Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Traffic Shaping On connect Package

This is a discussion on Traffic Shaping On connect Package within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; Hi All As most of the regulars will know traffic shaping/management is taking place on the connect package. An explanation ...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Traffic Shaping On connect Package

Hi All
      As most of the regulars will know traffic shaping/management is taking place on the connect package. An explanation of this was muted in posts prior to xmas. I know some of you have been busy resolving your own problems (NR) and transfering to the new server (ALL). Is there any progress on this explanation which I feel should be brought to the attention of potential new users who may be lulled by sky into the promise of an 8mb connection which will in fact perform much worse than there existing provider. I was on a 2mb connection with bt which had no traffic shaping on it and although bt tried to entice me off it I resisted until sky came along and then I jumped without looking.
      Regards
      Dave
      PS happy new year to all

2. Advertisement
      gurvy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Barr
      Broadband ISP: Max - 14MB - ADSL2
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Traffic Shaping On connect Package

Hi, I understand your fustration but Sky don't promise a 8MB connection , rather upto 8MB which is totally different. I don't have a problem with my connect when downloading of http sites and ever since i registered with a private tracker my torrents are now working well with good speeds.

If you are using utorret try forcing the encryption and get yourself a registration/invite with some private trackers, also use a high numbered port.
      Last edited by gurvy; 12-01-07 at 12:21 AM. Reason: extra info

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Nope we have not got any further in all honesty as we have had a hectic time, as you know.

Now we have the server move and the new site out of the way, we can spend more time on improving the content on here.

My priorities are as follows:

1) Tie Pairs

2) Traffic Shaping

3) Updating FAQs etc

4) More tutorials

5) News stories features

6) New Poll / Survey implementation

7) Wiki

I will be asking some of the admins on here to try and take over some of the above, to help speed it up etc. But rest assured we are full steam ahead.

You would not believe how much time we spend on here, its quite an eye opener tbh.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Thanks for your reply mate. i understand the upto 8mb bit but the point i was trying to make is that there is a huge difference between up to 8mb on connect and any of the llu packages when using newsgroups or torrents - sky do not tell you this when you sign up and as i mentioned an explanation of this was muted earlier - which would help potential customers.. I also have no problem with http sites. i use utorrent and have encription and a high port enabled. does the registration with a private tracker cost and how is this done ? what speeds to you achieve with this ?
      regards dave

Thanks

NR - i hope you realise that this was in no way a criticism of anything you have done - this site is the dogs - if you need any help with anything and you think i could just ask
      dave

Thanks
      Blog Entries

does the registration with a private tracker cost and how is this done ?
      Basically there are websites that are behind closed doors so to speak. These offer downloads from private members so there is little chance of been caught.

The beauty of these, is as everyone does not just leech, the speed and quality of torrents is very good. However you have to be invited, this way it keeps the chances of getting members from official bodies very low.

In a way its like a secret club.

As for the speeds issues, I have had it proved to me and a couple of admin that the speeds of the throttling are not as severe as people are reporting. This could be numerous issues and also Sky may have increased the level. Hence the complaints. There are so many different factors regarding torrents there is no definitive answer.

One thing is for sure though, if torrents were not throttled on Connect your overall broadband experience ie http etc would suffer.

The cost of a BT Central iirc is approx 1.5 million per year and theoretically a handful of users could fill all of the available capacity of this by downloading 24 hours a day at full speed.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Would anyone like to invite me ?
      i understand all the points you are making.
      The point I keep trying to make is that this is not explained to new customers and they blindly sign up to a service which is no better than what they already have - also as more join up it gets worse for everyone.
      dave

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Fully understand your point of view, but tbh no other ISP does either.

As for invites, as long as they are done outside the forums, we have no objection.

However for the sake of clarity we do not allow links for illegal downloads.

Thanks

Do you think that the same policy will be applied to max as it become more widely available?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

What we have to remember on Connect, it is not Sky's hardware, it is BT's.

Therefore Sky effectively rent it off BT. On Base, Mid, Max, this is Sky's hardware and so potentially pay less for the cost of shifting data across the internet.

If everyone in the UK goes onto one of the Sky LLU products and starts downloading the internet etc, then I would assume at some point yes.

Until that time I would not worry too much. Think of traffic shaping like a set of traffic lights on our roads.

It allows more cars onto the roads, by giving control etc to junctions so everyone gets a fair slice of the road and go along their journey.

Bad analogy I know but a simple one. Without traffic lights, the roads would come to a standstill as everyone tries to turn right or left etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast