Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What to put in email to sky ?

This is a discussion on What to put in email to sky ? within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; Hi guys, I've got sky broadband max installed a couple weeks ago, and been reading on this forum a lot ...

medic1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What to put in email to sky ?

Hi guys,

I've got sky broadband max installed a couple weeks ago, and been reading on this forum a lot since, because apperently my speeds have been capped at 3 MBps (instead of the promised 16 mbps).

I've got a couple replies in this topic and i've got given the advice to send them an email, but i'm not sure what to put in that email.

Also i don't really know what a "tier" is, could anyone please explain that ?

I'd rather email sky to get them to remove this cap than calling them since i've only recently moved to the UK (from Holland) so i prefer typing to calling.

I've got

- sky broadband max,
      - that white wireless Netgear sky broadband router (product name: 108 MBps Super Wireless ADSL Router)
      - Belkin wireless G+ MIMO usb network adapter.

Did an online speedtest :

3509 kbps download
      467 kpbs upload

And i was indeed downloading with around 3.5 MBps just a couple of minutes ago.

Router stats :

And i've tried using that TCP optimising tric from this topic as well, but that didn't help

And i've got this advice from an other user here :

you seem to have been capped by Sky as you are synching at 8Mb (8096kbps), yet your attenuation of 21db means you should synch around 14Mb or even the full whack of 16Mb. You'll need to contact sky.

But i don't really know what to put in the email, so if anyone could help me on the way with the email a bit i would be very gratefull.

Medic-one

2. Advertisement
      TELEMETRY is offline Sky User Clan Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cool Re: What to put in email to sky ?

True, True, you do seem to be capped at the 8mb mark, I would suggest like me that you are not on ADSL+2, like me. Reason like so many others is that yopur line is not capable or that Sky have just got there sums wrong.
      At the end of the day, you are getting 8mb for a tenner.
      Be happy with what you have as many others don't even get what you have got.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: What to put in email to sky ?

Quote Originally Posted by TELEMETRY View Post
      At the end of the day, you are getting 8mb for a tenner.
      But if i'm capped at 8mb why can't i get any higher speeds then 3.5 mb ?

3.6mb is the max i've had so far, and since i came from a 10mb provider (my previous isp) in Holland i'm not really to happy with this.

I signed up for a 16 mb package so i think i should get more than just that 3mb.

If i'd knew this before i'd probably would have gone with a different, more expensive provider.

dpearce33 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It may not be a Sky problem. The speed you receive is determined by how far you are from your exchange not by how fast the service you purchase.
      e.g. I was with a premium ISP which, in theory, gave me 16Mb but in reality I could never get more than 1.0MB because that is all BT can suuport on my line.
      I am now with the Sky Mid Pack and I am getting 1.4Mb and not the 8Mb theoretically possible. Until BT build a new exchange closer to me I am stuck with a slow connection.

internetuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Benton
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I connect at between 12-14meg. (Sky Max)

Some times I can pull stuff down from newsgroups at full wack, around 1.4-6meg a sec, random days and times. So its not the on or off peak thing.

yet other days, times, router rebouts i am lucky to get 200kbps

No idea what is wrong either.....

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dpearce33 View Post
      It may not be a Sky problem. The speed you receive is determined by how far you are from your exchange not by how fast the service you purchase.
      e.g. I was with a premium ISP which, in theory, gave me 16Mb but in reality I could never get more than 1.0MB because that is all BT can suuport on my line.
      I am now with the Sky Mid Pack and I am getting 1.4Mb and not the 8Mb theoretically possible. Until BT build a new exchange closer to me I am stuck with a slow connection.
      According to another user (and i've read more of his posts and he seems to be knowing where he's talking about) i should get higher speeds :

yet your attenuation of 21db means you should synch around 14Mb or even the full whack of 16Mb. You'll need to contact sky

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well i've just send an email to their helpdesk saying i'm not happy with my speeds and i've added my router details (saying i'm at the G.DMT mode as well) and everything and i've asked them to up me to adsl2+ so i'll just have to wait and see what happens next.