Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Couple reach the end of the line with BT after terrible customer service and switch back to Sky

This is a discussion on Couple reach the end of the line with BT after terrible customer service and switch back to Sky within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Couple reach the end of the line with BT after terrible customer service - Portsmouth News Couple reach the end ...

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Couple reach the end of the line with BT after terrible customer service and switch back to Sky

Couple reach the end of the line with BT after terrible customer service - Portsmouth News

Couple reach the end of the line with BT after terrible customer service
      BT left Fareham pensioners Jan and Mike Harding in the lurch after they switched their phone, broadband, and TV service from Sky.
      The couple had calculated ringing the changes would save a bundle on their home entertainment and phone costs, but ended up being railroaded into paying for an inferior second-rate service which left them angry and frustrated.
      Jan explained: ‘We were with Sky which was costing us quite a lot of money a month when I saw a leaflet from BT offering an all-inclusive deal so I phoned up to make enquiries and it was quite a lot cheaper.
      ‘Because my husband suffered a stroke last year and had to give up work we were looking to cut down our expenses, so I arranged it all over the phone.’
      The 72-year-old former M&S shop assistant recalled they had trouble with BT’s service right from the start.
      During the next three months the TV picture started dropping out but each time they phoned up to report the fault they were told they’d have to pay for a BT engineer to come out and fix it.
      Instead 74-year-old Mike was instructed to make adjustments to the system setup over the phone, leaving him on his back for an hour behind the TV fiddling with various plugs and sockets.
      One night the TV went off completely and although they had another spare TV they had to resort to sitting in bed to watch it.
      As if to add insult to injury the phone landline went down for a week, and the broadband connection which Jan relied upon to keep her in touch with her Macmillan Cancer Support charity fundraising activity turned out to be intermittent and unreliable.
      Jan said: ‘I asked them why we had to pay and they said it might not be our equipment that’s causing the problem. We went through all this three or four times.
      ‘It’s winter time and all we wanted to do is watch a bit of TV or go on my laptop for internet banking and all that sort of thing, but the service was diabolical.’
      Despite repeatedly complaining about not having a fully working system BT continued to take direct debit payments totalling 188.35 from their account.
      Jan’s patience finally snapped when it became obvious the system just was not up to scratch.
      Driven up the wall with all the messing about she contacted BT and told them that as they clearly couldn’t provide the advertised service she wouldn’t pay them another penny and cancelled the direct debit.
      The final nail in the coffin was when Jan received a letter from them demanding a further 379.00 contract cancellation charge. If she refused to pay they’d send in the debt collectors or see her in court.
      In desperation Jan contacted Streetwise to ask for our help.
      As soon as we got onto BT they quickly changed their tune and sprang into action.
      A spokesperson told us: ‘BT customer services has spoken with Mrs Harding and apologised, and refunded her outstanding bill, including the cancellation charges.’
      On hearing the good news Jan was overwhelmed with relief that all the hassle was finally over.
      She said: ‘After you contacted them we had a very nice BT lady on the phone who was so apologetic for all we’d been through and was really charming I have to say.
      ‘She confirmed that she had cancelled any outstanding amount allegedly owed to them by my husband and myself.’
      ‘She also apologised for the dreadful service and the stress that it has caused us.
      ‘I want to thank Streetwise, most sincerely, for taking on our issues and dealing with them on our behalf.’
      The couple have gone back to Sky for their home entertainment and internet service.
      Although the BT service did fail here.
      What annoys me more, is that they seemed to have been in a contract and not understanding exactly what they signed up to, still owinged money, even after just cancelling their direct debit.
      I often think this is where Ofcom fails. For all they should be doing for both the consumer and supplier to make it clearer to the customer, cases like this still show ignorance or confusion.
      But, its us that end up really paying for these mistakes over time.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Couple reach the end of the line with BT after terrible customer service and switch back to

At 188.95, there monthly bill was huge.

The article doesn't say what they were paying when they were with Sky. It also doesn't make it clear what services they had with BT Retail.

Unfortunately BT's Customer Services are located outside the UK and as a direct result they don't know UK Law and mess up all the time when it comes to things like this.

Hopefully the couple are now able to get a servie from another provider. Perhaps even go back to Sky.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Re: Couple reach the end of the line with BT after terrible customer service and switch back to

The 188.95 was not per month it says 'continued to take direct debit payments totalling 188.35'
      They did get a new provider at is says, they moved back to Sky, which pleases me as I know many who do to be honest have a poor time both with the BT service (BT TV being the worst) and the customer support. I have encouraged some to move to Sky and they have not regretted it and of course I have gained a nice bit of cash for doing so

Sky also by the way do have some offshore customer service.
      Not that I have any problem with that
      I was involved with as a Manager/Consultant and running project teams to send a lot of the 2nd/3rd+ level IT support out to India and other countries 5+ years back for many outsourced IT services of UK high end financial, banks, retail, pharmaceutical, industrial and government for the big IT company I used to work for before I took early retirement.
      The handover was of a very high standard and was very well received from the organisations and their customers. In some cases the customer service that never really existed was rewritten from scratch.
      I also saw a a lot of the 1st line customer support and met many of the organisations (including some UK mobile/broadband providers) and their project leaders and they also heard good feedback and they also worked very hard on the handover.
      As for the law, there are strict guidelines and big involvement form UK agencies like Ofcom and especially pharmaceutical where the law and practices are paramount.
      I understand the perception sometimes, but obviously understand and take a different view in some respects to offshore customer service
      Last edited by lettice; 23-01-15 at 08:03 AM.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I've generally had great service from sky over the phone.
      The cst folks in particular are excellent.

However, i have read some very worrying transcripts of live chat conversations & personally wouldn't use that service in its current guise.

Thanks

I left Eclipse to join Sky as I had my phone line with BT Retail. I've posted this before on this forum and since it all kicked off in 2009 I won't go into too much detail here again.

The responses I received were intolerable.

Since joining Sky I've only had the one issue with someone on the phone. The rest of the time I've been absolutely fine.

As for my friends, yes most are also now with Sky. Why? Well simply because the service is good and there are minimal issues unique to Sky.

The infrastructure is shared with most ISPs as far as the exchanges, but the main difference is at the call centres.

Sure Sky does have a few outside the UK, but these are less and less. The Pro team are new and they are based in Bulgaria. There is another team based in India, but these appear to be Ok with few complaints on the forums. Typically you'll get the India team late at night or very early in the morning. Some also work on the on-line chat section.

Since I haven't had a major issue with my own connection for some time now, as would be the case for most people on any connection, I haven't been in a position to really push Sky's support through the mill for a while. Thankfully the Ofcom figures put Sky either in 1st or 2nd place each time they are published, so it is fair to say that they are doing well.

I have helped various friends with different issues and also asked about things when they have had to change things. The feed back I've had has always been good to date.

Thanks

Agree there, never had any problem with Sky and I will go as far as saying they provide one of the best customer support models that I have experienced.
      We all deal with many companies and I'm often tearing my hair out sometimes with some poor responses and awful processes from many of them.
      Yes, it is is nice to see sky up there with their customer satisfaction.
      I do think with their online forums, getting customers involved in testing equipment, testing and commenting on new and up coming features is something that does not really happen elsewhere in quite the same way.
      I also think from what I have seen of other providers, that the online account area MYSky is the best there is. But it does amaze me that many do not use or know about it. Mostly to their detriment re offers, package usage and ease of use etc.

Re some worrying transcripts mentioned, I do often wonder whether there is quite some fiction in some of those and also see it as spies from other providers. LOL

Thanks

Since I am known to having been involved with the Beta groups in the past, yes they are good. I couldn't comment on how they compare with other companies though.

M$ does have beta testing and so too does Sony for various products.

The way in which Sky's groups have grown has been positive and IMHO a great way forward.

There is always a danger of information getting out before they want it too and this is always a factor with Sky and their approach.

Thankfully with time this has been improved upon and the feedback within the Beta tests which I have had the privilege of taking a part in has been great.