Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Ofcom: Piracy accounts for one in four downloads

This is a discussion on Ofcom: Piracy accounts for one in four downloads within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; BBC News - Ofcom: Piracy accounts for one in four downloads Almost a quarter of downloads in the UK infringe ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,225 Times in 2,093 Posts

Ofcom: Piracy accounts for one in four downloads

BBC News - Ofcom: Piracy accounts for one in four downloads
      Almost a quarter of downloads in the UK infringe copyright, according to a study prepared for regulators.

Just 2% of UK internet users accounted for almost three-quarters of online piracy over a year, the report Ofcom indicated.

A small number of the most prolific pirates accessed "vast amounts" of infringing content, it said.

It also said pirates spent more on legal downloading and streaming than those who never access illegal content.

A small minority of UK internet users illegally downloaded and streamed music, films, games, TV programmes and computer software between May 2012 and May 2013, according to the study undertaken for Ofcom by Kantar Media.

The company processed 21,475 responses to four surveys over the year to research the report.

Films tended to be the most consumed type of pirated content - 35% of the total number of films viewed online infringed copyright.

A passion for particular music, films, games, TV programmes or computer software tended to be the driving force behind both the legal and illegal consumption of content.

Pirates were prolific consumers of legal digital content, on average spending 26 every three months compared with 16 spent by non-infringers.

The highest volume infringers tended to justify their actions by saying that they had already spent enough on content, and that legal content was too expensive.

The top 20% of infringers were more likely than other pirates to have streamed content outside of their home networks, or used mobile technology for illegal downloads, making enforcement complex, said the study.

Only a quarter of the people who consumed the most illegal content said they would stop if they thought they might be sued, and one in five said they would stop if they received a letter from their internet service provider (ISP) telling them that their account had been used for copyright infringement.

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: Ofcom: Piracy accounts for one in four downloads

Rubbish, propaganda yet again. People aren't pirates, they are just fed up of the inconvenience of the fragmentation of services at wildy varying prices with crippling DRM limitations in most cases. Everything I download I already pay a legit subscription for, it's just better without all the adverts and stupidly large channel idents, and to watch it when I want. Don't even get me started on games that I buy that are rendered unusable by online checks and then I have to download pirate version to play etc... Piracy is little to do with money , people who actually steal 1's and 0's wouldn't pay for it anyway so there is no loss to the company, and everyone else does it for convenience. Until business figures out these simple truths they are wasting money and increasing their own prices feeding the circle, and good luck blocking this stuff, it's all gonna escalate to the point where even VPN will be threatened as illegal, there is no way to stop it other than cheap easy to download services that work. Piracy=Convenience. Arrrgh!
      stereohaven likes this.

Thanks

I have to agree with you.

Apple make a lot of money from their music store. If it weren't for MP3s being created they just would not even have a business. Sure Apple uses a different encryption method, but without the likes of MP3s and Napstar there would not even be a business model for them to work with.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I'd say 99% of what I download is "pirated" but about 90% of it is tv shows that I pay for through Sky subs (okay, I may not actually pay for this!) and the UK tv license fee that I pay to access other "free" stuff but I really don't see this as real piracy. A lot of these things I cannot play on my Raspberry Pi media centre without these additional services.

Exchange:
      Thanks

They want us to buy (sorry , license to use) the same mp3/tv show/whatever more than once to have it on each device, some are still even time limited even though its child's play to strip DRM now. I dream of the day I have a fibre line into my home providing Japan style speeds, bringing my Internet TV shared to everyone via wifi. More importantly a netflix like service unfettered by which companies they are in bed with, providing access to ALL channels/movies worldwide. Now that would be a service worth paying a Sky subscription for. The only thing preventing this is the movie/tv companies themselves with their region bound releases designed to squeeze every last penny selling to networks.

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      I'd say 99% of what I download is "pirated" but about 90% of it is tv shows that I pay for through Sky subs (okay, I may not actually pay for this!) and the UK tv license fee that I pay to access other "free" stuff but I really don't see this as real piracy. A lot of these things I cannot play on my Raspberry Pi media centre without these additional services.
      Yeah, my illegal downloads are about in line with yours. It's great to have watched most of the current series of The Newsroom a couple of months before Sky deemed it OK to let me see what I have paid for - but I would no more think of making a DVD/Blu-ray of this to sell than I would consider stealing sweets from my local shop. Nor would I feel comfortable downloading shows like this without a Sky sub.

It is this "tarring with the same brush" that has really started to annoy me. It makes me resent even more the wholesale ripping off of customers by the movie studios during the early years of digital media. How soon we forget that early DVDs would sometimes set us back the best part of 25. And don't even get me started on the prices of early CDs in the UK .

EDIT: I just had an email from the BBC trumpeting their new sci-fi series Orphan Black on iPlayer - a full week before BBC3. I thought this would be great since there is no HD on BBC3 - but was really disappointed to see the old farts from the BBC Trust are still blocking any HD on iPlayer that has not been broadcast in that format. Grrrrr. I now feel an illegal HD download coming on
      Last edited by Restorer; 13-09-13 at 08:33 PM.
      bubblegun likes this.

Thanks

Well things might be hotting up soon:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/p2p-f...crackdown.html

UK Prime Minister Appoints New Anti-Piracy Enforcement Advisor | TorrentFreak

Of course if these measures do start rolling out, I guess more of us will start subscribing to VPNs.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Lol, oh well, guess so. Amazes me they believe that they can change the way 1's and 0's work, mind you judging by HS2 and all their other brainwaves we would be naive to assume they would leave the internet alone. Btw even if you encrypt like me, you can get seven years for refusing to give up your keys/passwords etc, so maybe open source encryption (cos they have others cracked already) with dummy containers and leave everything in Canada and stream it over a VPN if you can find one fast enough(cos I haven't yet).

Thanks

I guess that our already over-full prisons will become even more heavily populated then. Of course they could just move everyone into Ford Prison and hope that they all just go home.

Paul Flint charged with absconding from Ford Prison (From The Argus)

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Sorry I missed this thread, I was watching the end of True Blood season 6 that starts in the UK on the 30th September.
      bubblegun and Scubbie like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast