Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Finally leaving SKY

This is a discussion on Finally leaving SKY within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Well after 30+ years I will be totally sky free soon. After an email or two with OR it looks ...

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: opnSense-I78550-Fanless
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Finally leaving SKY

Well after 30+ years I will be totally sky free soon. After an email or two with OR it looks like fttp isnt getting turned on here for 9 or so months, so I need a nice monthly rolling deal. I've chosen cuckoo broadband to tide me over until FTTP, now tv didnt even give me the option. The cuckoo lot are happy to email me my pppoe details so i can keep using my router, fingers crossed it all goes well. 29.99 is a bit steep to sky but sky without a contract is the same if not a little more.

2. Advertisement
      pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Re: Finally leaving SKY

Okay good luck with whoever you go with but be careful and do your research. I was with Sky since they started their broadband service I also had their telly for a long while. I didn't have any problems with either from the point of view of technicalities but I did have issues with their price and the fact that I was watching the same old content on the telly and, mostly, poorly produced local content that Sky wanted me, for the most part, to pay extra for. I went with Plusnet who offered me a much better broadband deal allbeit tied into an 18 month contract. I got rid of Sky telly a long while ago in favour of Freeview. Same ole same ole junk but at least it's free.

I am having some issues with Plusenet broadband and line rental though. I am getting occasional dropouts with the broadband something I never had, to my knowledge, with Sky. Plusnet's line rental is weird as well in as much that they have a "credit" system rather than just paying for what I use. To my mind it's weird and unnecessary especially as they keep sending me emails saying that I am reaching the end of my credit limit and I need to increase it. At the moment we are in the process of moving house so we are using the phone a lot more than we would normally. But I just want to pay for what I use I do not want to be bombarded with emails saying I should increase my credit limit.

Anyway as I say do your research.I am tied, six months into, an 18 month contract but I am seriously thinking of buying myself out of it.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Plusnet used to have a great reputation. I wonder what went wrong? And when? Is it still part of BT? Iíve cut my broadband costs by switching from Sky to NOW TV (which is still Sky really - big fan of their core/backbone network & reliability). Now on a rolling 1 month contract too.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Unfortunately not a lot of choice for me, not many offer a rolling contract now. Would hate to be stuck in an 18month contract and fttp goes live.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Surely Sky wouldn't hold you to an 18 month contract if they could get more money from you by letting you upgrade to a more expensive product (fttp).
      Unless OFCOM change their rules there is also the get out of jail free card when Sky increase their prices which invariably happens every twelve months.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'll be getting the 900Mbps when it's switched on, and Sky only provide that 145Mb one atm. TBH Sky haven't been great in this area lately, lots of disconnects for lots of people, not to mention the ever present creep of connection rate going down. I'm fully aware of better the devil... but sometimes you just gotta try it. Good thing is now if it doesnt work out I can always go back, especially as cuckoo have only a monthly rolling contract with no exit fee. Guess we'll find out soon, 23rd of next month is d day.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Woke up this morning to sky router not connected, changed settings to pppoe in Opnsense and i'm now a cuckoo. Only downside I can see is no IPv6 but apparently that's in the works, and it's not necessary or anything yet, also this is only a transition ISP while I wait for the fttp turn on. Their technicolor router is nice and has a cracking interface, still using the old hacked eci modem and opnsense box for now though.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Aaaand in another piece of cracking news i'm going to BT befor end of month... Yes I hate them but I dont hate the Fibre 900 service I now ordered. ^^ Cuckoo were awesome, just didnt have any fttp offers I could upgrade to. Finally will be on 900 down 110 up with a 450 down guarantee.