Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Looking into the idea of cancelling part of my package - need advice.

This is a discussion on Looking into the idea of cancelling part of my package - need advice. within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi there, We moved into our current house in 2007 and took out a SKY package comprising of: TV in ...

Jtattersall83 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clitheroe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Looking into the idea of cancelling part of my package - need advice.

Hi there,

We moved into our current house in 2007 and took out a SKY package comprising of:

TV in two rooms (One Sky + box and one a standard DigiBox)
      Phone & Broadband (Kept line rental still with BT and not with Sky)

The current costs are:

Sky TV - SKY + Subscription= Free
      Entertainment Extra= 26.00
      Extra Subscription= 10.00 (for the multi-room)

Total TV Cost= 36 per month

Sky Broadband= 17 per month (Sky Connect)

Sky Talk Freetime= Usually between 30-50 per month (Free weekend and evening calls to land-lines and some 0800 numbers)

So i am roughly paying 80-100 per month depending on how much my call costs are for during the month.

Going back to the original reason why I started this post, I am looking into the option of keeping my SKY TV Package as is but going elsewhere for my broadband and phone needs. This is partly due to cost but also I have had some pretty bad experiences with the broadband service, for example frequent disconnections in the evening and a massive slow down at peak times. By the looks of it this is pretty standard with the Connect service, which I was put on as SKY was not in my area (still isn't from what I gather) when I had signed up.

The main queries I have are:

- If I was to change my package to just TV only (which is total 36 per month currently) would I still be paying just that? Would my price for TV go up if I left? I am conscious that I signed up to one complete package in 2007 and I am concerned that if I do move then the price savings being saved by changing Phone and Broadband might be negated by a price rise on my TV. If I contact SKY directly via email or their forum would they tell me this?

- Any advice on how to go about this change? I have seen some comparison sites (e.g. Uswitch) that have discounted products (for example half price for 12 months on a phone and broadband package) and they claim that they will sort out the switch for you. Is it that easy or would I have to contact SKY?

I know this is a pretty long winded post, to anyone who has read it thank you for taking the time for reading this. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Looking into the idea of cancelling part of my package - need advice.

Your TV package will be 36.75 per month and you will have to contact Sky for a migration authorisation code (MAC) to transfer to most broadband providers. Not sure about TalkTalk if you were thinking to switching to them it may be worth calling them first to see if you would require a MAC.

As your line rental is with BT I would wait to see if your new BB provider has any requirement for you to also switch line rental and calls to them before making a decision on your telephone service.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Jtattersall83 (02-03-13)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

TV, Talk and Broadband are separate contracts, you can cancel the broadband and Talk without it effecting your TV. Your best procedure is to phone Sky and ask for a MAC to transfer your broadband, do not mention cancelling at this stage, just tell them you want your MAC period. When you have your MAC you can then approach another provider, if you are on Connect then this is likely to be BT or another ISP reselling their product, tell them you want to change provider for both your phone and broadband and give them the MAC when requested. From there the new provider will take care of everything. When you get confirmation, you can then contact Sky and give them their 31 days notice of cancellation of your phone and broadband.. Remember to do this or they may still keep charging you.

I am surprised you stuck with Connect for so long, you will find it difficult to find a worse service.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Jtattersall83 (02-03-13)

Thanks

Not sure how this will turn out http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/gener...-business.html but if Be/O2 is your chosen BB supplier you may find you are changing from Sky to Sky. No guarantee but if this deal goes through there is a good chance that by staying with Sky you will get the opportunity to transfer from Sky Connect to Unlimited. As you have been with Sky since 2007 it may be worth waiting two more months before making a decision.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Jtattersall83 (02-03-13)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies,

Yeah the Connect service is awful, pretty much unusable at peak time. I am seriously thinking about changing supplier but I would need to work out how much it would obviously cost to do so.

Just one final query, I see that most require that you pay line rental as well. I assume this means your line rental switches from BT to them in my case? What if I was to go with BT, would this line rental price be factored in? If I already pay line rental to them would I have to pay this 10+ more?

Thanks

Unless you get a second line you will only have to pay one line rental charge to one supplier.

Thanks

O2, shortly to become Sky, is probably your best choice. You can choose whether you want to move your ine to them or leave it with BT. The cost, even for their full unlimited package, is a lot less than you are paying for Connect.
      O2 | Broadband | Giving You Choice, Value and Support

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Jtattersall83 (04-03-13)

Thanks

Thanks for the replies and help on this thread I really appreciate it.

I have contacted Sky, I requested the MAC code via their online form and put in the description that I was looking into the possibility of changing. This is the reply they gave me:

I'm sorry to hear that you no longer want to continue with your Broadband service and would like to thank you for your custom.
      In line with the cancellation terms and conditions, I've arranged for your MAC (migration authorisation code) to be sent to you. A letter will be issued separately within the next 5 days.
      When you receive your MAC, please give this to your new provider within 30 days or the code will become invalid. Once the MAC is used by your new provider, it will automatically take over the Broadband service from us.
      If you are going to a cable company, you’ll not need a MAC code. If this is the case, please email me as soon as possible or call our Customer Service team on <08442 41 41 41 as soon as this is done, so that we can arrange the cancellation.

==

I assume I will still have my broadband and phone service until I contact my new provider and give them the MAC? I used the online form because I couldn't find the right place to go to via their phone system.

Thanks

If all goes well your move should be almost seamless with a downtime of only a few minutes. Doing it on line is probably the best way. You have written proof of exactly when you requested the MAC, should there be any problems, which you don't get with a phone call.

TomD

Useful Utilites

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Jtattersall83 (04-03-13)