Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Battle for the net: why is my internet slow today?

This is a discussion on Battle for the net: why is my internet slow today? within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Battle for the net: why is my internet slow today? | Technology | theguardian.com Technology firms are protesting against an ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Battle for the net: why is my internet slow today?

Battle for the net: why is my internet slow today? | Technology | theguardian.com
      Technology firms are protesting against an end to net neutrality in the US by simulating a slowdown of their websites and services

You might notice that lots of the things you try to do online today seem slow. But it is not your internet connection, your router or your computer – the internet is staging a protest.

It is protesting about the US legislation due to be brought in by the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) about “net neutrality” – essentially whether the internet should run at one speed for all companies and services, or should be divided into a fast and a slow lane.

If the legislation is successfully passed, companies including Google, YouTube, Netflix and Amazon will probably have to pay for a higher speed internet connection to continue to stream video and other internet services at the same rate they do now to avoid users being infuriated by slow loading times and stuttering video.

Why is it slow today?

10 September is “internet slowdown day”, organised by Battle for the Net with 68 different internet companies and organisations to illustrate what the internet could be like if the laws are passed and the internet is divided into a fast and a slow lane.

What’s happening?

The internet isn’t really slowing down. The companies involved – which include Twitter, Reddit, Netflix, Vimeo and Mozilla – are just simulating, and will place symbols like the spinning pinwheel or other loading-style animations on their site to make it seem like the internet is slowing down.

Who’s involved?

Almost all the big-name US streaming or image sites are taking part, including Netflix and Vimeo, as are image site Imgur, Tumblr, news sites like Digg and Reddit, plus Firefox browser developer Mozilla and WordPress, which powers some of the biggest blogs on the internet. Twitter and the crowdfunding site Kickstarter are also taking part.

The majority of the companies are based in the US but also serve users in the UK and around the world.

What can I do?

The protest will try to illustrate what the internet could be like with the new US legislation and will lead users to sign a petition to the US Congress to stop the proposed rules from the FCC.

For those who just want rid of the banners, loading screens and simulated slow internet, wait a day and it should all be over. Of course, your internet might actually be slow today, but rebooting your router normally fixes that.

Net neutrality: an internet slowdown
      Net neutrality: what is it and why does it matter?

2. Advertisement
      dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Virgin. Over 500mb.
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Re: Battle for the net: why is my internet slow today?

Not noticed any difference at all today!

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
      We'll all notice if laws on net neutrality change.

I support the campaign.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Certainly there will be two sides to this argument.

You could argue that as a Sky Broadband customer I am paying Sky for access to the Internet for an unlimited amount of data each month and therefore it is me who should pay towards the costs of Sky having sufficient systems in place to cope.

On the other argument you could say that it is far cheaper for broadcasters to push their content over the Internet than via terrestrial or satellite broadcasting methods. This puts additional pressure on the network for those customers who stream their content this way.

Of course not everyone streams their content via the Internet, but we all pay the same prices. Some people will stream more than others and yet Sky has to provide systems that can cope with everyone's choices.

Personally I'm against it. Thankfully the EU has sided with me and unlined this by introducing regulations to maintain net neutrality.

The real issue at the present time is in the US. There are just a couple of big players. They have a monopoly where they are often the sole provider and wish to dictate what their unlucky subscribers can watch - i.e. their own material and no one else's.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
      Maybe you would have if you accessed a US site. I think the slowdown was confined to the US ISPs, UK did not take part. Maybe they would have their own protest if it was proposed to enact the legislation here.

Edit: I have just accessed one of the US sites I visit and get this-

Battle for the net: why is my internet slow today?-net.jpg

So it is still active.
      Last edited by Isitme; 11-09-14 at 04:30 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.