Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Isitme

Sky+ HD Magazine offer - help!

This is a discussion on Sky+ HD Magazine offer - help! within the Offers forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi everyone I received a copy of the new Sky 'magazine' in the post on Friday and I have a ...

FlySi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01334
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky+ HD Magazine offer - help!

Hi everyone

I received a copy of the new Sky 'magazine' in the post on Friday and I have a query regarding one of the offers inside. On page 13, it advises you 'How to get your first Sky+HD box'. It offers cost options - 'Free with the HD Pack' and '49 without the HD Pack'. It then offers a choice of self-install for 15 or engineer install for 60. It advises customers to go to sky.com/shop/customershop for more options.

As I interpret this advert, it is to attract people to the HD service. I was thinking of switching to HD but am reluctant at present to part with extra money for a service for which I'm yet to be convinced of. From the wording of the advert, it implies that I should be able to get my first Sky+HD box without a Sky HD pack for 49. Is this correct? The Sky website doesn't allow you to do this and in fact charges you 199 if you want the box without the HD pack. I've looked at the terms and conditions too (page 18) and they imply that you have to have the HD pack, even though the offer on page 13 explicitly states it is for your first HD box, with or without the HD pack.

Could anybody out there offer some advice on this? I'd like to switch to HD but am not prepared at present to add a further 120 a year to my bill when I'm yet to be convinced by it at present.

Many thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky+ HD Magazine offer - help!

Have you tried calling Sky and quoting the magazine? It definitely says 49 without the HD pack, with self install for 15 if you have Sky+ and 60 if you need an 'engineer' set-up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I haven't had chance yet to contact them yet - it's on the list of things to do today. I'm just glad that somebody else interprets the offer the same way as I do. I'll let you know what Sky say when I call them.

Thanks

Thought I'd update you with how we've progressed on this issue. We called Sky and enquired about this but the staff at the call centre were not aware of the offer. We duly scanned the magazine and emailed it to Sky for their reference. The email in return stated that the offer of 15 self-installation was in box and only applied to the bubble containing the 'Free with HD Pack' - in other words, Sky are trying to push customers towards having to pay for the HD pack. However, the two bubbles containing the offers 'Free with HD Pack' and '49 without HD Pack' are connected by a brace/curly bracket that points to the box containing the installation options. This shows that either of the box cost options are eligible for the installation options. They also stated that the Terms and Conditions might alter the offer but they were not aware of what they might be.

We emailed Sky with the Terms and Conditions and clearly set out our position: in the T&C, it clearly states that "Self set-up is 15, only available to existing Sky+ customers. You must complete self set-up within 31 days of receipt of your box in order to be eligible for a discounted box, otherwise you will be charged 10.25pm subscription for the HD Pack for 12 months". However, Sky point out that it the T&C also mean state that existing Sky+ customers are ineligible for any offers of a discounted box (as stated in point 1 of the T&C). Therefore, the box is in effect a second Sky+ box and should cost 199

Sky have recommended that if you we're unhappy we should file an official complaint, which we intend to do. The offer clearly states that you may have a Sky+HD box for 49 and 15 for self-installation. It is clearly intended for existing customers who do not have SKY HD as it is labelled 'How to get your first SKY+HD box'. It is also clearly intended for all customers, irrespective of whether or not they have Sky+ already, as it offers two different installation prices - one for those with Sky+ and one for those without Sky+

Any advice as to what we should do next or what people think about this is gratefully received.

jynxy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Just do the easiest thing with sky, call the cancelations department, tell them you are going to vm (even if its not available in your area, they dont check) as they are offering hd for free with free box and free install, dont mention the magazine, they will soon come up with a list of offers, if they dont then go ahead with the cancel, you have to give 30 days notice.

they will then usually call you within two weeks to make you an offer to stay, if they dont after 3 weeks, just call back and cancel the cancelation.

but i almost certain they will offer you something, they always have for me.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think this merits reporting to ASA - How to complain - Advertising Standards Authority I am pretty sure advertising something quite clearly in large print and then denying it in very small print is illegal
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

@jynxy Many thanks for the info regarding cancelling Sky
      @Isitme I'm of a similar mind to you - this surely contravenes ASA rules. I'm going to read through their website and get in touch with them. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm also going to file an official complaint with Sky in the meantime.

Thanks

Update: I'm now a happy customer...!

I complained to Sky about this offer through its website two weeks ago and heard nothing (despite the guarantee that I would receive a personal reply within 24 hours). On Monday, I again complained to Sky. Having heard nothing by the next day, I emailed Jeremy Darroch outlining my concerns and grievances.

I'm happy to say that last night I received a call from an individual at the Sky Customer Response Team and the issue is now resolved. On Monday, a Sky engineer will be visiting to install Sky+HD box free of charge. I offered to pay for the box last night but Sky declined the offer, saying that I shouldn't have had to jump through this many hoops to get an answer. I'm also going to receive an official apology and explanation at some point as to why my complaint was missed.

All in all, a positive experience from Sky. I did not expect anything for free, let alone a phone call from anybody who was prepared to make an effort and discuss the situation. Well done Sky!

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hi I am having the same problem, would you have Mr Darroch email address via PM would be best Thank You.

My thread on this is here http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-s...ade-offer.html

==========
      Regards
      Dave

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

jeremy.darroch at bskyb dot com

Edit: I see Tom's answered in your own thread

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.