Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

UK recording industry seeks review of law allowing fans to copy music

This is a discussion on UK recording industry seeks review of law allowing fans to copy music within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; UK recording industry seeks review of law allowing fans to copy music | Media | The Guardian Copyright legislation permits ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

UK recording industry seeks review of law allowing fans to copy music

UK recording industry seeks review of law allowing fans to copy music | Media | The Guardian
      Copyright legislation permits people who have legally purchased music to make duplicates, prompting legal action from industry bodies

The UK music industry is seeking a judicial review of new legislation allowing music fans to make copies of legally-purchased music, arguing that musicians must be compensated as a result of lost sales.

The Musicians’ Union, the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors and industry body UK Music are taking legal action over the government’s new copyright legislation, which came into force on 1 October.

“We fully support the right of the consumer to copy legally bought music for their own personal and private use, but there must be fair compensation for the creators of the music,” said Vick Bain, chief executive of Basca.

The governmenthas scrapped a law that made it technically illegal for music fans to download a legally-purchased CD onto a laptop, smartphone or MP3 player.

In the legal action submitted to the high court in London, the music industry bodies argue that the UK legislation is out of step with European Union law which requires “fair” compensation for rights holders.

“We have sought a judicial review because of the way the government made its decision not to protect the UK’s creative industries,” said Bain. “[This is] in stark contrast to other countries that have introduced copyright exceptions.”

The government has previously rejected calls from record companies and musicians for a tax, licence or levy to copying devices – laptops, phones and MP3 players – to cover lost sales as a result of the change to copyright law.

“Licensing is the business model for the UK music industry’s success in the digital age,” said Jo Dipple, chief executive of UK Music. “However, where the right to licence is removed, rights holders should be compensated. Copyright enables people to earn a living out of their creativity and sustains jobs. The government has made a serious error with regards to private copying. The legislative framework must guarantee musicians and composers are fairly compensated.”

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: UK recording industry seeks review of law allowing fans to copy music

The UK music industry is seeking a judicial review of new legislation allowing music fans to make copies of legally-purchased music, arguing that musicians must be compensated as a result of lost sales.
      What sales are they loosing? They have already been paid for the song, do they want paid 2 or 3 times for the same song? Like going into a pub buying a bottle of beer and being asked to pay for it again if you want it in a glass
      Scubbie and gymno like this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

They simple truth is that they are <removed> greedy.

The want you to pay to have the CD, pay to play it on your laptop, pay to play it on your mobile, pay to play it on your tablet, pay to copy it onto your NAS, pay to play it on anything and everything else that it is possible to do so.

If Vincent Van Gough were still around, I wonder if he'd be offered a discount? Somehow I doubt it.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If Vincent Van Gough were still around, I wonder if he'd be offered a discount? Somehow I doubt it.
      Maybe not, but the girl he gave his ear to might have to pay a charge.

I can see the lawyers now...
      'But that ear heard sounds which contributed to Vincents' understanding of the world & therefore the music industry must have 50% its wax'.
      marjohn56 likes this.

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

What rubbish! How can this change in the law result in any kind of significant "lost sales", when all it has actually done is legalise what the majority were already doing anyway? It's not like the law changed and everyone thought "OMG! Now I can finally rip my CDs without breaking the law!".

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Who even downloads music now, let alone buys CD's now though? its all about online streaming now. Spotify & Deezer etc. It just shows how far behind the times this industry actually is.

Thanks

Streaming is all right when you have a suitable broadband connection, but if you are in a remote area with a poor 3G connection at best, then surely it would be better to have a selection of tracks on your device?

What about those who are on holiday in say Barbados or India? Sure they may be able to get a signal, but the costs after the holiday could run into a few thousand pounds.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

I'm with you. When I go on holiday I take my cassettes.

I am not behind the times but I rarely use streaming. I have a very large CD collection ( quite a large Vinyl collection too ), plus all of the downloads over the years. On top of that streaming quality is not always that good.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

All the streaming apps come with an off-line mode (though that's usually a premium service; being on an legacy EE plan, I get that with my Deezer Premium included in my monthly mobile plan) where you can save the music to the app itself so can access it anywhere even without a data connection.

Thanks

With this laptop I have 2 hard drives. Most of the second drive is taken up with my music collection.

Sure it's a little large but it is really handy having it there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast