Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Limewire Speed Slow

This is a discussion on Limewire Speed Slow within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; Yes its shows supercharged, tried that portforward a bit complicated was getting to a certain point and it was not ...

stevieveg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMLON
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes its shows supercharged, tried that portforward a bit complicated was getting to a certain point and it was not giving me the page has shown on the websites set up procedure. Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I dont have the router settings for limewire, well i do in print from portforward.com, but i just keep getting to a certain point during set up and i am not getting the same screen has the shown on portforward.coms website

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What are the settings I posted (post #2) at the beginning of this thread?

I set out a step by step guide!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Thanks for that i tried your step by step guide but its still not having none, unless im doing something wrong, in limewire settings do i put my own port number in listening port and manually configure port and then select that or do i leave it on uPnP? mind you ive tried both. Has the connect package saga goes i signed up for thE Max package and was told thats what i will recieve but with the process switching over isp taking so long there were no more slots left at my exchange,(well thats what Sky Says). I will cahnge my profile. Any more help would be great, Cheers Saturday

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Choose a high number port (e.g. 39123) and set this in Limewire. Use this port number in setting up the router. Limeware is UPnP aware so you shouldn't need to port forward. However the UPnP implementation is poor on this router and many people turn it off.

However this could all be academic. You now say you're on Connect (rather than Max as your profile states) so I suspect you're suffering from the same problem that some other Connect customers are - very low P2P speeds but OK downloads. There is a thread elsewhere that covers this.

One can only assume that some form of traffic shaping is being implemented, though that's just a guess. One way to get around this would be to use a P2P client that supports encrypted traffic as this makes P2P hard to identify and hence hard to "throttle". I don't think Limewire has this capability but I don't know for sure, I haven't looked.

The Grim Reaper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burslem
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Talking

If you don't like your anti virus try AVG anti virus. I have had this for two years and never had prob with it. It stops everything there are a constant flow of updates. Also it's free from their website to home users. Find it at their site www.avguk.com

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Moved to the correct forum
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

TheWhizzz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: 02
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      No definitely not Norton!

If you're happy with McAfee then leave it on your system. The reason that a lot of people don't like it is that a lot of its functionality is hidden from the user so it can be a real pain to work out if and why it might be causing problems. Simply disabling it may not remove its influence on a PCs connection. I can't help you with McAfee settings - someone else may - you will need to allow Limewire in the McAfee rules.

I don't think Limewire's a nasty product. I occasionally use it and Shareazza for P2P though I use usenet (Astraweb) and torrents (utorrent) far more.

You now have the router settings for Limewire. Was there something else you're worried about in your router settings?
      and whats up with nortons ?? is it a crap firewall then?? been using it 4 a week and its been ok except a bit slow in starting up pc now lol

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Personal bias.

In my experience the antivirus application is just about OK but the complete package of Internet Security is a nightmare - bloated, power sapping, interfering and a pain in the proverbial.

I once had the pleasure of helping someone remove this from their PC and boy was it hard to clear its effects from the system and return it back to normal. It would have been easier to format and reload the o/s.

YMMV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12