Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Advent monza red s150 help

This is a discussion on Advent monza red s150 help within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Hi guys and girls Has anyone got this laptop? As I'm fixing it for a friend. But who ever tried ...

kman28 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Banbridge (NIBB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Advent monza red s150 help

Hi guys and girls

Has anyone got this laptop? As I'm fixing it for a friend.

But who ever tried to fix it before me seems to have corrupted the bios as it's not recognising the bios password as correct even though it is.

The password dialogue box is right at boot so can even select boot from usb or Cd to try and run hirens Boot Cd to remove the password.

There is no jumpers or dip switches on the board. And removing the cmos battery doesn't work.

Tried a Usb keyboard to to make sure I was definitely typing what I wanted.

Any opinions anyone?

It's the first time I've ever seen this as complicated
      Sky Fiber 40/10 Connection - DL 39998 - UL 10000

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Advent monza red s150 help

I don't know this laptop specifically, but my first thoughts would be to locate a repair manual.

I know that some are published so that the public can find them, but initial search results came up with nothing to help.

If I were in your situation the next thing that I would do would be to either contact Advent or find a friendly local guy who repairs laptops.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Tried that Scubbie no joy as advents are so generic. She Rang advent there looking 100 to look at it.

Local guys are looking 50. But she has already been ripped off for 45 by the first guy

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

It's a really tricky situation but you might want to suggest something that she won't like, but needs to be said, unless you can find someone who can help crack through the security.

If you definitely can't get access to the laptop then I would consider the following:

• The laptop is not a new model. One review I saw was dated 2011. It's early comments mentioned that it was "under powered" at that time
      • Specifications: Advent Monza S150 Review, Specifications and Deals
      • 8GB of RAM and a 750GB hard drive was good for the time, however the processor does not compare to what is currently available
      • There are some really nice laptops available for between 250 and 380 at the present time
      • Many at the higher end of the price range will have 8GB RAM and a 1TB hard drive

Don't throw away the hard drive from the Advent! Provided that it wasn't encrypted, everything should be accessible. You may need to use something such as 'Virtual Box' in order to boot from the Advent drive and then copy everything from that to the new laptop or even run some of the software. You'll also need to use 'sysprep' to generalise the installation and allow another laptop or PC to boot from the drive.

I appreciate that this will not be what she wants to here. She may well be unable to do it at the present time.

If she does want to look at this then talk with her and find out what she does (sorry, did) with the Advent and what she would like to do different/in addition. Then sit down and look at the options.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The password dialogue box is right at boot so can even select boot from usb or Cd to try and run hirens Boot Cd to remove the password.
      Most machines allow you to get to the boot menu by pressing a key at boot up, F8 is the favourite. Have you tried that?

There is no jumpers or dip switches on the board. And removing the cmos battery doesn't work.
      Many machines have a password reset or dip switch under the keyboard. I have used this on an Acer to reset the password. You say removing the cmos battery does not work. Did you also remove the main battery? Quite often you have to leave it for some time to 'forget' the set up.

There are also built in bios passwords which are there for the use of technicians. Google for 'Backdoor BIOS Passwords' and you will find plenty. Her is one for a starter - UKT Support - How to Bypass BIOS Passwords

The is also commercial software available to reset passwords which runs through Windows. This is one of the free ones, but I don't know how good it is. CmosPwd Free Download

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

If I press f7 for the boot menu I can select it but then I have to put in the password before I can make a choice.

Tried under the keyboard there is nothing.
      Had every battery out for over 24 hours

Can boot anything as the password box pops up as soon as it turns on.

Thanks for the suggestions tho

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There is a good chance it is fitted with one of the anti theft measures some manufacturers use. This can be done by using a chip, separate from the cmos to hold the password information. If you can't boot into Windows it looks like finding a master password, is your only hope

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Crap I'm not even sure of the make of bios aggrrh u try to do a favour lol

IceGuyver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If you friend purchased their Advent Monza Red S150 from Currys, Dixons or PC World, then I would recommend you contact them directly. As Advent is their brand, which they use to manufacturer computers, laptops and tablets. I know this from experience as I purchased a Advent Desktop PC from them during my college education.