Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

I have an urgent question about cancelling down a SKY account??

This is a discussion on I have an urgent question about cancelling down a SKY account?? within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello I have been a loyal SKY customer for years - I had moved over to BT Broadband and just ...

magenta46 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have an urgent question about cancelling down a SKY account??

Hello

I have been a loyal SKY customer for years - I had moved over to BT Broadband and just then had SKY TV services on the SKY account.

I recently (over a month ago) asked them to completely CLOSE and cancel the account - I got there at the end but they were rude and difficult and tried to talk me out of it - I got them to start the cancellation process and they said on the 15th September 2014 the account will cancel down and will be closed.

I asked a the SKY staff member a few questions but he did not explain it in a good way - for example he if you have any Box Office payments that you owe SKY then SKY will get that money off you before the account is closed.. I told him I do not know what a Box Office thing is and so I probably don't owe them anything for that.

I think he said... if you do owe SKY any money the account will NOT cancel down - in other words if it does cancel down then it means SKY have got everything you owe them.. but he was rude and abrupt and did not explain it in a good way.

I checked on the 17th and 18th September 2014 and SKY TV had SWITCHED OFF - and what I mean is the paid for channels and the hard disk stopped working.

I used to make payments to SKY via Direct Debit on the 20th of every month - money would go out of the bank to them.. I will check on that day to see if there is any transactions in the future.

I would like some advice please for peace of mind - the fact that SKY TV HAS switched off - can I take that as proof that SKY has gotten any money that I owe them?

BTW what is a Box Office payment thing (AFAIK I have never used it) anyway and do you pay for it in the monthly bill??

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: I have an urgent question about cancelling down a SKY account??

Welcome to the forum magenta46.

Your normal Sky subscription is paid a month in advance so unless your last payment on 20th August was lower than usual you will have already paid up to the 19th September in which case you may be due a small refund.

If you check your remote there is a button marked Box Office. Pressing this will list pay per view programmes that is programmes that as not included in your subscription but which you can watch for a fee. If your box is connected to the internet you can also order Box Office programmes through "On Demand".

If your Sky box is connected to the telephone or internet you can check your latest Sky bill using "Sky customer services" available using the Interactive button. Alternatively you can view your bill online my logging into "My Sky" and selecting "View my bill".

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi seawright

The bill on August 20th 2014 - was a bit less that it should have been because a few weeks before that I transferred from SKY Broadband to BT Broadband so they owed me a bit.

The Sky box I had was not connected to the Internet or telephone line - AFAIK we have never got anything from the Box Office - I'm guessing it would obtained via normal monthly bill.

But the question I have (which the rude SKY staff did not explain too good) if the SKY account has been closed and cancelled down (the paid for channels and hard disk no longer work).. can I assume SKY have gotten ALL the money I owed them?

I got the understanding if you did owe them money the account would NOT cancel down?

Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

As Seawright says you will be paid up to date and will probably receive a small refund for unused days. Don't worry, you will not be asked for more money.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magenta46 View Post
      Hi seawright

The bill on August 20th 2014 - was a bit less that it should have been because a few weeks before that I transferred from SKY Broadband to BT Broadband so they owed me a bit.

The Sky box I had was not connected to the Internet or telephone line - AFAIK we have never got anything from the Box Office - I'm guessing it would obtained via normal monthly bill.

But the question I have (which the rude SKY staff did not explain too good) if the SKY account has been closed and cancelled down (the paid for channels and hard disk no longer work).. can I assume SKY have gotten ALL the money I owed them?

I got the understanding if you did owe them money the account would NOT cancel down?

Thanks
      The only way it wouldn't cancel is if you didn't make the August payment as you would have been cut-off sooner due to non-payment and then been put into the debt cycle.

The point about Box Office movies/sport doesn't count unless you've ordered some close to the date you gave notice as you cannot order any after you give notice.

You can assume this if the cancellation went through on the date your confirmation letter said it would and you didn't stop your direct debit before this date but you should always check your account online to be sure.

Thanks

If you owe Sky money the account will not cancel down but the services will. The two are not mutually dependent.
      Some ex-subscribers have found this to their cost when trying to return to Sky as new customers only to find that due to debt their old account is still active.

If you had your telephone service with Sky and it is less than three months since you transferred Sky may hold onto any overpayment for a while as other telephone service operators have this long to claim reverse charge and some other call fees from Sky.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hello

Thanks for the responses - if i did owe them money (I am 99% certain I do NOT) then wouldn't they just take it out via Direct Debit as normal in other words if on Spetember 20th they do NOT take out any further payments then I owe them nothing?

Thanks

I wasn't sure whether you had contacted your bank to cancel your Direct Debit (it's surprising how many people do). As you haven't then as you say if there is anything owed it will be taken by DD within the next few days.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi

@seawright

Yes the Direct Debit to SKY is ACTIVE and I have given strict orders to the Bank that they must NOT cancel it.. I will check on the 23rd September and ask what Direct Debits I have and what payments are going out etc.. and if SKY haven't taken out anything then that is a a good sign.

The other thing is if a customer did owe SKY something then wouldn't they send a LETTER to INFORM you.. SKY are not that stupid to NOT that do that are they???

Cheers

Thanks

Above a certain threshold a debt would be chased. Initially by sending a letter written in a friendly tone.

I don't know what the threshold is but say, for instance, that ten pence was owed. To chase such a debt wouldn't be cost effective. It may not even be brought to the attention of the team that deal with these issues but it would be enough to prevent the account from automatically closing down.

Rest assured though that provided the Direct Debit is still extant any debt, no matter how small, will be collected.

Have you ever looked at your Sky Bill?
      Your current bill and all the other bills issued over the last twelve months are available to view online, even after the account has been closed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast