Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Free multi machine antivirus (Avast business)

This is a discussion on Free multi machine antivirus (Avast business) within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; The basic version of Avast Business is free now, similar to the free home edition where it gives you the ...

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Free multi machine antivirus (Avast business)

The basic version of Avast Business is free now, similar to the free home edition where it gives you the core antivirus free and of course they do try and sell you the "pro" version with firewall.etc just like they do with the home one. But if you just want a reasonable AV product without all the Bells and whistles then the free one isn't a bad option.

https://www.avast.com/en-gb/business

Although it's aimed at Business I thought it might be handy for people who have multiple computers because unlike the home version it can be centrally managed from a web console so you can be alerted if someone else in you family gets a virus.

It will also install on windows server unlike the home edition, I have it running on some of my machines and it seems to work quite well, I'll probably put it on the rest of them when my ESET license runs out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

coipu (15-04-15)

3. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: Free multi machine antivirus (Avast business)

Also check your bank account info too, Barclays give me multiple licenses pc and mobile Kaspersky suite free. Lloyds do one to as my mum uses it. It is always nicer to have full featured version if possible, I expect all the banks do and if you have internet chances are you are with a bank.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

My bank does not provide anti-virus software but they do provide malware protection (Trusteer Rapport) which begs the question does AV software provide a false sense of security or do some AV packages also protect against trojans and other forms of malware?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Av software should stop the general rubbish out there that the AV vendors know about, but it doesn't take much to modify malware so that it avoids the AV signatures, some of them do sandboxing and HIPS to try and improve the protection but at the end of the day they probably wont stop a targeted attack or anything 0day.

davews is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

I understand this is a 'cloud' antivirus like Panda - although this is hardly clear on their site. There are reports on their forums about it being slow to start. As a relatively new product I would steer well clear at the moment until there are more independent reviews. The normal Avast Free works well for me, despite its annoying popup ads which seem to be getting more frequent - unless you ARE a business (where under their licence terms you cannot run the consumer version) there seems little incentive to change.

Exchange:
      Thanks

It seems closer to the traditional avast client, the cloud aspect is more about being able to remote manage it and getting central reporting, it probably does use streaming definitions but I'm pretty sure the personal client does as well.