At the moment its allowed at my grandchildren's school but now it will go all round the schools now its been advertised by the news papers.
I can recall the days when it was perfectly normal to buy or win a cake or some other edible foodstuff at various venues such as fete and galas and the like. I used to participate and eat the item.
For many years though, I have refrained from this sort of thing because you just don't know what is in the food or whether it was produced in hygienic conditions.
I realise that there is no way to ensure that food I consume is safe but the chances are much higher if obtained from a reputable outlet.
I have to say though, that I am extra fussy. An example would be that someone mistakenly takes a sip from my cup of tea. There is no way I could drink that no matter who the person was that took the sip. I had an unfortunate experience in a hospice when my father in law was dying. He mistakenly took a sip from my cup of unsweetened tea, realised his mistake and it was passed to me. I couldn't drink it and the look he gave me was awful bearing in mind he was dying. I have never forgotten that look, but I will not change.
When I was a boy and I would be out all day with other kids from the local area building dens all day and climbing trees, we would often club together to buy a bottle of pop. Unless I could take the first swig, I would go without. I just could not bring myself to take a swig after anyone else. I just find it a revolting thought.
I dare say if it was a survival issue, I would do it, but it would be difficult.
I too think the Teacher was correct. Apart from the chance of some child being allergic to something in the cake, with today's 'sue them for anything attitude', its just not worth the risk.