Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

P2P Problem

This is a discussion on P2P Problem within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; Okay, I've done all the stuff required to get P2P working - assigned a static IP , forwarded the ports ...

Gareth Williams is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

P2P Problem

Okay, I've done all the stuff required to get P2P working - assigned a static IP, forwarded the ports etc. And for a while, programs like Soulseek and Bitlord were running at full download speed (eMule had a strange problem where the upload speeds were excessive and download speeds minimal/nonexistant, a problem I still haven't managed to solve). But recently my speeds for P2P have hit LowID standard. They are occasionally (usually overnight so I don't get to witness it) faster - a few of my downloads in Soulseek last night finished at 20kbs or so which is a vast improvement, but by the next morning they were rock bottom again. Right now my download/upload total speed in Soulseek is approximately 7.2kbs, and that's adding up the scattering of extremely slow downloads that I'm able to achieve (which are mostly less than a kb). The speed would seem to indicate that the ports are blocked, although they aren't (I've tried various ports, including 80). The strangest thing is the results I get from the Soulseek port check - they're completely random. It either says the port is open or closed, and if I refresh the port check page it seems to do an eeny meeny miny mo type thing - Open, *refresh*, Closed, *refresh*, Closed, *refresh*, Open etc.

I have wireless networking in the house - my parents use a laptop downstairs and my sister's computer in the room next door.

This is probably Sky's fault (they seem pretty temperamental in their service to say the least) and it may be down to some unwritten rule of Sky Connect (ie. maybe the limits extend furthur than the monthly usage policy), but I decided to post here and see if anyone else has had similar experiences.

EDIT: Oh, and UPnP is turned off. It doesn't make any difference to my download speed whether I use it or not.
      Last edited by Gareth Williams; 07-03-07 at 08:09 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: P2P Problem

Could be traffic shaping...which, as you're on Connect, is probably down to BT rather than Sky (Connect is just a re-sold ADSL Max service).

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I thought so too, which is why I upgraded to Sky Max a few hours ago. I'm still having the same problem, though. The person on the phone claimed that it had just been activated/upgraded. I can't see a blind bit of difference. I did get 90kbs for a short period earlier but it quickly shot back down to 3kbs or so. And the port check still gives the same indeterminate results.

I don't get it. I thought Sky Max didn't have any limits, but it looks like I'm still subject to traffic shaping. It's pathetic really - I've only been using Sky for a few weeks and they're already mucking about.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sorry to say, you cannot upgrade from Connect to MAX in such a short time period. It takes at least 3 days for BT to do the work, and thats if Sky actually make the request for you.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      and thats if Sky actually make the request for you.
      What do you mean?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I thought so too, which is why I upgraded to Sky Max a few hours ago
      To change from Connect to MAX, it has to be ordered by Sky through BT to physically change the way that your telephone line connects to your house. MAX is provided by SKY / Easynet on technology called LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) Connect is delivered through BT's own hardware.

This change will take minimum 3 days (more likely 5 -7) to happen as it involves a BT engineer to go to the exchange and physically change the connection.

The person on the phone claimed that it had just been activated/upgraded.
      I think the person on the phone mean't to mean that your exchange has now been LLU activated, ie Sky / Easynet have now upgraded your exchange and so can accept MAX or any of the LLU packages, not that that person can physically do it there and then. There have been no documented cases of a person changing from Connect to MAX or any other LLU package so far.

I thought Sky Max didn't have any limits,
      The only limit on MAX is an unofficial 250gb download, although has never been enforced. To the best of my knowledge, there is no shaping on this package or any of the LLU packages.

What do you mean?
      You have about as much chance of been on MAX now, as me eating Turkey this Christmas. Sorry m8 you have been mistold information. Ring them back to find out etc.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 09-03-07 at 08:37 PM.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Chaos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01606
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quick one on emule - and I'm not saying it'll work for everyone, but it did for me!

I did all the port forwarding, changing ports, etc, etc, but even though I had a high ID and uploads were super quick, downloads were a joke (virtually nil, despite long sessions, etc)

So - having already switched off UPnP in my router (as per suggestion on another thread - which, incidentally, immediately cured all connection issues and made the line stable), I thought I'd turn it off in my network connection too. It appears under the exceptions tab and the advanced tab in the LAN settings - mine was only checked (ie ON) in the exceptions tab, so I just unchecked the box out of curiosity.

Slowly but surely the d/l speed crept up, and within the hour I was getting 100+ KB/s!!!

My max d/l since this tweak has been 250+ KB/s and even after a reboot of PC and router (just out of curiosity again), the d/l rate has remained constantly at 100+ once a session has been running 40 minutes or so!!

The onlt thing worth keeping an eye on is whether the server issues you a high or low ID on connection. I just keep trying different servers till I get a high ID - although in the interests of science, I might leave myself on a low ID server at some point to see what effect it has.

Anyway, hope someone can make use of this info...............

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi

The problem which you suggest a workaround will artificially work I suppose this is because Mid contains no shaping, Connect does.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
      Quick one on emule - and I'm not saying it'll work for everyone, but it did for me!

I did all the port forwarding, changing ports, etc, etc, but even though I had a high ID and uploads were super quick, downloads were a joke (virtually nil, despite long sessions, etc)

So - having already switched off UPnP in my router (as per suggestion on another thread - which, incidentally, immediately cured all connection issues and made the line stable), I thought I'd turn it off in my network connection too. It appears under the exceptions tab and the advanced tab in the LAN settings - mine was only checked (ie ON) in the exceptions tab, so I just unchecked the box out of curiosity.

Slowly but surely the d/l speed crept up, and within the hour I was getting 100+ KB/s!!!

My max d/l since this tweak has been 250+ KB/s and even after a reboot of PC and router (just out of curiosity again), the d/l rate has remained constantly at 100+ once a session has been running 40 minutes or so!!

The onlt thing worth keeping an eye on is whether the server issues you a high or low ID on connection. I just keep trying different servers till I get a high ID - although in the interests of science, I might leave myself on a low ID server at some point to see what effect it has.

Anyway, hope someone can make use of this info...............
      Thanks. I'll try that if the problems with eMule persist on Max.

I have uPnP turned off in Soulseek, but that isn't the problem as NewsreadeR said - its the traffic shaping, which I'm trying to sort out by upgrading. The only reason I got Sky Connect is because, at the time, Max wasn't available in my area. Now I wish I'd stuck with Tiscali for a bit longer instead