Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Mapping to default Windows shares?

This is a discussion on Mapping to default Windows shares? within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Hi All I cannot connect to the default Windows shares of the rest of my home network using the Netgear? ...

Dlands is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Exclamation Mapping to default Windows shares?

Hi All

I cannot connect to the default Windows shares of the rest of my home network using the Netgear?

What I get when I try to map a network drive is the logon dialog appearing, then I enter the username & password for the PC I am trying to connect to & it does not accept it? The username does have admin rights on the PC in fact I have user the admin acct as well with no luck.

If I share any other folder I connect no problem it just I cannot log in to the default admin shares?

Any ideas?

Best rgds Dave

2. Advertisement
      oldster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gosport
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Mapping to default Windows shares?

Probably silly question, have you marked the folders/drives you are trying to share as shareable on the PC you are trying to connect to?

Are you using IPX/SPX/Netbios Protocol for your Network sharing?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldster View Post
      Probably silly question, have you marked the folders/drives you are trying to share as shareable on the PC you are trying to connect to?

Are you using IPX/SPX/Netbios Protocol for your Network sharing?
      Hi oldster

I have not marked the folders/drives I want to share as they are the default windows shares ie: C: is shared by default in Windows as C$ this is what I want to access.

It has to be something to do with the router as I can do it fine on other networks at work etc.

Using TCP/IP

Rgds Dave

oldster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gosport
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dlands View Post
      Hi oldster

I have not marked the folders/drives I want to share as they are the default windows shares ie: C: is shared by default in Windows as C$ this is what I want to access.

It has to be something to do with the router as I can do it fine on other networks at work etc.

Using TCP/IP

Rgds Dave
      Are you using WinXP at work? To my knowledge in WinXP nothing is shareable by default other than the 'shared Documents' Folder in 'My Documents'.

For WinXP in 'My Network Places' set up a Home Network on all PC's you want to share.

Then mark the C drive or individual Folders (more secure) as shareable. In 'My Computer' right click on C Drive or on individual folders select 'Sharing & Security' and then tick the box for Sharing, you should then be able to see that drive on the other PC through 'Map Network Drive.

Sorry if this is too simplistiic, don't know the level of your experience ....
      Last edited by oldster; 24-01-07 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Typo

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Oldster

Many thanks for all your help I found what I was looking for, under My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View right down the bottom turn off "use simple file sharing" and bingo I now have access to the default C$ share!

Bst rgds Dave