Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

internet access works, cant share printer

This is a discussion on internet access works, cant share printer within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Hi I have three PC's at home, all are Windows XP, and have NIS2007 installed too.... The main unit is ...

justme is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnham
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question internet access works, cant share printer

Hi

I have three PC's at home, all are Windows XP, and have NIS2007 installed too....
      The main unit is connected to the Sky router via the yellow Ethernet cable... and has the Canon printer connected directly to it....
      The 2nd desktop PC has a wireless card installed, and uses the wireless functionality of the sky router, so the Internet is accessible upstairs...

Finally my work laptop with built in wireless can also access the web, this all works very well.

I really want to share the printer, but I'm not very expert on these matters
      I set up home network on the 1st PC and upstairs PC, using the default names of MSHOME (until i get this working, then I will change to something more secure), but I still cannot see these computers in the same workgroup. I hope this is making sense to you experts out there.....

any help would be much appreciated

thnx

2. Advertisement
      sassylady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWKLAN
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: internet access works, cant share printer

I also have set up a wireless home network, and then mapped drive of main pc to the others and also made the 2 laptops users on the main PC so that we all had administrative rights, we can now all use the same shared printer, it should show as 'shared' on the main pc, took a lil while but it now works.
      Rosie
      12591 kb/s Download 579 kb/s upload

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

HI
      sorry, I dont understand your answer.... sounds far to complicated for me...

All i want to do is let the upstairs pc (winxp sp2, connected wirelessly to the sky router) print to the canon i450 connected to the main pc (windows vista home premium) - this is connected directly to the sky router via the yellow ethernet cable.
      We can both broswe the web, without problem, but even tho my printer says its set up for sharing, i still cant make printing work.

thanks
      justme

daver1974 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

OK.
      Does the Vista PC have Norton?
      Norton has been bundled with many new PCs and Laptops containing Vista.
      Guess what. Norton is set by default to block files and printer sharing on your network.
      I had this problem, but rather than change the settings in Norton, I just uninstalled it and installed McAfee instead (Free for 1 year with Sky BB).
      McAfee sees your home/office network and asks if you would like to trust it. Say yes.
      Also, install this update Network Map in Windows Vista does not display computers that are running Windows XP on all your XP machines as it should help Vista see them.
      Also, check what your workgroup name is in all machines, as by default XP uses MSHOME and Vista uses WORKGROUP. They need to be the same. The easiest way to make them the same would be to run the "Setup a home or small office network" wizard on your XP machines.
      Once your XP machines, and Vista machine see each other, you should be able to add a networked printer. Remember to install the printer drivers on the machines (in your case XP) that are going to access the said printer.
      Hope this helps.
      Last edited by daver1974; 08-05-07 at 04:56 PM.

chrisypea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Waltham Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Assuming that you have set the printer to be shared as you said you have, turn your firewall off on the computer with the printer and see if you can see the computer on the network from one of your laptops.

To do this go to "My Network Places" which should be available on either your start menu or the my computer screen.

If you can see the computer click onto it and see if the printer is listed under the printers and faxes menu.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Chrissypea and Daver1974 - thanks or your messages

I downloaded the patch and installed this on the windows XP machine...
      I was not brave enough to uninstall the Norton Internet Security 2007 (installed on both machines), but did find , as you said, that file and printer sharing was disabled. So I tured these on.....

I still cannot get the two computers to see each other, let alone share the printer.
      When I do network setup on the XP machine, and save the contents onto a USB drive, the Vista machine reads the drive, goes through all the motions, looks like its transferring data, and then states "Cannot complete the Network Setup Wizard" "an error occured during configuration of the network on the computer" "you can configure your network manually or you can run the wizard again with different settings"
      (this is with me turning off the firewalls on both pc's)
      Hmmm
      So that doesn't work.

So now I try once more to setup networking from the Vista machine...
      Network and Sharing Center only shows my vista machine, never the upstairs XP unit, or the router, should it?

There is a button marked "add a printer" - it is already working with this pc, so I imagine this has something to do with network printing.... when I press this I get "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system adminsrator" !!
      My login is set as adminstrator, always has been... so I have no idea what these restrictions are...

FYI The printer shows as shared when looking at the printer properties...

I am setup as a Private Network, I can see an image of my pc, the network called MSHOME, and then the internet. When I press "view full map" it says "Windows cannot create the network map. Responses from other devices on the network are delayed or there is an incompatible router on the network"

So, in summary
      I can't network using XP
      I can't network using Vista
      i can still share internet access though

I'm being told that the Sky router is incompatible, maybe...

I am at the limit of my knowledge and am now almost resigned to buying another printer to add to the upstairs pc, buy a copy of WIndows XP to install on this Vista machine to get networking back, or pay some proper pcnetworking guru to come and make this work in two minutes flat and charge me lots of money.. all three ideas seem just plain silly to me!

not a quick reply, but an honest one!

keep your ideas rollinf in please!
      kind regards
      justme

neilornoneil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01775
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had the same problem and eventually worked out that the Norton Internet Security Firewall was blocking the networking. Rather than fiddle about with the Norton firewall settings I just turned it off and switched the Windows firewall on instead.

This worked for me, to great relief! Hope it helps

Neil