Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

UTorrent Killing Connection

This is a discussion on UTorrent Killing Connection within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; Steve Click on PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall Find the sky netgear router and then ...

Thieftakers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Washington
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: UTorrent Killing Connection

Steve

Click on PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall

Find the sky netgear router and then program u-torrent this will show you how to set up utorrent with sky

I had the same problem but it works fine now - Sky do throttle your connection though on connect. They did with me I had to add encryption.

Good luck

2. Advertisement
      armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I noticed that in the Azerus tutorial it suggests using a port other than the default to avoid throttling. Personally I doubt if this would work, ISPs who want to block and throttle traffic use systems like Packeteer, Cisco SCE 1000 or what ever Juniper, Foundry and Fortinet offer. These are Layer 7 snoopers which even identify encrypted P2P traffic and shape it accordingly. Don't think that ISPs are so unsophisticated that changing the default port will bypass traffic shaping.

Just thought i'd add a nice little image to show where your traffic gets shaped. :-)
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UTorrent Killing Connection-cdccont_0900aecd801d8564_0900aecd8054f34c-2.jpg  
      Last edited by armitasp; 09-03-07 at 01:38 PM.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

They only shape on the Connect package though, and rumour has it if you turn on the encryption it helps
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

jins09 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marbar2k View Post
      I have done the speed test thing when i set it up and UPNP is also disabled. My problem seems the same as dannyg21, it starts at full speed then gets slower until the connection dies.

could it be anything to do with the ports? i have no idea how to do this though. is there any guides?
      how do you do a speed test?
      Last edited by jins09; 04-06-07 at 04:43 PM. Reason: typo

stefanpet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marbar2k View Post
      has anyone got a guide to setting up utorrent. there was a topic on it but the link is dead
      Check this site out: PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall

There are two things to do, to make your torrent downloading as good as it is possible. First is to have a static IP address and second is to forward your ports in manner your torrent client requests. Each torrent client needs different settings (port forwarding). On the website above you have exact explanation how to make static IP address, than you choose your router from the list, then you choose the torrent client that you have from the list and then you get full explanation on how to set your torrent client.

It's not very hard and complicated !

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Frankly, I'm not very fond of torrent downloading. In many cases download is very slow because of few or even none seeders and peers and than you could download 300MB for 5 days and there is nothing you can do about it. Personally I really like Rapidshare.com way of sharing files. I even have an account there, it's far better than any torrent downloading and the principle is similar, I mean similar in finding things that you want to download, instead of torrents you find on special forums (forumw.org, forumempire.com, PuZo.org, katz.cx etc..) links for downloading, each link is usually 100mb big packed as an *.rar or *zip archive so if the file is 1gb big you'll find about 10 links to download. The main difference is that download is as fast as your internet connection speed is and it drops never. So if you want to download entire TV show season which is for example 4gb large, and you have for example 8Mb/s internet connection you'll download it in an hour and 10 minutes, or few minutes more. And that's fun. Of course you need to pay some for the account but it's no big deal, because it's so good.

Of course from time to time you'll just need to use torrent for really rare stuff, that you can't find elsewhere, but frankly didn't happen to me yet !
      Last edited by stefanpet; 16-06-07 at 12:12 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jins09 View Post
      how do you do a speed test?
      Go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

From there just peak the server for testing: yellow triangle is recommended. And that's it, after you're done you'll see a picture like this and links for posting on forums for example, or to send to someone you want:
      Last edited by stefanpet; 16-06-07 at 12:14 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12