Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By marjohn56

Sky completes roll out of IPv6 becoming the first major UK Internet provider to future-proof it

This is a discussion on Sky completes roll out of IPv6 becoming the first major UK Internet provider to future-proof it within the IPv6 forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...-for-customers Sky today announces that over 90% of its broadband customers are now IPv6 enabled, future-proofing its network for millions ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Sky completes roll out of IPv6 becoming the first major UK Internet provider to future-proof it

https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...-for-customers
      Sky today announces that over 90% of its broadband customers are now IPv6 enabled, future-proofing its network for millions of customers.

Ensuring customers broadband connections are IPv6 ready is an essential development for Sky customers using the Internet. IPv6 will provide an almost limitless supply of IP addresses, so customers can continue to enjoy using the Internet across multiple devices without risk of losing connection.

Whether it’s watching their favourite TV shows online, buying concert tickets or online shopping, Sky is committed to providing its customers with a reliable broadband experience, as the Internet transitions to the next-generation addressing standard.

After the success of extensive testing and trials, a controlled rollout of updating the home routers for millions of Sky customers commenced and is now almost completed for all eligible customers.

Mohamed Hammady, Chief Technical Officer, Sky UK commented: "Technical leadership is part of Sky’s DNA. We were the first carrier in the UK to introduce 100Gb/s fibre optic technology for our core network, and the first European adopter of Cisco’s latest carrier grade routers, the NCS6000 series, bringing 8Tb/s technology to our super-core. And now, we’re enabling the network to IPv6, future-proofing millions of customers’ broadband connections. All these developments help us to support customers’ huge demand for viewing TV on multiple devices and demonstrate Sky’s commitment to giving customers the best broadband experience.”

Sky was recently awarded The Jim Bound IPv6 Award in recognition for driving IPv6 adoption in the industry and is the first major UK ISP to implement IPv6.

Customers do not need to do anything to their compatible router as it will have been updated automatically.

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Re: Sky completes roll out of IPv6 becoming the first major UK Internet provider to future-proo

Some information further down in that press release is also interesting;

• By the end of 2016 all eligible customers will be IPv6 enabled, raising the total to 95% of all Sky broadband customers.
      • 95% of Sky’s routers and services are IPv6 compliant; with the exception of customers using their own router which may not be compliant, customers on the Sky Connect product, and customers using some older Sky routers, which are not compliant.
      • The IPv6 connectivity is provided alongside the existing IPv4 based connection using a technique known as dual stack. Each customer is provided with a /56 prefix, that can support up to 256 networks within the home. The Sky router software also supports a stateful IPv6 firewall.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lettice For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (07-09-16)

hicksmat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Middleton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Apple Airport Extreme ac
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky completes roll out of IPv6 becoming the first major UK Internet provider to future-proo

M24 and I still don't have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

My sagecom sky router has now been connected for just over 1.5 weeks and still no sniff of ipv6, so my exchange doesn't have it yet.
      I will now go back to using my Billion 7800N.

One thing I did notice is that with the sky router my internet radios remained connected (wifi) almost permanently. With my Billion router, I am resetting the connection on one radio in particular at least evey other day, sometimes several times a day.

They are quite old and I did think that they were on their way out, but obviously not.
      I am not sure what is different between the Billion and the Sagecom to cause this.

Anyone any ideas?

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
      My sagecom sky router has now been connected for just over 1.5 weeks and still no sniff of ipv6, so my exchange doesn't have it yet.
      I will now go back to using my Billion 7800N.
      Nothing to do with the exchange.
      That Sagam router is pretty old.
      Has the Sagam had a firmware update this year from Sky?
      The sr101/2 and the sky q hub have all had firmware updates that flagged IPv6.

Thanks

It has the latest firmware as shown on this forum. I am on fibre pro unlimited or whatever it is called these days.

Thanks

Just a thought.............

If my sagecom router is that old, shouldn't Sky be supplying me with a new and more modern router?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I do recall someone from Sky saying that all the Sagem routers had been updated to support IPv6 with their latest firmware updates. At the time they were being tested for IPv6 support. I can't see them going backwards on that one.

The question of support on the other routers (Netgear & D-Link) wasn't answered at the time so I suspect that they haven't been updated to support IPv6.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

My old Sagem worked with IPv6 first time I tried it after I knew that IPv6 had been enabled on my line. I had not used it for more than twelve months prior to that.
      Scubbie likes this.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------