Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is Your ISP Messing With BitTorrent Traffic? Find Out

This is a discussion on Is Your ISP Messing With BitTorrent Traffic? Find Out within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; Is Your ISP Messing With BitTorrent Traffic? Find Out | TorrentFreak For more than a decade Internet providers have slowed ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Is Your ISP Messing With BitTorrent Traffic? Find Out

Is Your ISP Messing With BitTorrent Traffic? Find Out | TorrentFreak
      For more than a decade Internet providers have slowed down BitTorrent transfers for traffic management purposes. Today we look at fresh data from the Google-backed Measurement Lab, which provides new insight into the BitTorrent throttling practices of ISPs all over the world. The data show that many ISPs still interfere with file-sharing traffic, but to varying degrees.

Hundreds of ISPs all over the world limit and restrict BitTorrent traffic on their networks. Unfortunately, this is something that most of these companies are quite secretive about. Thanks to data collected by Measurement Lab (M-Lab) the public is now able to take a look at the frequency of these BitTorrent throttling practices. Among other tools, M-Lab runs the Glasnost application developed by the Max Planck Institute.

At TorrentFreak we have been keeping an eye on the changes in BitTorrent meddling among ISPs around the world, and today’s data is the latest installment. The throttling percentages for various countries and ISPs are based on M-Lab tests that were performed between December 2012 and December 2013.

Looking at the list of countries where at least 100 tests were performed, South Korea (74%), Malaysia (61%) and Singapore (53%) come out on top. Poland is the first European country with 35%, quickly followed by the UK with 28%.

Greece and Romania stand out in a positive sense, as only 7% and 9% of the tested BitTorrent connections were limited. The United States, Canada and Australia perform relatively well too, with throttling rates of 14%, 17% and 18% respectively.

<Graph>

The next step is to look in more detail at several of the individual countries to see which ISPs throttle the most.

UK

In the UK, BitTorrent throttling rates are relatively high. Orange is currently the worst offender as it limits 38% of the tested connections. BT comes in second place with 35%, which is down from 65% during the first months of 2012.

At TalkTalk and BSkyB BitTorrent users are better off with throttling percentages of 10% and 17% respectively. For BSkyB this is a hefty increase, as the throttling rate is up from only 4% two years ago.

Worst:
      BT and Orange (35 and 38%)
      Best: TalkTalk (10%)

Comment: I haven't cross posted the entire article (click the link above if you wish to see it all), but I have cross-posted the relevant parts to members of this forum. Personally I am very surprised about the claim that Sky are throttling P2P traffic.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Annie UK (24-01-14)

3. Advertisement
      Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Thanks

Re: Is Your ISP Messing With BitTorrent Traffic? Find Out

On BT I have found that enabling encryption helps speed things up quite a bit
      Annie 🦋..........
      My Sky+HD FAQ
      (now with more questions)
      My Sky hardware and setup

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie
      Personally I am very surprised about the claim that Sky are throttling P2P traffic.
      After other isp's started offering 'truly' unlimited packages, i thought it was the only unique thing left about sky.

Tazmaniandevil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cameronian Street
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      After other isp's started offering 'truly' unlimited packages, i thought it was the only unique thing left about sky.
      From my perspective, the USP for Sky is having all of my services in one package with one bill. We have no cable in our area, so no-one else can offer me the same deal.
      I don't mind the torrent traffic being throttled (if it is) because if I download anything I tend to do it in the background. Not that I would ever consider downloading anything illegal of course, me hearties. Arr no, only software drivers and package updates for I.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I ran the test and there was no indication that my isp limits upload or download.