Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Big brother Google is watching you.

This is a discussion on Big brother Google is watching you. within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; No location history here but then I don't have location enabled and never have done....

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Big brother Google is watching you.

No location history here but then I don't have location enabled and never have done.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Big brother Google is watching you.

I think that potentially the most direct invasive practise would be if a company decided to use your company phone to track you if you work outside the office.

Not only could they take a look to see where you were on a specific date and time, they can also cheaply check up on where you are pretty much all the time, without having to ask.

Of course you might argue that they couldn't do this if you are using your own personal google account on your own phone, but please remember that some firms like to capture any date transferred through their WiFi. This could mean that they already have your personal email address and password.

Now that would be an invasion of privacy and something which I am sure the courts would frown upon. All I can say is read you employment contracts carefully, as well as any work IT procedures, just in case they have advised you that this is what they will do.

As for myself, the picture below is a direct result from last Saturday's visit to Bournemouth. I'm posting it to illustrate what someone might see if they look at this. If you click any one of the dots you can see a pop up 'speech' box that includes the date and time (to the second) when the location was recorded. If you are indoors the the position will become inaccurate to some degree. Of course all this also consumes any data allowance you have on your phone too.

Getting back to Bournemouth, you can see that we came into Bournemouth using the best route, but left using a different router. As everyone was leaving more or less at the same time, we took a detour to try an bypass the worse of the traffic. Whether it made much of a difference I'll never truly know, but we wasn't in a hurry and we were moving. With around 1.2 million visitors over the 4 days, and both Saturday & Sunday being the busiest, there would have been a lot of people on the road all at the same time.

Big brother Google is watching you.-location-history.jpg

I have deliberately cropped the image as the full screen includes distance travelled during the day and account information.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12