Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

More piracy sites faced with blocking as BPI contacts UK ISPs

This is a discussion on More piracy sites faced with blocking as BPI contacts UK ISPs within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; BBC News - More piracy sites faced with blocking as BPI contacts UK ISPs The UK's major internet service providers ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

More piracy sites faced with blocking as BPI contacts UK ISPs

BBC News - More piracy sites faced with blocking as BPI contacts UK ISPs
      The UK's major internet service providers have been asked to block three more file-sharing websites, the BBC can reveal.
      The British Phonographic Industry (BPI), which acts on behalf of rights holders, wants ISPs to prevent access to Fenopy, H33t and Kickass Torrents.

The BPI alleges that the sites are illegally distributing music.

The ISPs told the BBC they would comply with the new demand, but only if a court order is put in place.

It follows a separate court order in April which saw popular file-sharing site The Pirate Bay blocked in the UK.

The biggest ISP, BT, said it was also "currently considering" its options.

The letter, which was not intended to go public, was sent to six ISPs last week, namely BT, Sky, Virgin Media, O2, EE and TalkTalk.

It is understood that the BPI is hoping all three sites will be blocked before Christmas - far more quickly than the process has taken previously.

According to web monitoring firm Nielsen, over a million unique users from the UK visited the three websites in September...

2. Advertisement
      dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: More piracy sites faced with blocking as BPI contacts UK ISPs

Shame to see those ones being targeted now, one of which I use frequently.

Without meaning to hijack the thread, I use a Seedbox to do my torrenting and thought I'd be adding an extra layer of protection by doing this but on reading my seedbox providers T&C's they say they will hand over user information only if they receive a court order. Does it take a lot to happen before a court idea is given?

Thanks

Any site would have to hand over suitable information that they have when a specific court order has been produced.

Just how easy it would be to get a court order depends on where the site is hosted.

In each case, the simple use of a proxy server based in a different country will get you past most blocks.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

MttJocy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNWEL - Wellington, Shropshire
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: No TV
      Thanks

To be fair the block in place on TPB is so easy to get past it doesn't even require a proxy, if you happen to run your own DNS server even setting up a stub zone directing to the real nameservers works. Basically they redirect from the parent domain to a fake nameserver that replies with the address of 127.0.0.1.

That said the first time I encountered that happening I was really in a rage over it which is ironic when you consider before that I couldn't have really cared less about the site but when people start censoring things I get mad about it, just never been able to stand censorship at the best of times is why I have a tor relay running on my machine (Am sure sky is loving the traffic since they sold me the 80/20 upgrade is up at about 1TB/week oh well they did insist it was unlimited) to help make sure people in other countries where they have these problems can get around it, don't need my own country turning just as bad sure for now it's just filesharing sites but with censorship is always the way that the easy targets are hit first, the longer the blocklist gets the easier it becomes to just add to it.

Thanks

There are some good sites which have been closed down over the years, which is really sad.

I appreciate that those directly affected can lose money. I have a couple of friends who have written a commercial program. This is their living. It is unique. They get upset when it appears in the torrent sites as it means that they lose sales and potential income.

It does have a key code to confirm the legitimacy of the product and registration is mandatory, but sadly there are people who are intent on destroying the product as if they don't have the sales, they can't develop it further. They do some contract work which also helps to pay the bills.

At the same time, there are plenty of large organisations which charge huge amounts for a product which is found in almost every home. Is it right to get a pirate copy of their software?

Do remember that there are some bodies out there who are collecting the IP Addresses of people who are downloading and uploading different torrents. They just may use this one day.

MttJocy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNWEL - Wellington, Shropshire
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: No TV
      Thanks

I do understand about the developers, about everything that I ever programmed was open sourced but if one is trying to make a living off it then it's hard I know others who have been in this position. Then again actually making a living which is enough to support oneself in any business is a lot of hard work, most would take a year of work at a loss just to break even and almost none would survive without offering a range of products and services a single product rarely makes a business unless it's extremely innovative and even then only when combined with a lot of luck. I also can't help but have this feeling it's somewhat dubious to claim every download as a lost sale, there is a good chance that many of those downloading are using it because they can get it that way and could not afford or just plain unwilling to buy it if that was the sole option, it strikes me the same as a furniture maker claiming the same if someone goes and makes their own chair instead of buying theirs, people are unlikely to be going hunting around for alternatives if they are able and willing to just buy the product outright.

In some ways though the amount of people willing to take risks rather than pay the prices could be a good indication that many people simply don't agree with the sellers estimates of value, something which is not helped by all the middlemen taking their not insignificant cuts out of the profits on many copyrighted works, music always seems a great example here when one notes how little of the profits gets to the artist after the studios, labels, record stores and everyone else has had their cut. If the music sold for nearer what the artist received you would probably see less people downloading it, further the internet can in fact be used as a tool to lower those costs for the artists and producers just as much as it does for the pirates, you could probably get a fair server on a good connection for the cost of shipping a big box of CD's renting a store to display them in etc etc, would help if the banks didn't take such a cut for electronic transactions too makes it difficult to sell lower cost items effectively when the bank wants a 30-50p minimum plus the percentage fees on top 2-4% (Volume tends to make the difference where on the scale you are) this tends to make it harder for individual artists to just sell their tracks online as to make it worth it you need people to buy 10 or more of credit at a time and people are more likely to do that on iTunes with a huge list than on an independent artists site but then you just have a new middleman.

Hearing the banks claim they actually need such fees doesn't sit well with me either, each transaction is moving a few bytes of data that and if they actually supported micropayment systems they can expect their transaction volume to increase they would likely see the same revenue whether they get 60p on the 10 transactions or like 2-5p on 30-50p transactions either way.

It's a complex issue and one which a lot of people have a lot of emotional investment in, I certainly don't know of any quick answer to the problem but seems to me throughout history that the heavy hand approach has never worked to control prices in nor to eliminate any market, free agents will always find ways around attempts to force them into doing anything, what we really need is a rethink to find a solution which works for both sides it will never get better while one side is just trying to use their wealth and resources to shout the other down through the courts etc.

Thanks

I would entirely agree with you in respect of the existence of sites such as iTunes. Without the creation of Napster, none of these would exist.

When BBC iPlayer was originally launched it used P2P technology, which isn't the case now.

It is fairly well known that when CDs were first launched that the record industry ripped of the artists and this still needs to be resolved, although it is better now.

The example I used is a rare one. The pair do have other things which help them financially, the product is unique and it is something which works well. The fact that they only have the one product and can show the volume of legitimate sales as all the legitimate products are registered is also very useful.

The costs might be outside the realms of a college student, but then it isn't aimed at them.

There are many middlemen who like to cream off their cut of the price. I am only too happy to see the prices reduce as a result of reducing the number of people involved between the creator and the customer and for those in between to work at reducing their costs so that their cut can be reduced.

I am sure that the banks, as they always have, will show just how their costs are effective and needed, after all they are in the money business and will have several armies of accountants to back up the figures.

The truth is that there are many people out there who would rather only download something over the Internet than spend some money on the product in the retails store.

The likes of FACT will say that the piracy is robbing them of millions. With the closure of the like of MVC & Woolworths you may say that they have a case. I would argue that with the increase of on-line sales that many high-street shops are suffering and have had to close as a result.

No longer do we need to walk around for hours, visiting a dozen different town centres and markets looking for that specific item. It used to take weeks or months to find that item sometimes, with most shops saying "it doesn't exist" or "its out of print" or "it isn't available in the UK". A quick Google and we can soon not only find what we want, but then compare the prices at a few different on-line stores and get it delivered tomorrow morning at a fraction of the cost in the high-street shop.

One example recently was a memory card for an old camera that a friend has. We looked at popping into Commercial Road in Portsmouth and getting it from there. One particular well known shop I looked at was selling the card she needed for 36. After a quick search on-line we found several memory cards to the same specification for between 6-12, including delivery. Guess where she bought it.

The sad truth is that if the sharing of music, video and programs were to go unchecked, they people who create them would not receive any money. The cost that we as a consumer are charged for the product is well above the cost of creating it and there are many who make a living and profit from such activity. Are the profits fair? To some extent they are needed. It is when the profits become so huge that they become offencive that we have problems.

Another example would be the large Superstores. How many of us weeped when Tesco announced that their profits were down this year because they are improving the existing stores? Isn't 4 Billion enough? Yet most suppliers are complaining that they are struggling to meet the demands of all the big superstores to cut costs to the bone.

There are many flaws with out retail system.