Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

BBC Watchdog

This is a discussion on BBC Watchdog within the NOW TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Did anyone see the lady from now tv get a grilling from anne robinson last night? To be fair, i ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

BBC Watchdog

Did anyone see the lady from now tv get a grilling from anne robinson last night?

To be fair, i would have thought that the type of issues / complaints depicted in the programme have blighted just about every on demand service there's ever been & that now tv probably isn't any worse than the others.

On the other hand, the lady representing did have a great opportunity there to get some good pr but blew it by coming across as aloof & out of touch.
      For instance when asked how she would feel if her teams' most important game of the season just went off air, she ignored the question & gave a stiff, corporate politician style answer that meant nothing.

I've seen people in that hot seat defending their company before who would've answered "absolutely gutted & i genuinely understand how those customers must have felt".
      Of course that doesn't alter the outcome, but i do believe 'endearing' is a better stance to take than 'snooty' & 'defensive' if on the BBC at 8pm.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: BBC Watchdog

Grilling? Hardly a chance for her to talk. Anne just has to keep interrupting people in the middle of a sentence.

Ok, anyone who has been aware of the streaming issues that Sky have had with both NowTV and Sky Go, specifically at the end of the football season, will already be aware that the traffic was heavy. I was under the impression that the the internal investigations had taken place and the issues were already being addressed.

Unfortunately we won't know until the end of the next season just how good those measures have been.

So basically Anne was dealing with old news.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

My post was intended to convey 2 main points:

1) For bbc watchdog to target now tv specifically is silly because those issues must affect all on demand providers / services.
      2) The lady representing now tv did not come across well & in my opinion messed up.

So 50/50.

'Interview' is at 6 minutes:

Last edited by gymno; 02-11-14 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks

To the people who do not have a technical understanding, the simple answer is no they are not the same.

You and I appreciate that YouView, Netflix, LoveFilm, Sky Go, Now TV, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand Five, STV Player, TVCatchup, YouTube, Vevo and any others I haven't listed all work in different ways.

Most work with a centralised server network, but each is a relatively new piece of technology that is continuing to be developed.

The levels of traffic which hit both Sky Go and Now TV at the end of the last season on the two big matches was very high. There isn't really an excuse and Sky did refund people. Perhaps Sky shold have organised for the matches to be replayed? After all I think that would have made Anne a lot happier.

The lady representing Now TV didn't really get an opportunity to speak. Let's face it, Anne loves to ridicule people. That is what she thrives on.

Of course Sky knows that it didn't go well. Of course they have already taken steps to improve things. Hopefully as both Now TV and Sky Go gain even more popularity over the rest of the current season, the bods at Sky will be better prepared and be able to work to prevent a repeat of what happened.

Are they sorry? Well in as much as any large coporation can say those words, I guess you can say that is a given.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Unfortunately we won't know until the end of the next season just how good those measures have been.
      We'll get a clue when the next season of Game of Thrones starts, it all stopped working earlier this year too at that time.

Thanks

That's right.

HBO's player crashed too, but Anne isn't interested in that one.

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I thought this report was incredibly unfair on Now TV. If they were going to criticise streaming services and expiring content then they should have done some more research and included all of the other well known ones like Netflix and Amazon Instant Video.

Content will always have an expiry date, just like most of the things in our fridge. The guy that complained that he only had 10 days to watch Game of Thrones just got unlucky and left it too late. If you bought a pint of milk and waited till the last day of its in-date before opening it, that's pretty much your own fault - you either use as much of it as you can or bin it.

And I also agree that Anne didn't let the Now TV representative from getting a word in.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I agree that it was very unfair to single out now tv.

However, if i was in anne's position & each response to my questions was a practised politician style swerve, i'd give up & move on to the next question too.
      jrfer likes this.

nobroadband is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Southminster
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Is anyone surprised
      The bbc hate the fact people willing fund Sky

From what I can gather watchdog won't dare to shine a light on the activities of the bbc's tv licence salesmen ,strange when there are so many videos of their dubious activities on YouTube & Live leak ect .
      A prime example below

jrfer likes this.

Thanks

Absolutely correct. None of the BBC's Consumer Affair programmes will ever deal with any issues relating to the TV License.

Of course I'm not advocating that people should stop paying their TV Licensee, unless they don't have have the facilities to watch live TV via the BBC iPlayer, Freeview, Freesat, Sky, YouView, Virgin Cable or any other satellite or cable provider.

As far as I know streaming content from Netflix, LoveFilm and YouTube do not require a license, even if you view the content on a TV. Watching content on the BBC iPlayer which is not live does not require a TV license. The same is true for any other player.

Of course if you only have a Blu-ray or DVD Player or perhaps a VHS Recorder (not connected to the aerial) then you don't need a license either.

How many people though are aware that there have been device limits for each license or that you are supposed to have one license each if you live in a shared home with lockable doors, but that they don't have the means to identify these homes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast