Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New TV

This is a discussion on New TV within the NOW TV forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I am getting a new TV next week my old television was 26" I am thinking about a 32" I ...

artblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 8368
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New TV

I am getting a new TV next week my old television was 26" I am thinking about a 32" I am not sure about plasma or LCD or LED but the most important is sound quality because my hearing is not what it was,I am going to ask them to install it for me because i am not very good at setting up these things.Will I be able to use my sky remote control or will the new remote cover the sky programs,I have a sky plus hd box but not hd but I was told that most of the sets have hd installed already.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: New TV

Depending on your specific TV, many are able to be controlled via the Sky remote control. Take a look at the link below for more information:

Sky.com - Find your remote control code

AS for the issue of volume, you may want to consider a different option in addition to your TV. Most flat screen TVs has poor speaker volume compared to the older CRT TVs. With this in mind you may want to consider using a 2.1 or 2.0 sound system and placing the speakers either side of were you sit.

If this is something which you are interested in let us know. It would help to know what 32" TV you are having installed, your budget and if you are able to extend the wiring yourself. Many surround sound systems come with proprietary connections at the sound system end, but simple wires at the other. This would allow you to extend the speaker cable if required. Another thing which many now do is include the ability to link their volume control with the TV. This means that when you turn u[ the volume on the TV, it actually turns up the volume of the sound system when it is on.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

artblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 8368
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for your your reply I am interested in a 32" Panasonic Viera around the 300 mark I will ask about the extend speakers the other point I have noticed dark scenes on my TV and it is very difficult to see the background because of the darkness will a new set improve on this

Thanks

What I was suggesting is something like this:

1. 32" TV
      2. 2.0 or 2.1 Sound System

By linking the two together, you can then place the speakers either side of where you sit, you wouldn't need the volume to be so high.

Something such as this:

Home Entertainment - Blu-ray Home Cinema - SC-BTT282 - Specification - Panasonic UK & Ireland

Looking at the manual on their site (page 6) the cables are the type which I was describing above. With a suitable addition length of speaker cable and some connector blocks, you could easily place the speakers in the right place.

(Connector Block)

The sound system I have linked above does a lot more than just give you the speakers. It is also a Blu-Ray player, Radio and will also connect to the Internet for more content.

Of course full 5.1 system would give you the surround effect, but you mentioned an issue with your hearing.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Sorry - I have just realised that you asked about the dark areas on your TV.

This really would depend on the settings on the TV. The default settings should be fine but some adjustment will probably help.

It is possible to get the TV properly calibrated. This can take a bit of time and patience to get right. Of course there are times when the producers like to deliberately have dark areas to provide suspense and mystery.

Be careful about turning up the brightness too much though. This will allow you to see where the picture quality isn't so good. This will especially be noticeable on SD channels.