Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband speed adverts targeted by watchdog Which?

This is a discussion on Broadband speed adverts targeted by watchdog Which? within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; BBC News - Broadband speed adverts targeted by watchdog Which? Consumer watchdog Which? has called for regulators to change the ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Broadband speed adverts targeted by watchdog Which?

BBC News - Broadband speed adverts targeted by watchdog Which?
      Consumer watchdog Which? has called for regulators to change the way broadband services are advertised.

Currently providers can use a headline speed for services even if only 10% of customers will actually get that speed.

Which? found that a quarter of people would have chosen another deal if they had been better informed about the actual speeds they would receive.

Providers say various factors can affect the speed individual customers get.

"Internet connection is now an essential part of modern life so it beggars belief that providers can sell people short by advertising speeds that only 10% of customers could receive," said Richard Lloyd, executive director of Which?

"We want advertising watchdogs to pull the plug on confusing adverts and ensure broadband providers show the speeds the majority of customers will actually get."

Campaign launch

Which? found that few people were aware of the 10% guideline but the vast majority (88%) felt that speed was a crucial factor in choosing a broadband deal.

Only 5% felt that speed was currently advertised in the clearest way.

Which? called on the advertising watchdogs, the Committee of Advertising Practice (Cap) and the Broadcasting Committee of Advertising Practice (Bcap), to review current guidelines.

It has also launched a campaign - Give us broadband speed guarantees - that is asking the public to sign up.

The Internet Service Providers' Association said that it supported efforts to "boost transparency" but added that it was not always easy to work out what speeds consumers would receive.

"A variety of factors can affect speeds outside of an ISP's control, including customers' internal wiring and equipment," said Ispa secretary general Nicholas Lansman.

"As speeds can involve factors beyond the control of the ISP, we would caution against too restrictive rules."

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Re: Broadband speed adverts targeted by watchdog Which?

Which magazine, is that still around?
      Remember being sent junk mail from them for those ridiculous readers digest type competitions back in the 1980s. Always seemed at odds for a consumer magazine.
      Not sure why anyone would subscribe these days or is it a free magazine now as reviews easily found on the web.

I'm not sure I think anyone who cares about their speed really finds the way speed is advertised hard to believe. After all when you go to any isp site, they ask for a postcode and number and tell you roughly what to expect, how hard is that to understand and what more is required? If you don't understand ask, simple.

Thanks

Which? is very much still around and going strong.

Reviews and expert advice from Which?

You can even subscribe on-line now to read the various reviews that they have.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

So you can, not heard from them for years.
      Suppose the Mail preference has put a stop to them sending me their junk competitions

Be honest, youtube unboxing videos and reviews and amazon and shop customer reviews is where I go every time to check out any tech or white goods and all for free.

Had a quick look at their website, not much there really unless you subscribe.
      Who are which anyway, apart from a commercial organisation wanting your money and probably paid to give a good review anyway. they even do a comparison site too, yuk i hate those. Sorry not for me.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I subscribed to Which for years, but with the advent of the Internet it became largely redundant, so I ceased membership. They are a non-profit organization who independently test all types of goods and services. All the goods they test are bought by them specifically for testing. They do not receive goods free to test, as some other testing organizations do, which enables them to stay independent. They do short term reviews and long term testing to give a good overall impression of the goods being tested.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I guess it all depends very much on what you are interested in.

I could have done with a review of a lens I bought for my camera a few months ago, but there wasn't any available.

Their comparative studies can be useful if you are unsure about what may be good or bad. I do miss access to their reliability test scores too. Yes I did subscribe to them at one point too but stopped for some reason or the other some years ago.

All reviews tend to have a particular taint. I've learned that it is better to have a good look around and read multiple reviews where possible. Mostly because any reviewer tends to scream that something is the bees 'n' eees and fails to acknowledge newer products or that a rival firm has something much better. Often this is because htey are paid to review one product and not another.

Even looking on the Amazon site the reviews, as good as they might be, tend to be biased. Just how many people will have tested say 3 laptops of similar specifications and be able to form a true opinion to be able to say which is the best? Of course it would be more useful if the Gadget Show, for example, really didn't just go for all the glamour and plumb with a Go Pro camera each time they compare outdoor cameras.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.