Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

More site to be blocked by the main UK ISPs

This is a discussion on More site to be blocked by the main UK ISPs within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; Sadly more torrent sites have to be blocked by Sky, BT , VM, O2, EE and TalkTalk from today following ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

More site to be blocked by the main UK ISPs

Sadly more torrent sites have to be blocked by Sky, BT, VM, O2, EE and TalkTalk from today following more court orders from the BPI and MPAA.

Top BitTorrent and Music Download Sites Pushed Underground in the UK | TorrentFreak

Of course it is still possible to easily circumvent these blocks, which IMHO makes the whole process rather pointless. Sure figures that show the direct access to the various sites will plummet, but they ignore the fact that the other methods still work and those figures are not picked up.

Even the BPI admit that these new blocks are not 100% effective.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: More site to be blocked by the main UK ISPs

Tbh this is getting out of hand now The Great Firewall of the UK (Not China)

placcychicken is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCGAR
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I had never noticed this before but when i was looking for some 'public domain files' on a torrent site recently I got a message from sky on my screen telling me that the site was blocked for some reason.
      Yet when I am watching TV I see adverts from the big broadband providers telling me that their product is 'Truly unlimited' .
      What annoys with all this is that fair enough copyright theft is theft and it's wrong and I appreciate that, however, there is a big push to stop torrent sites and so-on which are more a way of spreading viruses than anything else yet you-tube is allowed to continue hosting episodes of tv shows, and music videos and the like without any comeback.

I pay a bloody good whack for Sky and I like watching the various documentaries and reality shows from 520 onwards, Guaranteed though that whatever I watch if I tell my mate about it he will be able to watch it on you-tube for bugger all...

If they really want to address copyright then the likes of you-tube would be a good place to start.

Thanks

Sadly the 'truly unlimited' excuse doesn't count. It is a court order that has required Sky to block access to the sites.

Much of the content that has been uploaded in the past to YouTube was removed.

If there is any items which should not be on YouTube due to copyright reasons, then the copyright holder can ask YouTube to remove it. However BBC, ITV and many more do have an official YouTube account and they do upload some content periodically. What they do not do is upload everything.

As for the censorship which is currently going on, yes censorship, whilst most of the content made available through the various torrent sites is copyrighted and doesn't have the consent of the copyright owner, they do have items which are allowed.

It has also been proven that torrents can actually improve sales for an artist in ways that the industry could never imagine.

I guess an important question to be asked is just how many different ways does the copyright holders wish to make money?

Take an example:

I pay to watch Sky Movies. I watch the new 'Toy Story of Terror'. I have technically paid for the right to view it through Sky. I record it to my Sky+ STB and is stays there for the life of the STB. I could also download it to my phone and Laptop as I have MultiScreen and this will not cost me anything extra.

Now if I download the same item from a torrent I can store it on my NAS and stream it from there to my TV, phone and Laptop. This is regarded as wrong as I didn't "pay for it".

Now I can't buy it as a DVD or Blu-ray at the moment as it hasn't been released this way yet. However I have no intention of burning it to a disc and selling that disc to someone, so I am technically in the clear.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

pdoherty76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

None of these blocks actually work. It is trivial to bypass it. 7 year olds can do it.

Isohunt has closed following threats of a huge lawsuit from the MPAA. It opened a couple of days later with a slightly different URL.

When will they realise that they can't moderate the internet. They need to adapt and make their entire back catalogues available in the best quality at a reasonable price. They will make a fortune.

Thanks

According to a report today one torrent site has closed because the owners got too much money: Too Much Cash Causes Pirate Admin to Quit, 43K Ebook Dump Imminent | TorrentFreak

It makes you realise just how easy it would be to run a legitimate site and allow people to download a lot of content.

Of course if the big companies were to do this then the TV companies would rise up and revolt too.

I wonder how Sky and Universal would react if the entire back catalogue of Star Trek were released as a paid-for download, for example?

Considering just how much air time is still given over to it, despite the Enterprise being cancelled in 2004/5. Even ST:TNG received a facelift recently with a 1080p version being released. However we remain short changed as it is only being aired in AC3 (2.1) when the Blu-rays are recorded in 7.1 surround sound.

Glamdring is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bo'ness
      Router: ASUS RT-AC66U
      Thanks

Thank crunchie for VPNs

RobyMoti is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pdoherty76 View Post
      None of these blocks actually work. It is trivial to bypass it. 7 year olds can do it.

Isohunt has closed following threats of a huge lawsuit from the MPAA. It opened a couple of days later with a slightly different URL.

When will they realise that they can't moderate the internet. They need to adapt and make their entire back catalogues available in the best quality at a reasonable price. They will make a fortune.
      You're right! The music industry could make music buying more convenient and cheaper, they would be doing fine.

And ye it's only a matter of time. Like trying to hold water in your hands.

Having said that, it's going to get worse before it gets good. These recent rulling shows that these guys are not slowing down - yet - but pushing harder.

What is worrying is the ethics behind a private company being able to block public access.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Oh my dear Scubbie, you always darken my day with more bad news. :P

Thanks

I also brighten it up with good news