Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cancelling Sky Sports Online - Is This a Con?

This is a discussion on Cancelling Sky Sports Online - Is This a Con? within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Each year, I take out Sky Sports for the cricket season and each year I have my annual tussle with ...

Hengus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Fritz!Box 7490
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Cancelling Sky Sports Online - Is This a Con?

Each year, I take out Sky Sports for the cricket season and each year I have my annual tussle with CS about cancelling. When I called them up today, the recorded message states that I can cancel Sky Sports online. I go through the various pages of offers and find the lightly coloured cancel button and press it. I get a response which states 'your 31 day period etc has started'. Checking MY Sky a couple of hours later there is no record showing that I have given notice nor is there an e-mail from Sky. I ring CS again to be told that (a) it is not possible to cancel online, (b) we have to speak to you to tell you all about offers and (c) I will now cancel it for you and the only way that you will know it has been actioned is when your next payment changes. This is hardly the way a professional company should work. Surely, if Sky is offering online package cancellations then there should be some form of confirmation given to avoid an argument in a month's time. I like SKY but each year at this time I begin to wonder why?

Edit:

By trial and error, I have just found that the new MySky billing page does not appear to show package changes. Switching back to the old version of MySky billing shows a change from 'variety with Sports to variety'.
      Last edited by Hengus; 22-08-14 at 11:56 AM.

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Cancelling Sky Sports Online - Is This a Con?

Quote Originally Posted by Hengus View Post
      Each year, I take out Sky Sports for the cricket season and each year I have my annual tussle with CS about cancelling. When I called them up today, the recorded message states that I can cancel Sky Sports online. I go through the various pages of offers and find the lightly coloured cancel button and press it. I get a response which states 'your 31 day period etc has started'. Checking MY Sky a couple of hours later there is no record showing that I have given notice nor is there an e-mail from Sky. I ring CS again to be told that (a) it is not possible to cancel online, (b) we have to speak to you to tell you all about offers and (c) I will now cancel it for you and the only way that you will know it has been actioned is when your next payment changes. This is hardly the way a professional company should work. Surely, if Sky is offering online package cancellations then there should be some form of confirmation given to avoid an argument in a month's time. I like SKY but each year at this time I begin to wonder why?

Edit:

By trial and error, I have just found that the new MySky billing page does not appear to show package changes. Switching back to the old version of MySky billing shows a change from 'variety with Sports to variety'.
      You might be able to downgrade online through "live chat" but I'm not certain on that. It's simpler to just call 03442 414141 and select the option to downgrade. It's 31 days notice and the change will show on your next bill. They should but don't AFAIK send an email since they send these to confirm most other changes nowadays. Send it as a suggestion online, it would be helpful if they did.

As long as you call the correct number there should be a record of you calling to downgrade so if it doesn't go through as expected then they would credit the overcharge before/after it's taken from your bank account. Remember the monthly payment shows on your MySky account for 14 days before it's taken from your account so as long as there is more than 3 days to your payment due date the amount can be amended before the payment is taken, if any mistakes are made. Although you do have to check this yourself.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks. It is just so painful. The 'online' Sports cancellation process takes you through pages of offers. It 'highlights' the cancel the cancellation option but puts the cancel button in a light shade which is difficult to find. I cannot understand why Sky treats its loyal customers in such an 'underhand' way. Vent over.

Thanks

Thanks. It is just so painful. The 'online' Sports cancellation process takes you through pages of offers. It 'highlights' the cancel the cancellation option but puts the cancel button in a light shade which is difficult to find. I cannot understand why Sky treats its loyal customers in such an 'underhand' way. Vent over.
      It's news to me. We've never been told there is ANY way to downgrade online.

Exchange:
      Thanks

It was on the automated menu when I rang CS this morning. Accessed via sky.com/cancelsports

Thanks

It was on the automated menu when I rang CS this morning. Accessed via sky.com/cancelsports
      So that's an improvement for loyal customers.
      Really, send a suggestion online for an email confirming a downgrade.
      Actually I think it shows on your MySky account within 24 hours of the call that there is a future change to your tv package, if you look at the charges on next bill tab in the billing area. Could you confirm this or not?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

When I try to go to the sky.com/cancelsports page get a 404 error, Page not found.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

You are right - it's gone. I may be getting old but it was there this morning.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Update: An e-mail came in this morning - 'Here's an update on the recent changes to your Sky Account'. The e-mail goes on to say 'The change to your Sky package will be effective in 31 days unless otherwise agreed'. As notice was given on the 22nd, I shall watch this one closely.