Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

unsure if to stop,or completely moved my line in,is it reliable?

This is a discussion on unsure if to stop,or completely moved my line in,is it reliable? within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Currently paying sky 14 for bb . And BT for line (ex-be*) Just about to MAC out to plusnet 40/20 ...

mrcaw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: technicolor
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

unsure if to stop,or completely moved my line in,is it reliable?

Currently paying sky 14 for bb. And BT for line (ex-be*)

Just about to MAC out to plusnet 40/20 fibre ,+ LR +Anytime calls.

Sky thrown a spanner in the works and offered free landline for 12m and I pay 7.50 bb and 5 calls. Very cheap.

My concerns are that my current connection is 10Mb - but only 0.6/8 MB upload. My download went poor after migrating from be*. Obviously nothing sky can do about this. It's one thing that was making me move away.

Can anyone comment on how reliable the line rental is I've read occasionally of it going off ? And also porting into sky's LR will force the DLM to kick in?. Maybe I could manage with the unlimited bb for another yr to save money, then look to moving away.

I've read that I could loose my number coming into sky's full LLU and also it is difficult to move back to a BT product if you wanted, is this correct?

Currently I use my old be router, as I actually like it, would I be able to stay with this. And not the sky's router? When I do a speed test now it says I'm on be* still

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: unsure if to stop,or completely moved my line in,is it reliable?

Ok,does anyone know if I change my landline from BT to sky if my current sky ported BE* speeds will change?as in will be running on sky's line and not BT (as like I've said I have sky bb but through BTs linea ATM)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok,does anyone know if I change my landline from BT to sky if my current sky ported BE* speeds will change?as in will be running on sky's line and not BT (as like I've said I have sky bb but through BTs linea ATM)

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry double post

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The line will always be BT's (well Openreach's anyway) it's just that now you have SMPF (shared metallic path facility) meaning that the line splits at the exchange to feed BT's line card for your telephone service and BE/Sky's DSLAM for broadband. In theory changing to MPF shouldn't effect your broadband as it would only require the telephone side of your line to be changed but as your broadband is being reported as BE, Sky may take the opportunity to change the broadband from inherited BE equipment to Sky's own DSLAMS which would trigger DLM.

This all assumes that your exchange has SVBN (Sky's voice and broadband network) if not then the change would just be a paper exercise with you paying line rental to Sky who would pay it back to BT at a wholesale rate.

When Sky made you this offer did they say anything about supplying you with a new Sky Hub?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

mrcaw (19-10-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for reply, as far as I know I'm able to get sky's own line/bb.my exchange is mrpre Prestwich. When I went with sky my upload went down some. Since march I have and up till a free days ago had countless conversations with the tech on sky forum. As I was wanted to see if they could tell me if the DLM had changed this, but they have assured me countless times the DLM was never and isn't on my line as it was kept with be* and they only told me again the other day,, so naturally I am concerned if I loose speed taking the line.

I spoke to the same last night who said free LL for 12months was available.

He mentioned nothing about the sky router, but a sales rep did last week when they offered me another deal to stay. And another one offered the sky hub but that was with a fibre deal.

I'm fairly happy with the bb, apart from upload. Which is low but not dire. Any lower though if sky changed me to there own bb, (if applicable) and I would be in a contract and probably regret not going fibre.

A plusnet cash back deal runs put tonight, do I've got to make my mind up

Thanks

If you want the extra speed of fibre then Plusnet should give you better value for money than Sky. Remember that you may be committing yourself to an 18 month contract and what is good value now may not appear as good a year down the line.

If you are happy with your current speed and finances are tight then the offer from Sky is also very attractive.
      I asked about the Sky hub because if it is being offered then there is almost certainly a new broadband order which would indicate that there would be changes with your broadband connectivity at the exchange. Though without a new hub I can't guarantee that Sky won't take this opportunity to make changes. Having said that, Sky's DLM is good and will achieve the best speed commensurate with the quality of your phone line. This may cause a short term drop in performance but it should recover within 10 days.

Also remember if after taking any action recommended by Sky your broadband fails to reach the minimum speed quoted when your order was placed, you will be released from your contract.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

mrcaw (20-10-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you, as you asked that before about the hub It was ticking away in my head, and realised it made sense if they was sending one out.

I think I will ring them tomorrow and ask if a new hub is required or can use my old BE* router.

Would the sales know this though? I was talking to one last week regarding packages and they didn't have to much of a clue about them. Just how much they are.

Personally if DLM wasn't active on my line id of thought It would still be at the 6db profile as was with be?. The fact that since I connected with sky the up SNR has raised to 9db and the down is stillnat 6db suggests to me something or someone has changed it.

I'll sleep on it, for the cashback with plusnet should come back in the next 30days again.

I'm kind of happy with speeds now a part from upload in connected at 10/0.8 partner can seem to use iPlayer and i game at the same time or surf so it should be enough for the coming year.

Thanks

Thanks

The sales team knowledge of the broadband provisioning process will be limited but their systems will make intelligent decisions.

You already have Sky broadband so sales can sell you a Sky hub. That would be a straight sale and wouldn't effect the broadband on your account.
      If there isn't already a Sky hub on your account and a broadband order is processed a hub (usually free) would be provided as part of the order.

If line rental is ordered I wouldn't expect a broadband order to be necessary but if the agent discusses expected broadband speeds or when the Sky hub will be delivered it would indicate that the order also involves broadband.

I am not an ex-BE customer so I'll leave it to others to reiterate their experience of changes to their broadband speed profile but if you log in to "My Sky" you can check the date when DLM was last active on your line.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

mrcaw (20-10-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

That's really helpful thanks.

Checked my sky and it shows "line testing is currently not in progress on your line" it's said that since day one.

I also have a pm from sky, who confirmed I'm still on be* equipment and that it will not change if I port landline. But this is the help section who sent me this.

So I just need to make sure like you say no order is put through for broadband. That will be a key to stopping on with be.
      Thanks

Hopefully anyone who has been through this may reply with there personal experience.