Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Router stats - confusing plots....

This is a discussion on Router stats - confusing plots.... within the Router stats forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I think these two sets of figures show you have a serious problem somewhere. Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:448 / 864 Data ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Router stats - confusing plots....

I think these two sets of figures show you have a serious problem somewhere.

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:448 / 864
      Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:0.00 / 0.00
      Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:11.5 / 17.5
      Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:11.0 / 17.0

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:448 / 3,872
      Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:0.00 / 0.00
      Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:11.5 / 19.5
      Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:10.0 / 15.0
      Even with the higher attenuation you should be getting 8128. Do you have another router you could try? The Sky one would do if you have it yet. It does not need to connect, just shown the sync speeds.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Lee 4459 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01329
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Just had Sky BB installed.... traces are completely different and the speed way faster

I know it is going through the router set-up phase at the moment but BB has rarely dropped out so far.

It appears that ISitme was correct - all that I have changed is the router, everything else is exactly the same as before when I was obtaining awful results - just may help someone in the future if they are having the same router stats as I was having at the start of this post
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router stats - confusing plots....-noisemargin-2011dec03-1754.jpg   Router stats - confusing plots....-connectionspeed-2011dec03-1753.jpg  

Thanks

Although all you have changed is the router, the line to the exchange being exactly the same, the equipment in the exchange is completely different.

Your stats are the most interesting thing, it would be nice if you could post these.
      How to get your router statistics

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Thanks

Hi Isitme,

Stats below

System Up Time: 115:50:03
      PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp TimeWANMER399439120464601567214:06:50LANUp64181613 7484209712115:50:03WLANUp120663896304802464363115: 49:41ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstreamConnection Speed3729 kbps287 kbpsLine Attenuation18.0 dB11.1 dBNoise Margin7.7 dB6.8 dBPoll Interval: (secs, at least 3s)

I will try and sort out an image.....
      Last edited by Lee 4459; 04-12-11 at 06:25 PM.

Router:
      Thanks

Hi Isitme,

Router stats are currently:
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router stats - confusing plots....-rsz_router_stats_1.jpg  

Router:
      Thanks

Hi,

May just be a 10 day period issue (been on Sky BB since 30/11/11) but the following stats have been recorded in the past 24 hrs - cause for concern? This is similar to my stats with my old ISP (but without the drop outs)
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router stats - confusing plots....-noisemargin-2011dec04-1740.jpg   Router stats - confusing plots....-connectionspeed-2011dec04-1740.jpg  

Thanks

The erratic noise margin and the low figures for the upload in your stats show that there is a problem somewhere. This can sometimes be caused by a dodgy filter, but as you have changed this before, it may not be in your case. Even so, I would try changing the filter again. If you have the cable for a dial up modem, the one for the Sky digibox would do, try that and see if it improves the connection. It would mean you are without a phone while you check, but it will be worth it in ruling out the filter.

If it is nnot the filter, and the router and the equipment in the exchange has been changed, that only leaves the line from your house to the exchange. It must have a fault somewhere. Unfortunately if your voice line is OK, Sky will be reluctant to do anything about it till your DLM training is complete.They nearly always use this as a fob off with complaints in the first 10 days. If you are having problems with the voice line, that is different as it should take precedence over the broadband. Plug a corded phone into the Test socket, dial 1 digit and listen. There should be no noise, if there is it is a good sign as it means the voice line can be reported as having a fault, this being repaired will help the broadband.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Franchise_mark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01903
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hi. Sorry to see that you are still having problems. You have my sympathy as I too jumped through all the hoops before accepting that it must be a fault with the line.

As Isitme suggests, finding even the faintest crackle on a quiet line test will help your case enormously. The Open Reach engineers were generally very sympathetic when they called (5 visits in total). There was only one who was awkward and he did process a charge. However, when the fault was still there after his visit, BT reversed the charge for me.

Router:
      Thanks

Hi, just an update:

Currently no change to the noise margin reported by my new router (all over the place). Man from Sky stated he would ring me back to try and have a look at the problem in more detail but suggested in the meantime that I change the filter and also use a "standard" phone to check the line.

Installed the new filter and also the "standard" phone (wired) but nothing changes (not suprised). Quiet line test reveals nothing - no hissing, crackling etc

The Sky man didn't call me back yesterday, as he said he would - this is the second time the Sky Tech support have promised to ring me back but haven't. Maybe I am too trusting when people say they will do something.

Anyhow, the line speed was happy running at ~3.5Mbps though being <0.5km from the exchange Sky were expecting between 11 and 18Mbps.

Today the line speed increased to 6.2Mbps and the noise margin has suddenly settled down at ~27dB - interesting.....
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router stats - confusing plots....-connectionspeed-2011dec30-1841.jpg   Router stats - confusing plots....-noisemargin-2011dec30-1841.jpg  

Thanks

There is light at the end of the tunnel, it looks like the fault has fixed itself or been repaired..

If your noise margin stays stable, within 2 or 3 db, call Sky and ask them to manually configure your line as a fault has been repaired. You should get the 18Mb you were promised.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast