Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree3Likes
    • 2 Post By indefatigable
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

Want a discount? Not for much longer...maybe...

This is a discussion on Want a discount? Not for much longer...maybe... within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I was going to stick this in the "Rumour Mill" section but can't, but if anyone wants to move it ...

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Want a discount? Not for much longer...maybe...

I was going to stick this in the "Rumour Mill" section but can't, but if anyone wants to move it feel free!

So, I was speaking to Sky today about my account to check when my current "return to Sky" deal was due to end. The chap in Billing told me to call back on the 1st February to discuss any deals that may be available, however he told me that there may well be nothing available because...

"...Sky are gradually removing the discounts that can be applied from all departments. The long term view is that Sky is a premium product and you can either afford it or you can't. So apart from some initial new customer deals we are working towards getting rid of all discounts."
      Personally I can't see them removing all discounts, but he was a long serving staff member who seemed to really know what he he was talking about so who knows? He also told me Sky World is no more and it is now known as "Entertainment Extra with Sports & Movies". What a mouthful!!

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Want a discount? Not for much longer...maybe...

Maybe it will happen, at the end of the day, you only have to read on here, all the different deals that people have managed to get off Sky.

Its hardly fair, when one person can get 50% off for a year, when another cannot. But then if those that don't ask, will never get.

Sky are probably just going to align it so it is uniform.

New customers will always get the better pricing, thats a fact. We were all new customers at one time, and we got the best deal on signup as well. When we first started this website, Sky were paying 500 to purchase a HD box, nowadays I bet it is a lot less for a 5 times better product.

As for it being a premium service, I agree, we all have the choice whether or not to subscribe, or continue to subscribe once out of contract. We may all want something extra for free, but then again, Sky don't have to provide it for free, as at the end of the day, they are a business and need to make a profit. Something that I personally don't begrudge.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

They've been trying to limit offers for a few years now. It's fairly common knowledge that you'll get an offer if you phone up and threaten to cancel. They've had brief periods where they stopped giving out offers that lowered a customers existing package, and only offer upgrade discounts.

It'll be good if they get everyone paying the same price for their package as this means they can actually offer proper loyalty bonuses. No longer will they be giving away random offers to customers who are claiming loyalty, and the ones who truly are loyal will get proper offers.
      NewsreadeR and jayhab like this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

As much as this sounds nice and fair, there will always be those who do enjoy watching Sky TV, for example, but have fallen on harder times. Whilst I am not suggesting that everyone else should shoulder the costs (those discounts have to be subsidised somehow) but there are times when it would be nicer to help some people for a short period to help them through what could be a financial problem (i.e. loss of job, wage earner).

At the same time there are some simple loyalty discounts which are that well known. For example many people have mentioned the loss of the 2.50 discount after the 1st year for having both Sky TV & Sky Broadband Unlimited. A simple phone call & you can agree to stay with Sky for another 12 months will ensure that it gets applied once more.
      NewsreadeR likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      They've been trying to limit offers for a few years now. It's fairly common knowledge that you'll get an offer if you phone up and threaten to cancel. They've had brief periods where they stopped giving out offers that lowered a customers existing package, and only offer upgrade discounts.

It'll be good if they get everyone paying the same price for their package as this means they can actually offer proper loyalty bonuses. No longer will they be giving away random offers to customers who are claiming loyalty, and the ones who truly are loyal will get proper offers.
      I actually cancelled everything (TV, phone & BB) about 2 weeks ago and was not offered anything to stay! I've been with Sky about 20 years too.
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Ludd View Post
      I actually cancelled everything (TV, phone & BB) about 2 weeks ago and was not offered anything to stay! I've been with Sky about 20 years too.
      You will get a please come back to Sky letter soon.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

They'll have to make me an offer I can't refuse then!
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Ludd View Post
      They'll have to make me an offer I can't refuse then!
      That'll be a call from the Sicilian mail centre then.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

A new customer may get a free Sky stb with free install and be on a basic entertainment package paying 21/month. The box plus installation can't really be free and I don't believe other customers are subsidising this as (like pyramid selling schemes) this would not be sustainable. Neglecting any price rise during the minimum term the real cost of the box with install must be less than 277 (12x21+25 NPL/Interact svc agree.) which allows nothing for cost of providing the TV service.

From above the majority of any continued subscription after the minimum term must be pure profit for Sky therefore 12 months half price subscription must be much better for Sky than a cancellation. Indeed if subsidisation was artificially inflating Sky's subscription prices the cancellations would effect this more than any discount deals given as an incentive to stay.
      Last edited by seawright; 14-10-12 at 06:52 PM. Reason: layout