Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT Set to Avoid Openreach Split as Ofcom Opts for the Middle Ground

This is a discussion on BT Set to Avoid Openreach Split as Ofcom Opts for the Middle Ground within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; BT Set to Avoid Openreach Split as Ofcom Opts for the Middle Ground - ISPreview UK The UK telecoms regulatory ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

BT Set to Avoid Openreach Split as Ofcom Opts for the Middle Ground

BT Set to Avoid Openreach Split as Ofcom Opts for the Middle Ground - ISPreview UK
      The UK telecoms regulatory will publish the outcome of their ‘Strategic Review of Digital Communications‘ on Thursday and unsurprisingly there have been some leaks, which appear to confirm our expectation that Ofcom will NOT move to split BT from control of its national phone and broadband network (Openreach).

Instead Ofcom is expected to impose greater separation of Openreach from BT, which could involve giving rival ISPs more access to Openreach’s national network of cables and telephone exchanges (a highly likely outcome). Potentially Ofcom may also require BT’s network access division to have its own separate board, which the operator won’t be very happy about.

However it’s understood that the regulator will opt to keep the option of full separation on the table, which could be used as a bargaining chip should BT move to aggressively oppose their new measures. A BT source told The Telegraph that this may yet result in separation: “It could get to the point of separation by the back door” (i.e. if the price of Ofcom’s new regulation feels too high to stomach).

Naturally all of this is to be accompanied by a variety of other changes to market regulation, which will go well beyond the question of Openreach’s separation. We’ll find out more on Thursday.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: BT Set to Avoid Openreach Split as Ofcom Opts for the Middle Ground

All the fuss about Openreach I am surprised that there hasn't been any pressure for Virgin Media to open up the last mile of its network to other ISPs.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Re: BT Set to Avoid Openreach Split as Ofcom Opts for the Middle Ground

If only VM would actually cable my street....... I'm sure Cable my street is just to pacify people pretending that they actually extend their network!