Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New house set up for Virgin rather than Sky

This is a discussion on New house set up for Virgin rather than Sky within the Joining or leaving Sky forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello, I'm after a little advice on wither our new house which is already set up for Virgin is compatible ...

munties is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Warminster
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

New house set up for Virgin rather than Sky

Hello,

I'm after a little advice on wither our new house which is already set up for Virgin is compatible with Sky.

The previous owners had set up Virgin going to almost every room in the house & I would like to do this with Sky.

There is a unit in the loft which seems to be there for sending the incoming signal to each room.

I know that a Sky box tunes the LMB into the required signal & that Virgin is just basically everything being sent down the cable & the box decoding it as required.

Will this box just scramble the Sky signal & mess it all up, should I just go for the easy option & go for Virgin as the house is set up for it.

Thanks for your advice,

Anthony.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: New house set up for Virgin rather than Sky

Its up to you really, the TV set up should work with the Sky box the same as with the Virgin one. I would base my decision on the speed I could get from Sky v Virgin. If you are a long way from the exchange and don't have fibre, Sky are unlikely to be competitive. This only applies if you are interested in broadband of course.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I suspect that the Virgin distribution system will not work with Sky. With Virgin, all the TV signals come down the one fibre and are separated (tuned) at the set-top box. Provided you have a set-top box for each TV you will be able to watch all the channels on any of the TVs. With Sky, although some tuning is done at the box, some is also done at the antenna. The system cannot handle more than one TV from one antenna feed. You can still get multi-room from Sky, but you will need a different set-up.
      Wireless

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You could be right Felix, but I thought the distribution would be done by coax which could be connected to the RF2 as many do in conjunction with 'magic eyes'. I didn't think Virgin used fibre within or into the home.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by munties View Post
      Hello,

I'm after a little advice on wither our new house which is already set up for Virgin is compatible with Sky.

The previous owners had set up Virgin going to almost every room in the house & I would like to do this with Sky.

There is a unit in the loft which seems to be there for sending the incoming signal to each room.

I know that a Sky box tunes the LMB into the required signal & that Virgin is just basically everything being sent down the cable & the box decoding it as required.

Will this box just scramble the Sky signal & mess it all up, should I just go for the easy option & go for Virgin as the house is set up for it.

Thanks for your advice,

Anthony.
      What do you want to have in the house for yourself?
      Do you wants tv in all these rooms?

Both Sky and Virgin can provide tv into 1, 2 or many rooms but is that what you would want?

You need to decided what you want the system to give you then decide between the two which can best give you that service. Sky and Virgin are both pretty similar really.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You could be right Felix, but I thought the distribution would be done by coax which could be connected to the RF2 as many do in conjunction with 'magic eyes'. I didn't think Virgin used fibre within or into the home.
      My apologies. Virgin use coax into the house, not fibre.

I have a similar distribution system in my house but only for terrestrial TV, with a signal booster and distributor in the loft and coax running to wall sockets all over the house. Goodness knows why the previous occupant needed that many TVs.
      Wireless

smudge1977 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ATTERCLIFFE, SHEFFIELD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: waiting for router
      Thanks

HI

you will probably find that the box in loft is to feed each room with the virgin and terrestrial signal. The same as RF2 does on a sky box. you will just need to check model of box and let us know on here. It would help if you took a few pics. o we can see wire in living room and loft.

regards

James

ronnie38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: VIRGIN
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If your after a box in every room I believe Virgin is the way to go. If your after broadband Virgin is definately the way to go.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

There is much debate over the VM broadband. In many areas it is over subscribed and very slow at peak times.

In the few cases where Sky Broadband has had issues, they have improved the backhaul and those areas no longer have the same problems with peak times. Of course a new area may become affected, but Sky does invest a lot on this service.

Sure the 100mb and 120mb service from VM is good, but then Sky can supply a product which uses the BTO 80/20 FTTC infrastructure.

BTW: What is capping and throttling?

As for multi-room, I don't have the VM prices to compare, but the channel line up for Sky is far better IMHO. With the current total of 66 HD channels (including the only 3D channel in Europe and 2 SBO channels) available to subscribe to, can you say the same?

It really depends on what you want from your TV package, whether you can put a dish up or if VM has a cabinet which you can connect to and how much you are prepared to pay.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie38 View Post
      If your after a box in every room I believe Virgin is the way to go. If your after broadband Virgin is definately the way to go.
      I have the choice of both for broadband and use neither, however I do understand fanboys blinkered opinions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast