Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Getting CST to un-cap speed?

This is a discussion on Getting CST to un-cap speed? within the Router stats forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; We are all "flying blind" on this, so lets see what Shorty comes back with. As for Sky routers and ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Getting CST to un-cap speed?

We are all "flying blind" on this, so lets see what Shorty comes back with. As for Sky routers and attenuation, my Sagem will happly bounce around 30 to 35db as it displays noise readings. there is no change in sync speed.
      My Speedtouch is rock steady at 25dB. Both provide a rock steady 16meg. The true attenuation is 22.6dB at 300khz
      Last edited by Brian69; 18-09-08 at 03:49 PM. Reason: forgot to add frequency

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

That's got me confused

"True attenuation" - what's that? (attenuation, in this sense being a measure for a given frequency). Are you referring to a test frequency or an approximation of particular ADSL mode frequencies? Edit: just seen your edit. How is testing at 300khz in any sense the "true attenuation"? Still confused.

I don't have a Sagem so I can't comment from personal experience but "bouncing around" doesn't sound like normal behaviour. The two Netgears and two Linksys I've run on my Sky connection have never changed by more than 0.5db over extended periods of use. Each one of course reports a different attenuation, there being no "standard" measure of attenuation that each router manufacturer adopts.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Of course attenuation is frequency dependent (before retireing from BT, I took a great deal of interest in my line and the 300khz attenuation test was one I did)
      My point is that routers only give a rough indication of what is going on, for the reasons you say.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12