrong.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Thanks

Sorry, long time since I posted.

All is now well. After many (and I mean many) vistis from BT the fault was finally traced to a bad connection just outside the house. BT changed the cable and now I am receiving 19Mbps with no problems or drop outs at all :-)

In all of this I was passed through the hands of many Sky Tier 2 people - only one was persistent enough to finally ensure that the fault was traced and corrected. Thanks for your patience and persistance Susan

Thanks to all the other contributors to this thread - your help and guidance is appreciated

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123