Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Windows 8 - Visual Destruction of the Web

This is a discussion on Windows 8 - Visual Destruction of the Web within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; I'm starting to hate Windows 8 with a fury. Not because it's an obtrusive, bloated heap of junk a huge ...

Jaheira is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Abergavenny
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Windows 8 - Visual Destruction of the Web

I'm starting to hate Windows 8 with a fury. Not because it's an obtrusive, bloated heap of junk a huge step backwards from Windows 7, but because of its awful Metro interface and the way which many sites on the Web are starting to adopt its ghastly graphical style.

Many of the sites I regularly visit have now been transformed into bloated, blocky and bland versions of their former selves, horrible to look at, and even worse to use. Using a laptop with a 1366x768 resolution results in a view of the page zoomed in so far you only see a small proportion of the total, making you constantly scroll around to see the whole. Pages that were once concise and easy to read are now a nightmare, making you work hard to glean the same amount of information you could once get in a glance. And all so that those with toy tablets have a better experience on farcebook and save battery life by not running the far superior but less power efficient Aero interface.

Many of us in the know have avoided Win8 like the plague. Now we're having its dull and unproductive interface shoved down our throats, in my opinion wrecking the look, feel and usability of the Web. Windows 8 by proxy.

Does anyone else here feel this way?
      Last edited by Jaheira; 14-03-15 at 04:26 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Windows 8 - Visual Destruction of the Web

Don't let it get to you.

I have two computers (a laptop & a desktop) with Windows 8.1 and have installed a 3rd party Start Menu on both. The only time I see the Metro interface is when I accidentally swipe the pad on my laptop incorrectly or actually want to use it.

There are several different ones available, but this serves me well: IObit Start Menu 8 for Windows 8 Free download, Bring Windows 8 Start Menu back

If you don't want to use it, there are settings available in Windows 8.1 to automatically boot you to the Desktop. You can also set up your laptop so that you don't need to log in when you boot up (not from sleep mode though), but that isn't recommended if you take the laptop out and about.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Alan b (14-03-15)

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: SR101
      Thanks

Can't say I've seen any change in style to any sites I use. Is it possible your browser is misconfigured and you are seeing the mobile version of the site? Try a different browser. Can you give an example of one of these sites?

Thanks

Take www.astronomynow.com

It used to be compact and concise, now it's blocky, bland and everything is oversized. If you try and resize the page the text becomes too small and difficult to read. I'm using Firefox as my primary browser. You can zoom in and and out easily with Ctrl+/- or change the text size but this is often unsatisfactory as it totally unbalances the page. Whatever you seem to do just makes things worse. A page that was once easy to read is now a blocky mess that requires you to constantly scroll around to obtain the same amount of information. The idiot mugshot links to facebook pages now seem to be as important as the main news.

And don't start me on Facebook and Twitter. They're monstrosities that have created millions of inane, self-obsessed morons, neurotically posting utter crap on a daily basis. I really hate the way the Internet has gone the past 5 or 6 years.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If you don't want to use it, there are settings available in Windows 8.1 to automatically boot you to the Desktop. You can also set up your laptop so that you don't need to log in when you boot up (not from sleep mode though), but that isn't recommended if you take the laptop out and about.
      I'm NEVER gonna install Windows 8 on any machine I own! What I'm on about is websites adopting the Metro style making them awful to look at and use, on a laptop at 1366x768 at least.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I can sympathise.

Even using ps3 browser on a 37" LCD, text on that astronomy site is only just legible sitting 10 feet from the screen.

So this is all tablet influence?
      Last edited by gymno; 17-03-15 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Measured & it's 10 feet

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I have just looked at the Astronomy Now website with FF, Chrome & IE on my Win 7 computer and the layout is the same, so it is their web design.

Ok, it mimics the "Metro" style which Windows 8 introduced, and no I'm not a fan of it, but then I don't currently have a Windows 8 tablet or touch screen for my desktop computers of Laptop.

The display on this laptop is a little larger than 1366x768. The laptop I had with that resolution sadly died when the fan jammed and caused the CPU to fry, so I can't test on that laptop.

It is down to web designers to create the layout of the website and down to the people who own it to agree on the design.

There are some nice benefits to Windows 8.1. Recently I changed the main drive on this laptop, but due to a couple of "issues" I had to install everything 3 times (BIOS update messed up UEFI, then I managed to pick up a nasty) in a week.

During the installation process I soon realised that I was able to pick up a variety of settings which I had been using on the previous drive, including some of the Win 8 apps, FF settings and a few other things. This wasn't possible with previous editions, but really made it a lot simpler to rebuild the laptop. Previously I would of had to go searching for everything, copy the settings across and restore them manually, etc.

I understand that Win 10 is a little better than Win 8. Win 7 is nice too.

Sadly Win XP is no longer supported and any security holes that are identified will no longer get fixed. Already new software being sold will no longer support XP in some cases, so please don't get that. As for Win Vista... eeekkkk!

Getting back to the Metro look though, seriously I don't see it when I boot up either my Win 8 desktop or this laptop. Both are configured to go to the desktop and both look similar to how a Windows 7 computer looks.

When I set up a friend's laptop I scoured the Internet for a selection of pictures of Wales (yes he is still a friend & yes he is welsh) and created a unique page for when he switches the laptop and also a range of wallpapers for a friendly laugh. He actually loves them all, including the sheep.

It allows you to do a great deal if you are able to spend a little time learning about some of the hidden secrets.

Below is the image I used for when he switches on his laptop.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Below is the image I used for when he switches on his laptop.
      My mother-in-law's solicitor will be in touch to demand royalties!
      Scubbie and gymno like this.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by FelixTCat View Post
      My mother-in-law's solicitor will be in touch to demand royalties!
      And the 1970's will be in touch with your solicitor.

Thanks

The National Savings website. I check to see if I've won anything each month with my premium bonds. They too have switched to the Metro style recently. There are now large, blocky pictures of people celebrating and crap like that, making you scroll around to find out if you've actually won, when before it was all nice and easy to check. Windows dressing at the expense of information. I've noticed quite a few other sites switching to the Metro style recently and they're all now horrible to use. The good pub guide. If you search for pubs in a specific area only about 3 from the list fit on the screen, making you scroll, scroll, scroll, when prior to the style change, you could see more. It's like you're zoomed in too close with a telescope and your field of view is tiny and restricting. The style also features a horrible drop down menu that takes up a portion of the screen when you scroll down a page, restricting the view even more, and a horrible horizontal picture scroll with holes to scroll to each element that appear hidden (and therefore useless) if the background picture is dark.

I remember sitting in on a HCI lecture in university once (not my course but any easy option for those avoiding coding!) and the lecturer said 'keep it simple and easy to use'. It appears those who created this horrible style, a huge step backwards from Aero, have ignored this advice!
      Last edited by Jaheira; 18-03-15 at 02:35 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast