Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie
    • 1 Post By reddwarfcrew

UK ISP BT Cuts 76Mbps Capable FTTC Broadband Price to GBP25

This is a discussion on UK ISP BT Cuts 76Mbps Capable FTTC Broadband Price to GBP25 within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; UK ISP BT Cuts 76Mbps Capable FTTC Broadband Price to GBP25 - ISPreview UK The price of BT ’s top ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,247 Times in 2,108 Posts

UK ISP BT Cuts 76Mbps Capable FTTC Broadband Price to GBP25

UK ISP BT Cuts 76Mbps Capable FTTC Broadband Price to GBP25 - ISPreview UK
      The price of BT’s top ‘up to’ 76Mbps capable unlimited BTInfinity 2 (FTTC) superfast broadband package has quietly been reduced from £30 to £25 per month for new customers, at least until 14th October 2015. A £100 Sainsbury’s gift card is also accompanying the new deal.

As usual a 12 month contract term applies and new customers will also need to take out BT’s standard Phone Line Rental, which now costs either £17.99 per month as standard or £194.28 when pre-paid for a full year in advance (equivalent of £16.19 per month).

Unlimited Infinity 1 + Free Weekend Calls

* Download speeds of up to 76Mbps (19Mbps uploads)

* Included HomeHub 5 Router (£6.95 Delivery)
      * Totally Unlimited Usage Allowance
      * BTSport TV Lite
      * 50GB Online Cloud Storage
      * SmartTalk (voice calls over wifi/3g/4g)
      * Unlimited BTWiFi Hotspots
      * Parental Controls (Network Level Filter and Anti-Virus etc.)
      * NetProtect Plus (enhanced security)
      * Included £100 Sainsbury’s gift card
      * Free Activation

PRICE: £25 per month for 12 months (£30 thereafter) + line rental

The downside of BTInfinity 2 is that if you can’t get close to the full 40Mbps under BTInfinity 1 then you’re unlikely to see much of a benefit from upgrading to Infinity 2 as the line will still suffer from the same copper limits as before, although BT’s line estimates should tell you that before completing the order.

2. Advertisement
      146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: UK ISP BT Cuts 76Mbps Capable FTTC Broadband Price to GBP25

That sounds like a really good deal (to anyone who hasn't been with them and experienced their over many seas call centre).

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Unless you are desperate for the TV, why would you choose BT over (BT owned!), Plusnet?

The comparable product (Unlimited Fibre Extra) is £10 a month for 6 months, then £19.99 a month thereafter, usually comes with at least £100 cashback and actually has decent UK based customer service!

Thanks

Whilst BT are now looking to move their call centres back to the UK, for many, including myself, the damage has been done.

However there are many others who haven't felt the nasty side of BT's customer services and they would only be too willing to switch to BT if that is what they want.

In the mean time Sky are still charging £30 per month for SFUP, plus the line rental is now going up to £17.40 per month from 1st December.

Since any people no longer use their land lines, this mean you could be paying £47.40 per month in order to get an up to 76mbps FTTC service with Sky. Yes I know it could be 80mbps, but that's Ofcom for you.

The BT Line rental is currently £17.99, so that would make their 'up to 76mbps' product £42.99 per month for the first 12 months. It also currently has a 12 month contract and comes with BT Sport free.

Sure there are a few other differences between the two products, but this will have people thinking.

For the technically minded, Sky will be switching to IPv6 soon. No confirmed dates yet. BT have stated that all their customers will be on IPv6 by the end of next year, with 50% around Easter time. Sky's SR102 only supports up to 144mbps on the 2.4GHz band and you can only officially use their router. BT's router supports faster speeds on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and you can always use your own router if that is what you'd like.

Just how many people are on BT's broadband? Since they now include the figures for BT Retail and PlusNet, its hard to say.
      speedyrite likes this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

I'm just so undecided on this. I don't want to go to BT, but the price differential (with offers) is getting too big.

BT has BT Sport, which if you are a Sky Sports customer who enjoyed the champs league, then it's worth a lot (or has devalued sky).
      BT has regular £100 sainsburys voucher (I shop there)
      BT has it discounted to £25pm in the current offer
      BT has a far better router

Sky is expensive if you factor the champs league (less so if you didn't watch it)
      ..... but my sky service is generally flawless (although the router has started to drop connection a few times of late).
      Sky CS, particularly the chat is pretty good.

What to do, what to do!
      speedyrite likes this.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Virgin. Over 500mb.
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Hmmm, I never thought that I would consider leaving sky for BT as my sky internet service (80mb Fibre) has been flawless with just a few loss of service issues over quite a few years.

I have already cancelled my sky TV package, so perhaps I could be leaving sky totally.

I shall have to look into this when I have more time.

Regarding the £100 Sainsbury voucher, are there any conditions? IE: a minimum spend or is it just a £100 voucher off anything and any amount?

Thanks

Just a thought, but with the move from call centres based in India, where the service is often rude, incompetent and just plain bad, to a UK call centre based model, BT customers are likely to go through a 'teething' process as they are all trained up and get used to the new systems.

News & media

https://www.cable.co.uk/news/bt-move...ice-700001073/

In their own PR statement, bt makes it clear that they intend to complete the process by the end of 2016.

Ok, once it has completed I am sure that the CS figures will finally rise. However I suspect that it will go down first and that there will be a lot of problems as those in India join the "I can't be bothered" brigade and calls are not processed correctly.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

As a satisfied Sky BB customer of almost 8 years now, it's very tough to resist - but we're sticking with Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro for the time being.

The main advantage of Sky over BT in my view is the core backbone network capacity and quality. I've been seeing a lot of complaints recently about PlusNet, perhaps because their lower pricing has attracted a shedload of new customers leading to increased pressure on their network (which runs traffic over the main BT network, together with the traffic of other ISPs who re-sell BT on a wholesale basis).

So we will reverse the automatic "upgrade" from Sky Talk Freetime @ £0pm to Sky Talk Evenings and Weekend Extra @ £4pm and go to Sky Pay As You Talk @ £0pm because, like most people it seems, we don't really use the landline.

I have a mobile contract with 3 that gives enough included minutes to meet our needs, including 2000 3-to-3 minutes, and Mrs. S. is on 3 PAYG 3-2-1 (3p per minute, 2p per text, 1p per MB of data) which is an incredibly cheap tariff for anybody (like her) who is a low user.

We're binning Sky TV around the end of the year and replacing with "something else", so we won't be at all interested in any discounts or special offers on Sky TV that they might tempt with at that stage.

But I expect that not having Sky TV will mean no more retention deals for re-contracting with Sky BB (as we have done the last two Aprils when we've gone out of contract).

However it might not be a bad thing to be out of contract in order to keep options open in case a switch is needed (see below)!

They say in the FAQs on Sky Help: Sky Line Rental and Talk package changes for 2015 :

Q: Will there be any changes to Sky Broadband?
      A: There will be no changes to Sky Broadband prices for existing customers at this time

But I'm sure that it's only a matter of time before there is some upward product re-pricing on Sky Broadband, and that will then require some serious thinking and decision making!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)