Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

UK ISP Sky Broadband Removes Wrongful Imgur.com Website Block

This is a discussion on UK ISP Sky Broadband Removes Wrongful Imgur.com Website Block within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; UK ISP Sky Broadband Removes Wrongful Imgur.com Website Block - ISPreview UK The approach of attempting to restrict access to ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,247 Times in 2,108 Posts

UK ISP Sky Broadband Removes Wrongful Imgur.com Website Block

UK ISP Sky Broadband Removes Wrongful Imgur.com Website Block - ISPreview UK
      The approach of attempting to restrict access to Internet piracy websites by employing dumb DNS or IP based blocks (censorship) claimed another victim over the weekend after customers of Sky Broadband (BSkyB) found that they could no longer access online image sharing website imgur.com, which had been wrongfully blocked by the ISP.

Most people should now be aware that all of the major broadband ISPs in the United Kingdom have, for the past year or so, been blocking Internet piracy websites following court orders. But the system is highly fallible and can be exploited by pirates to make life much harder for the ISPs.

During August 2013 Sky Broadband found itself in hot water after a piracy site, EZTV, managed to tweak its domain details so that Sky’s system ended up restricting access to a ton of legitimate sites including Facebook and TorrentFreak. An identical situation then hit the Radio Times, Crystal Palace FC and Taylor Swift’s official fan page among many others (here).

Now the same natural fallibility in this approach has struck again after the popular and quite legal imgur.com suddenly became inaccessible to millions of Sky’s customers. As before the situation stemmed from Sky Broadband’s attempt to block piracy site Yify-Torrents (here) but it didn’t stop there. Needless to say that the outcome resulted in a lot of angry complaints to Sky’s Twitter feed.

The problem occurred because Sky needs to keep the IP (Internet Protocol) addresses on its DNS (Domain Name System) servers up-to-date with similar data for their blocked sites (i.e. piracy sites often change their IP/DNS details so ISPs have to keep pace with that). But this approach is fallible because several legal websites and online servers can also share the same IP address (e.g. shared web hosting or cloud mirror servers etc.) and such addresses change hands all the time.

In the case of imgur.com it appears as if the site was blocked because YIFY began using CloudFlare’s servers in Australia, which function as an online Content Delivery Network (CDN) for live mirrors of website content (useful if the main website suffers an outage etc.).

As a result of insufficient checking, which is likely to occur when ISPs start to rely too much upon automation (i.e. the more sites you block the harder they become to correctly monitor), Sky ended up sticking CloudFlare’s IP on its block list and that also blocked imgur.com as they use the same service (we suspect that other sites might have been similarly affected).

The incorrect block has now been lifted but this is unlikely to be the last such mistake as the same fallibility exists for all providers, although such errors only tend to make the headlines when popular websites are impacted.

2. Advertisement
      James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Re: UK ISP Sky Broadband Removes Wrongful Imgur.com Website Block

EE mobile had also incorrectly blocked this website as well, which has now also been corrected.

_Andy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSPUR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Hi

Is anyone else unable to login to imgur?
      Tried via VPN and it works, so seems like Sky are still blocking it?

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

It's working for me here with my Sky broadband (currently have a 176.xxx.xxx.xxx external IP)

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Oh no, not the 'I've got an IP address starting with 5 & i can only use half the internet' problem.
      Again.

I can navigate the site ok with a '5' IP, just not log in.

@James_Mitchell (or anyone with a 176 IP) how do you fare here:
      https://imgur.com/signin

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,247 Times in 2,108 Posts

Well I can confirm that with my Sky connection I cannot access that page, yet when I tether my laptop to my phone, I can access it immediately.

I currently have an IP Address that starts with 94 and I am using the Google DNS servers.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.