Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Peer 2 Peer Problems

This is a discussion on Peer 2 Peer Problems within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; Not everyone has put their package in their profile but from a quick review of the posts on the forum, ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Not everyone has put their package in their profile but from a quick review of the posts on the forum, there seems to be a strong correlation (though not exclusive) between torrent/P2P problems and being on Connect

2. Advertisement
      Amaboknaai is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276 Camberley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U
      Thanks
      Your download speeds depend on the number of seeders for the torrent that you are downloading....that is why you should retain a download v seeding ration in excess of 1:1

Find a torrent which is very well seeded and stop your other torrents and see how that comes down (try and pick a "legal" torrent).

TomA is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bargoed
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yep like this one http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/index.html or http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Still having the same problem realy at a loss now.

batfin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newtownards
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      having the same problem myself i'm also on a connect package- downloads start off fine but web browsing grinds down to nothing, then i usually find torrent speed drops as the computer can't update with the tracker.I'm guessing here but could it have something to do with the VP status at your local exchange as mine has been red for the last 3 weeks and that's when my problems started?will know better tomorrow as BT are supposed to be going in to update it!

Exchange Checker

Amaboknaai is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276 Camberley
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U
      Thanks
      I am on a so-called "Red" exchange and have not had any problems.

AFAIK, there is no QOS (Quality of Service) setting on the Netgear DG834T version of the firmware which gives priority to different traffic protocols, ie http / pop / ftp / torrents so, if no throttling is taking place by the ISP and the router doesn't do it (this might explain "web browsing grinds down to nothing, then i usually find torrent speed drops as the computer can't update with the tracker...").

The setting within the Azureus client are very sensitive and need to be tweaked. A very useful plugin is the "autospeed" utility which uses your ping times to maximise up / download speeds.

As a matter of interest, your download speeds are very dependent upon your upload speed, so if you throttle your download speeds to a small factor by setting it within your client, you will not likely get any more than 4 times this upload speed as a download speed...

Wiki - Azureus....look for recommended settings.

Plusnet suck is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Someone on the UK Online forum at Adslguide has been told by there support that 1 of easynets radious servers is a bit flaky at the moment and this could be the cause of our problems

cricketsi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Balham
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I'm experiencing what very much seems like the same problem as TomA on the Connect package.

Any updates or suggestions will be greatfully received!

TomA is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bargoed
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My problem has fixed itself, could have been a exchange problem. Check yours here http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

aberesfo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

speed issues

I am on sky connect also. My speeds are at max 80kbs. My friend who is on the max package gets speeds of 700kbs. After messing around with ports and forwarding etc nothing made a difference. I then turned on RC4 encryption in azureus to see if the isp was throttling p2p and lone behold speeds of 700kbs. The only problem is that after 10 minutes the internet connection drops completely and I cannot get back in until I reboot my pc. So I guess its only an issue with the connect package and I assume they are throttling the p2p packets. But why the connect bombs after 10mins is the next issue to solve.

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Reading between the lines, it would appear that network traffic is probably being "prioritised" on the connect product. As opposed to port blocking, or traffic shaping, this action is commonplace with ADSL ISP's trying to maintain a usable connection for the majority, whilst P2P apps are given less priority. The available bandwidth is not finite, and the presence of interactive prioritising is, IMHO, essential to the survival of any UK ISP in the present climate.
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast