Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By The Realist

BTís TV Adverts Banned for Misleading Infinity Broadband Quality Claims

This is a discussion on BTís TV Adverts Banned for Misleading Infinity Broadband Quality Claims within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; BT's TV Adverts Banned for Misleading Infinity Broadband Quality Claims - ISPreview UK Telecoms giant BT has landed itself in ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

BTís TV Adverts Banned for Misleading Infinity Broadband Quality Claims

BT's TV Adverts Banned for Misleading Infinity Broadband Quality Claims - ISPreview UK
      Telecoms giant BT has landed itself in hot water again after the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) was forced to ban three of their TV adverts for making ďmisleadingĒ BTInfinity (FTTC) ďfibre broadbandĒ quality claims versus rival UK ISPs Sky Broadband and Virgin Media.

The three adverts, which were all seen in October 2015, attracted several complaints from Sky Broadband and one member of the public. The first advert (a) boasted of ďBT Infinityís super responsiveness when youíre online gamingĒ (a vague reference to latency / ping times and or jitter performance) and claimed that BT was better for this than Virgin Media.

The second advert (b) featured a topless man using a hula-hoop and boasted that BT Infinity delivered ďSUPER SMOOTH VIDEO CALLINGď, which later used evidence from a SamKnows report to claim that ďBT Infinity offers smoother video calling than Virgin Media

The final advert (c) featured a cheetah and an actress boasting about the performance of BT Infinity, which rounded off by claiming that ďBT Infinity offers faster download speeds than Skyď. Naturally Sky was not amused and complained that there was not enough evidence in the advert for such a comparison to be verified.

Similarly a member of the public, who claimed to have used both Virgin Media and BT Infinity, complained that they had seen ďno difference in their user experienceĒ between either service in reference to online gaming performance (a) and video calling smoothness (b). The ASA ultimately upheld all three complaints and their ruling is very long, making it difficult to summarise.

Broadly speaking the ASA agreed that BT had not adequately tested enough of their service or provided enough evidence in order to substantiate their various claims

ASA Ruling (REF: A15-317382)

We considered that the claims ďBT Infinity offers more responsive gaming than Virgin MediaĒ and ďBT Infinity offers smoother video calling than Virgin MediaĒ had not been adequately substantiated and therefore concluded that ads (a) and (b) were misleading.

We [also] considered that the claim ďBT Infinity offers faster download speeds than SkyĒ had not been adequately substantiated and therefore concluded that ad (c) was misleading.

We considered that, because not all the necessary data and results were available, the information provided [advert c] was not sufficient to ensure the details of the comparison could be verified by consumers and competitors, and concluded that the ad breached the Code.
      As usual the adverts were banned in their previous form and the ASA told BT ďnot to repeat the claims in the ads unless they held documentary evidence to substantiate them and made available sufficient information about their methodology and data for verification

The outcome is hardly surprising because it is difficult to accurately compare latency times / jitter (online gaming performance) or something as ambiguous as the ďsmoothnessĒ of video calling, particularly as the experience will vary between different customers, locations, servers and network / computer setups (e.g. wifi or wired) etc. The ASA clearly recognised that more data was needed in order to support such claims.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: BTís TV Adverts Banned for Misleading Infinity Broadband Quality Claims

Another lick on the wrist by the toothless watchdog.

Just passed a huge billboard this morning advertising high speed Sky Fibre. Fifty yards further, another huge bill board, this time claiming BT Fibre had a much higher start speed than Sky. Sky 38MB* - BT - 52MB*.

*Not typos, it actually says MBytes, not Mbits.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

BT said that they would be pushing their new "up to 52mb" product.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Companies like leading the blind and treat people like donkey's with a bloody carrot and a stick.

The difference between 38 and 52 is not noticeable to the everyday user and they just like playing with words and treat people like thick idiots.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

Thanks

Unfortunately for anyone who is unfamiliar with the full facts, 52 does sound a lot better than 38. If they happen to be the same or very similar price, then guess what they're going to get?

Of course if their line can only support 25mb, then that's what they'll get.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

The Realist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Anything
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre 100GB Trial Gold X
      Router: Sky Q Hub Mk7 Trial Gold
      Sky TV: SkyQ/Motorised
      Thanks

Yep nail on the head.
      Scubbie likes this.
      Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and in no way represent the views or policies of my employer.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

When I first had SF - I had the 40/2 then 40/10 speeds. My estimates at the time were 53Mb and I took a bit of a punt on pro and ended up with 60/20.

If I'd had remained at that speed and 52 came along, then I'd probably have dropped back to a 52Mb product.

I somehow manage to then get some big speed bumps about a year ago and now have an attainable rate of just about 79500/2000 and I receive the full 80.

I do wish they would hurry up with G.Fast etc though.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      I somehow manage to then get some big speed bumps about a year ago and now have an attainable rate of just about 79500/2000 and I receive the full 80.
      2000 is a typo I presume ?

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Another lick on the wrist by the toothless watchdog.

Just passed a huge billboard this morning advertising high speed Sky Fibre. Fifty yards further, another huge bill board, this time claiming BT Fibre had a much higher start speed than Sky. Sky 38MB* - BT - 52MB*.

*Not typos, it actually says MBytes, not Mbits.
      The graphic is also not in scale. The advert is like a car speed dial.
      Sky is shown as low speed and the BT is shown as like top-speed however the 14Mb potential difference is nothing like that much. There is no scale on the graphic it has just been chosen to make BT look better.

I can feel a ban coming but of course only after it has stopped running.

[Edit] Here's a picture of the offending graphic:

BTís TV Adverts Banned for Misleading Infinity Broadband Quality Claims-sky-bt-52mbps-1-640x308.jpg
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      The graphic is also not in scale. The advert is like a car speed dial.

[Edit] Here's a picture of the offending graphic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sky-bt-52mbps-1-640x308.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	6151
      That's the one, it looks more effective on a billboard about 30 feet by 15 feet. As you say, it will probably get banned after the promotion has finished

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.