Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

File sharing resets after inactivity

This is a discussion on File sharing resets after inactivity within the P2P / File sharing forums, part of the General chat category; I have a desktop PC set up as a server at home with an external USB drive running XP, and ...

BigStuff180 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bangor
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

File sharing resets after inactivity

I have a desktop PC set up as a server at home with an external USB drive running XP, and a wireless laptop running Vista. I was able to set up the wireless network for the internet to work. I then went to the desktop and right clicked and enabled file sharing on the external hard drive, and it was all working ticketey boo. I could access the USB drive from my laptop. However, after a period of inactivity, the file sharing resets itself and I cant see the USB drive from my laptop. I have to go back to the desktop and re-enable file sharing. Its a bit of a pain in the ass! Anyone know how to make the file sharing options stick?

2. Advertisement
      greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: File sharing resets after inactivity

Try looking under Hardware/Device Manager and checking properties for the USB drive, you might find Power Management is set to turn the thing off after a while to "save power". If so, remove the check mark and, fingers crossed, all should be well.