Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

emule help pls!

This is a discussion on emule help pls! within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; Yes, Thats becuase most likely the BRAS has given your line a set stable profile!...

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: emule help pls!

Yes, Thats becuase most likely the BRAS has given your line a set stable profile!

2. Advertisement
      Shooty* is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The lingerie does what now???

Made the mistake of turning the computer off. Connection now sh*t again.

I also find it very, very strange that I'm able to upload to people at speed, but can't download. Does traffic shaping not apply to uploads? Presumably not, if those people are not with Sky, from the look of it.

Fibreoptic, I appreciate your help, but I'm afraid my knowledge of these things is apparently way less than yours, so I don't understand what you're saying.
      Last edited by Shooty*; 01-03-07 at 12:00 PM.

azimuth2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Southport
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have used Emule for 5 yrs now

On AOL 512 connection I always had FULL download speeds 60kBps

Now with SKY (LLU MAX 8Mb - Sync @ 5700 - 6800kbps)

I achieved a new record of 13.47Gb downloaded yesterday

In Emule I have set 'Hard limit' - 750 and 'Max Connections' - 800

Downloads limited to 400 kB/s
      Uploads " 45 kB/s

I have only forwarded 2 ports in Router these are the 'Client Ports' shown on Emule connection page - both TCP & UDP Outbound & Inbound

Norton has not had ports opened - Emule is an allowed application on that PC.

I am more than happy as you can see

NOTE about Emule - Like ALL P2P progs, things are getting tighter - but for now it is possible to SEARCH & FIND what you look for BUT..... it gets more difficult every day that passes.

I am happy to pass on further info. if needed regarding my other settings.

PS: BEST FORUM for SKY users

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Um... right, but I don't get your point.

800 connections is unnecessary, and, if you don't mind me saying so, if you're uing the sky router, I'm surprised it's not blown up. Lowering it to about 150 is sufficient for most routers. I'm not sure of the tech details, but have a look at the emule forum where we've chewed this over in some detail.

You will be aware, of course, that Hard Limit means the max number of sources per download file that appear in your list, right? I have mine set about the same as you.

SEARCHING on emule is no problem whatsoever. Connecting to peers so that they can transfer IS a problem. Next time you mule, have a look see at the number of times you reach the front of someone's queue and emule tries to innitiate a download, but it just sits there at 0kbps for 5 minutes until it gives up.

azimuth2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Southport
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Shooty

1) 800 connections is unnecessary? but you dont say how successful your search, find & download speeds to completion are, however I will try this LOWER limit and advise.

2) Hard limit - Agreed!

3) I do get the 0kb issue, BUT only on the very RARE files searched (my partners love of VERY OBSCURE music)
      I dont think that 0kb issue has ever occured for me with a high user availability file.

But different settings in the startup wizard could affect this - yes?

Finally as you are on 'connect' and can achieve 130kbps I'm surprised yet pleased as that 'obfuscation' option might be similar to encryption with 'torrents' and bypassing the 'throttling others are getting.

More info on your settings would help everyone on this issue I am sure.

Ciao

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hey,
      Thanks for your helpful reply.

The point about max connections is something to do with a routers NAT table. I don't understand it, personally, but I've had it explained to me on the emule forum. The more connections you specify, the more likely your router is to become unstable by the experience, resulting in (most notably and easiest to spot) an unstable upload graph. As a rule of thumb, if you're sharing a decent amount of files, your upload graph should remain a steady, straight line.

You may also want to change the max number of new connections per 10 seconds in the "advanced" options page to something around 9 - 12. Again, technical people have advised me on this and it's always worked. Other than that, I have very standard settings.

My main point, really, was that it tends to be luck of the draw on "connect" as to whether you get a rocking connection (I'm mainly DLs things with about 200 - 400 sources, which I count as a good number) or a crappy one. Sometimes it rules, sometimes not.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

For some reason, it's not letting me edit that entry. I also meant to say:

Max connections has nothing to do with search or find, and only a limited amount to do with DL as I understand it. It regulates the people DLing from you (let's say 5 or 6 of your connections), the people you DL from (let's say 10 - 20 for the sake of argument) and all the others are people getting in your queue, or you getting in theirs. THis is important to note: once you are in someone's queue, that connection is NOT maintained, it is dropped and both computers remember where you are in the queue, and check occasionally, connecting to each other again. That's how it's been explained to me, anyway. I may have made it too simple.

Chaos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01606
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I'd LOVE to hear how you're getting emule to work properly - as I've just about tried everything (including calling the not-so-helpful-desk at Sky).

Uploads are fine, downloads are a joke. I've messed with everything - including ports (currently running one in the 64xxx region)

I get a high ID, obfiscated connection and my UL/DL ratio is well weighted into the UL side. Ports are open on the router, in XP firewall (exceptions and on the network connection under advanced) and there's nowt else in the way - so WTF??

Please tell me what settings you've got running - love to give them a try!!!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Dude, you see, that's just it:

It's NOT ABOUT the settings. From me experience it's entirely random whether you get a good connection for DLs or not. Some days you do, some days you don't.

What I am doing now is getting home, put the computer on and leave it for an hour. I'll have, say, 6 - 10 downloads with 400 sources each and a few rare things going. If, after that hour has elapsed, my DL speed has not topped, say, 20 kbps (and this is important: I mean topped 20 kbps AT ALL, not just a steady continual DL rate, but risen to that level at all, for no matter how short a period), then I decide that it's a crap connection, and I turn the machine off for the night.

Then I try the next night. Which might be as bad. So I try the next night. Which might work. Or it might not.

As long as you ensure that your ports are forwarded correctly, try this method and see how you do after, say, a week. Just try it for an hour every night. With popular files, if you've not got a decent speed after an hour, my belief is that you won't get a decent speed at all for that session.

Emule, by it's very nature, does not give a constant dl speed and can have period of inactivity, but if you have an hour downloading popular files and you don't make any significant progress, then something is really wrong.
      Last edited by Shooty*; 06-03-07 at 03:08 PM.

Chaos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01606
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

This isn't about the pros and cons of emule - I've been using it long enough to realise that sometimes files can take days - or even weeks - to DL. My point is simple. On Onetel, with a max 2mb connection, my downloads - even on a fairly poor session (which run for a few days at a time, not just a few hours) would run at 6 or 7 times the speed I get now. My max speed on Sky hasn't even reached my cumulative average speed that I used to get - not once!!

Something, somewhere is choking the connection - and if so many people are having so many problems with all manner of P2P software, then it kind of points to a common denominator..........

Anyway - Azimuth - a run down of your settings would be great - at least I can give them a run, as I'm all out of options...........

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast