Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Ebay alert!!!

This is a discussion on Ebay alert!!! within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; Ebay have announced that their data base has been compromised and that all members should change their password as a ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Ebay alert!!!

Ebay have announced that their data base has been compromised and that all members should change their password as a matter of urgency.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (21-05-14)

3. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Ebay alert!!!

"Names, dates of birth, phone numbers, physical addresses, email addresses, and "encrypted" passwords, were copied from servers by attackers. Credit card numbers and other financial records were not touched, and are stored separately, says eBay.

Hackers accessed the database between late February and early March after obtaining a few employees' login credentials, and then infiltrated the corporate network.

The digital break-in of staff accounts was detected about two weeks ago, and sparked a computer-forensics probe that is still ongoing. The website's investigators today revealed a database containing customer information was accessed by the hackers.

eBay reckons everyone should change their passwords as a precaution – but it hasn't uncovered any evidence of fraud linked to the breach, it claims. One assumes eBay's techies have closed the hole the attackers exploited to infiltrate its systems, and has cleared its systems of the miscreants."

Quoted from The Register.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

It said it would be contacting users to alert them of the issue via email, its website, adverts and social media.
      BBC News - eBay makes users change their passwords after hack

Well there was nothing on the site when i just visited & i've had no email either...

Which is nice of them.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

From the eBay site:
      May 2014

21 May, 2014 | 05:42PM BST

Hello,

Earlier today eBay Inc. announced it is aware of unauthorised access to eBay systems that may have exposed some customer information. There is no evidence that financial data was compromised and there is no evidence that PayPal or our customers have been affected by the unauthorised access to eBay systems. We are working with law enforcement and leading security experts to aggressively investigate the matter.

As a precaution, we will be asking all eBay users (both buyers and sellers) to change their passwords later today. As a global marketplace, nothing is more important to eBay than the security and trust of our customers. We regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We know our customers and partners have high expectations of us, and we are committed to ensuring a safe and secure online experience for you on any connected device.

Click here
      for updates and additional information.

Regards
      The eBay-Team

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Virgin. Over 500mb.
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

No email for me either.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

I haven't received an email either, but saw the story on this evening's news.

Tom beat me to posting about it (thank you).

What does worry me more though is that Dates of Birth have also been hacked. This information is often used to confirm the identity of someone and could be quite dangerous to have leaked.

I'm reminded of this story: BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Clarkson stung after bank prank

Sure that was as a direct result of him posting his bank details, but it shows what can go wrong.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.