Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband Demand for Game of Thrones Knocks Sky NOW TV Service Out

This is a discussion on Broadband Demand for Game of Thrones Knocks Sky NOW TV Service Out within the NOW TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Broadband Demand for Game of Thrones Knocks Sky NOW TV Service Out - ISPreview UK Customers who pay £4.99 a ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Broadband Demand for Game of Thrones Knocks Sky NOW TV Service Out

Broadband Demand for Game of Thrones Knocks Sky NOW TV Service Out - ISPreview UK
      Customers who pay £4.99 a month for the Entertainment Pass on Sky’s broadband-based NOW TV service now have more than those annoying “Rights Restrictions” messages (here) to worry about after the live broadcast of popular TV show Game of Thrones (Season 4 : Episode 1) caused a surge in demand that disrupted connectivity.

Posts on the NOW TV Forum, which have been picked up on by Recombu, suggest that Monday’s live 9pm broadcast of the TV show caused connectivity and slow loading problems as a result of allegedly “unforeseen high demand“.
      A NOW TV Community Manager said:

We’re aware of a number of reports of NOW TV not working this [Monday evening]. You might experience slow loading times or error messages which stop you from watching content. We’re investigating this as a matter of priority … We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused and will update you as soon as possible.”
      The service soon returned to normal after the live broadcast had ended and thankfully those who missed the episode can at least catch-up on the content. Hopefully next time NOW TV will be better prepared for surges of demand caused by hugely popular TV shows, which is something that should have been easy for them to foresee.

The problems experienced by NOW TV represent at least one area where Internet based TV services can sometimes run into difficulties, which is something that traditional passive terrestrial services don’t have to worry about in quite the same way. [Insert reference to the Net Neutrality debate ].
      Comment: Just to put things into perspective, HBO's on-line streaming service was also knocked out due to Game of Thrones.

2. Advertisement
      Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTP
      Router: FRITZ!Box 3490
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Broadband Demand for Game of Thrones Knocks Sky NOW TV Service Out

I have NOW TV and SKY.

I find it strange sky cannot include the NOW TV package into my sky bill, or that I can log into the NOW tv box with my SKY username and password and watch tv on the device - much like a laptop etc.

Do we know if there are any plans for this? I find it strange I have to pay £4.99 to watch what I already pay for!

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Rex View Post
      I have NOW TV and SKY.

I find it strange sky cannot include the NOW TV package into my sky bill, or that I can log into the NOW tv box with my SKY username and password and watch tv on the device - much like a laptop etc.

Do we know if there are any plans for this? I find it strange I have to pay £4.99 to watch what I already pay for!
      Why would you want Sky Now TV, if you have a sky tv subscription and sky go for out and about?

I love GOT and its obviously had some more publicity recently, as many non sky subscribers have been asking about it, mainly about the full Boxsets being available.
      Must admit its one of the best TV series I've ever watched, just has everything for my entertainment and in all the right balance.
      Also started reading the books too, but I'm now at the point we are with the TV series, so don't want to spoil it by reading on.

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTP
      Router: FRITZ!Box 3490
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I have a TV in the conservatory with jus tthe now tv box as its wifi. I have a full surround sound system out there and would rather not just sit on the tablet and watch tv. I watch movies out there and it would be great to watch TV too. The GO app wont play on a TV via HDMI and i am damned if I will pay for the service I already pay for!