Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Windows 10 Upgrades/Updates

This is a discussion on Windows 10 Upgrades/Updates within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; I've got a minor dilemma with one friend to work through with regards to Windows 10. She has a Netbook ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Windows 10 Upgrades/Updates

I've got a minor dilemma with one friend to work through with regards to Windows 10.

She has a Netbook which was supplied with Windows 7 32bit, 1GB RAM. The architecture is 64bit. I managed to persuade her to upgrade the RAM but we were only able to get a 4GB module at the time.

If I can legitimately install a 64bit OS then the Netbook will work a lot better. Unfortunately I don't have an external DVD drive and my only legal copy of Windows 8.1 is on a DVD.

It would be cleaner if she could purchase a full copy of Win 10 but she doesn't have the spare cash for it.

I could just install Win 10 (64bit) but I'm concerned that it'll come up with a prompt asking to be activated, which isn't so good.

Any suggestions?

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

The best and MS recommended method for installing Wiindows 10 is using the MS Media Creation tool.
      Use a usb stick rather than a dvd.
      https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

Would not recommend running 64bit with only 1gb ram, keep wth 32bit. Many of the recent lower form factor pcs have 64bit architecture but do run a 32bit OS for the correct reasons.
      You will not gain any performance on that machine by doing so.
      Also, the license for that machine is 32bit so it will remain 32bit with any upgrade to W10.
      Any chance of the model of that machine?

Not sure what 8.1 has to do with any of it, as it has a W7 license it qualifies to upgrade straight to W10
      Does the machine have a license sticker? If not there are many ways to retrieve the number.
      All modern machines have the license embeddded in the BIOS now, so no need to know it. But that machine sounds as though it is too old for that.

Ive used the media creation tool on about 171 pc/laptops (just looked at my spreadsheet) upgraded or clean installed to W10 without any issues.
      Its best to skip, when it asks during the install for the product key, and activate it later once the OS is fully installed.

There are many good blogs that take you step by step out there, but this will cover most of your questions;
      http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/softw...ate-boot-media

Also;
      IMPORTANT UPDATE THAT MS MADE IN THE AUTUMN TO MAKE IT ALL EASIER: Microsoft has simplified the Windows 10 activation process, which means that the installer will recognise a Windows 7 or Windows 8 licence key and upgrade it to Windows 10 automatically. This means that, if you're an upgrader, you no longer need to update your computer first and then perform a clean install afterwards.
      Last edited by lettice; 08-01-16 at 10:20 AM.

Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Thanks

Windows 10 Upgrades/Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I've got a minor dilemma with one friend to work through with regards to Windows 10.

She has a Netbook which was supplied with Windows 7 32bit, 1GB RAM. The architecture is 64bit. I managed to persuade her to upgrade the RAM but we were only able to get a 4GB module at the time.

If I can legitimately install a 64bit OS then the Netbook will work a lot better. Unfortunately I don't have an external DVD drive and my only legal copy of Windows 8.1 is on a DVD.

It would be cleaner if she could purchase a full copy of Win 10 but she doesn't have the spare cash for it.

I could just install Win 10 (64bit) but I'm concerned that it'll come up with a prompt asking to be activated, which isn't so good.

Any suggestions?
      She could join the Windows Insider program, this would mean she needs to keep the beta up to date but it does activate even without a licence. I have done this on two of my PCs to get access to Win10 Pro that only had win8 Home installed.
      Annie 🦋..........
      My Sky+HD FAQ
      (now with more questions)
      My Sky hardware and setup

Thanks

I know that Win 10, actually Win 7 too, will perform badly with 1GB of RAM. She did upgrade the Netbook to 4GB but is only currently using 2GB as its a 32bit OS.

I was thinking of doing a naughty but installing a legitimate copy I have of Win 8.1, then upgrading the Netbook to Win 10. Both these would be 64bit versions. If I were to just install Win 10 64bit, then I would expect the Netbook to come up with the prompt to get Win 10 activated.

I am aware of the Win 10 Media Creation tool. I've used it myself to create the Win 10 DVD I used last weekend for a start and also used it some time back.

I'd rather not install a Beta OS on this Netbook. It's not used that often and I need to keep things simple for this person.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I know that Win 10, actually Win 7 too, will perform badly with 1GB of RAM. She did upgrade the Netbook to 4GB but is only currently using 2GB as its a 32bit OS.

I was thinking of doing a naughty but installing a legitimate copy I have of Win 8.1, then upgrading the Netbook to Win 10. Both these would be 64bit versions. If I were to just install Win 10 64bit, then I would expect the Netbook to come up with the prompt to get Win 10 activated.

I am aware of the Win 10 Media Creation tool. I've used it myself to create the Win 10 DVD I used last weekend for a start and also used it some time back.

I'd rather not install a Beta OS on this Netbook. It's not used that often and I need to keep things simple for this person.
      Ok understand now, 4gb will be perfect, but being such an old netbook, there may be some drivers that may not be available with a 64bit OS (like I said in my previous post, they do it for a reason), so be aware of that.
      Netbooks are a cheaper version and may use a 64bit processor (often shared across many machines), but other internal components within the netbook are cheaper or low quality and may not always perform at such a high spec.
      But using the media tool, without using your key dyring the install will show you and avoid any key usages.

Use the media tool to install W10, skip where it asks for a key during the install and then once install add your 8.1 key. That method will not fail.
      It may fail during the install.

Try to use a stick rather than a DVD, much more reliable and faster install.

Assuming that 8.1 license is not a reatil one and not OEM?
      What is the model number of this netbook?
      Last edited by lettice; 08-01-16 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks

I don't have access to the Netbook at the moment so I can't check many of the things on it.

What I would consider doing, which is in essence what I did with my friend's laptop last weekend, would be to install a spare 2.5" drive I have, install everything as I would normally and check that it all works.

The driver issue is something that could be an issue but I wouldn't have expected it to be much of one. Of course until I actually get an opportunity to play with it I can't say what will happen.

The 8.1 License come with a retail pack.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

She did upgrade the Netbook to 4GB but is only currently using 2GB as its a 32bit OS
      32-bit Windows will address a ram space of about 3.5 GB. If your friend's netbook can only address 2 GB then there is something else causing problems. In any event, I would have thought it unlikely that a netbook has the performance to take advantage of a 64-bit operating system.

Thanks

Ok, it looks like I need to experiment with it first then to see what it is like.

To be fair her new laptop, bought last year, is much lighter than the previous one and she is more prepared to take it with her when travelling. As a result the Netbook doesn't get the use it used to, hence another reason why she doesn't want to spend too much money on it.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT-Fibre-900
      Router: opnSense-I78550-Fanless
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

don't think there is an upgrade path that crosses from 32 to 64. I would install win7 pro x64 then activate it with that well known tool, then upgrade to win10 pro x64 which will log the machine id. then use jellybean to make note of key (just in case) then wipe/install clean version of win10 pro. That's what I did with the missus' netbook, Lubuntu is an option too thats cracking for netbooks.

Thanks

I need to keep things simple for the person in question. Using Win 10 Pro sounds great but in practise it would mean that some things would behave differently. This will result in me getting a phone call for help.

The same would go for Ubuntu or Lubuntu. Too much of a difference from Windows. Several things wouldn't work (e.g. shared work files) and too much confusion.

It's been difficult enough with her using Win Vista & Win 7, now Win 8.1 & Win 7.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12