Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree3Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie
    • 2 Post By pete.i

iTunes is Illegal Under UK Copyright Law

This is a discussion on iTunes is Illegal Under UK Copyright Law within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; https://torrentfreak.com/itunes-is-i...ht-law-150805/ The High Court recently overturned private copying exceptions introduced last year by the UK Government, once again outlawing the ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

iTunes is Illegal Under UK Copyright Law

https://torrentfreak.com/itunes-is-i...ht-law-150805/
      The High Court recently overturned private copying exceptions introduced last year by the UK Government, once again outlawing the habits of millions of citizens. The Intellectual Property Office today explains that ripping a CD in iTunes is no longer permitted, and neither is backing up your computer if it contains copyrighted content.

Late last year the UK Government legalized copying for private use, a practice which many citizens already believed to be legal. The UK Intellectual Property Office noted that the changes were “in the best interest” of consumers and that they would bring copyright law into the 21st century.

However, the new regulation was short-lived. Fearing a loss of income several music groups objected at the High Court, which subsequently agreed that the new legislation is unlawful.

As a result the changes were overturned last month and the previous limitations were reinstated. To find out what the public can and can’t do under the law, TF reached out to the UK Intellectual Property Office, which provided some very clear answers.

“It is now unlawful to make private copies of copyright works you own, without permission from the copyright holder – this includes format shifting from one medium to another,” a spokesperson informed us.

The IPO specifically notes that copying a CD to an MP3 player is not permitted. This means that iTunes’ popular ripping feature, which Apple actively promotes during the software’s installation, is illegal.

Also, under the current law iTunes is actively facilitating copyright infringement by promoting their CD-ripping functionality. This means that the company could face significant claims for damages.

There is more though, as the law affects much more than just ripping CDs. Simply copying a song in an automated computer backup or storing a copy on a private cloud hosting service is also against the law.

“…it includes creating back-ups without permission from the copyright holder as this necessarily involves an act of copying,” we were informed by the Government spokesperson.

Strictly speaking this means that UK citizens are not allowed to make a backup of their computer. After all, pretty much every computer contains copyrighted media. Needless to say, this turns almost the entire country into ‘outlaws’.

The Government is not happy with the High Court decision but it hasn’t decided whether it will propose revised private copying exceptions in the future. Copyright holders previously suggested allowing private copying in exchange for a tax on blank CDs and hard drives.

“As this is a complex area of law, the Government is carefully considering the implications of the ruling and the available options, before deciding any future course of action.”

As reassurance, the Government notes that that people shouldn’t be too concerned because copyright holders are not known to come after people who make a backup of their computers.

“The Government is not aware of any cases of copyright holders having prosecuted individuals for format shifting music solely for their own personal use,” the IPO spokesperson says.

However, copyright holders can take people to court over both CD-ripping and computer backups, if they want to.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: iTunes is Illegal Under UK Copyright Law

Just doing a little background checking on this...

British Prime Minister David Cameron Loves The War On Drugs - Stereogum

I can only conclude that as the PM he should e setting an example and turn himself into the nearest Police Station or that the City of London Police should raid his home and place of work and confiscate any and all computers, tablets and smart phones that can be used to access both his and his wife's iTunes accounts.
      gymno likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

So, I buy my music from Amazon because I can preview it and if I like it I can pay for it and download it. But Amazon also copy any music that I buy straight into the Amazon cloud. I do not do that it is an automatic function of Amazon whenever I buy a piece of music as a downloadable MP3. So as I said initialy, (I only said the "so" bit) who is in the wrong. Me because Amazon store a copy of my paid for music on their servers for me or Amazon because they are making a back up of my bought music for me. I can see this piece of legislation being a complete can of worms in the long run. Mind this bunch of trollops that call themselves a government wont do anything about it. And as for the idiot that calls himself a judge, well words fail me.
      gymno and Hedgehog1979 like this.

Thanks

In some ways this is the fault of the courts too.

The argument of those fat cats called MPAA and various other names was that the UK doesn't compensate the copyright holders for all those blank CDs that are sold. The courts agreed and deemed the legislation unlawful.

On a side note, I see that the film industry is really struggling to make any money this year, despite the large number of people pirating their content:

Dinosaurs, fast cars spur Universal Pictures to world record box office | 790 KGMI

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      On a side note, I see that the film industry is really struggling to make any money this year, despite the large number of people pirating their content:

Dinosaurs, fast cars spur Universal Pictures to world record box office | 790 KGMI
      Yes, i really do feel for the film industry.
      It must be so hard for them, predicting whether the next $500 million movie will next week or next month.