Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

EE Raise Home Broadband Prices and Add Bright Box 2 Router to all Fibre Plans

This is a discussion on EE Raise Home Broadband Prices and Add Bright Box 2 Router to all Fibre Plans within the General Computing and Internet forums, part of the Community channel category; EE Raise Home Broadband Prices and Add Bright Box 2 Router to all Fibre Plans - ISPreview UK ISP EE ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,233 Times in 2,099 Posts

EE Raise Home Broadband Prices and Add Bright Box 2 Router to all Fibre Plans

EE Raise Home Broadband Prices and Add Bright Box 2 Router to all Fibre Plans - ISPreview UK
      ISP EE has quietly increased the standard UK price of its fixed line Home Broadband plans by up to £1 per month. At the same time they’ve also made their high-spec VDSL and 802.11ac equipped Bright Box 2 router available on all of their superfast “Fibre Broadband” (FTTC) plans (previously it only came with the 76Mbps plan).

Consumers looking to take one of EE’s packages should note that their prices have quietly increased overnight. For example, the up to 16Mbps capable standard unlimited broadband plans use to start at £5 a month (excluding special offers) but today the price has risen to £6. Likewise their superfast fibre options use to start at £15 but now cost from £16.

As a consultation EE has decided to continue its half price discounts, which last for 3 months on their Fibre Broadband packages and 12 months with their entry-level standard broadband service. On top of that customers will still have to take the operators Line Rental from £11 a month (when paying 12 months in advance or £15.40 monthly).

Unlimited Standard Broadband (up to 16Mbps) + UK Weekend Calls

PRICE: £3 a month for the first 12 months (£6 thereafter)

Unlimited Standard Broadband (up to 16Mbps) + UK Anytime and Mobile Calls

PRICE: £6 a month for the first 3 months (£11 thereafter)

Unlimited Fibre Broadband (up to 38mbps) + UK Weekend Calls

PRICE: £8 a month for the first 3 months (£16 thereafter)

Unlimited Fibre Broadband (up to 38mbps) + UK Anytime and Mobile Calls

PRICE: £10.50 a month for the first 3 months (£21 thereafter)

Unlimited Fibre Broadband (up to 76mbps) + UK Weekend Calls

PRICE: £13 a month for the first 3 months (£26 thereafter)

Unlimited Fibre Broadband (up to 76mbps) + UK Anytime and Mobile Calls

PRICE: £15.50 a month for the first 3 months (£31 thereafter)

Take note that the above prices also include the £10.00 a month discount for EE, T-Mobile and Orange mobile customers in their network area. On top of that EE’s Fibre packages also still come with Half Price Installation for a one-off fee of £25. Contract terms appear to be 12 months for standard and 18 for fibre.

Customers also get 12 months of McAfee internet security, access to the online EE Film streaming service and of course 2 for 1 cinema tickets every Wednesday.

2. Advertisement
      James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Re: EE Raise Home Broadband Prices and Add Bright Box 2 Router to all Fibre Plans

The most difficult thing is working out if you are in an EE network area or not. That info is no longer published as I believe those 'EE network' areas are where Orange used to have LLU presence before they migrated to WBC aren't they?

Being 'in' or 'out' of an EE network area also determines how your are traffic managed as well.

Whilst I'm very happy with EE mobile, I wouldn't touch EE broadband with a barge pole!!

Edit to add - OMG, I've just checked EE broadband out of morbid curiosity (I'm not in an EE network area). They want to charge me from £21 +£15.40 line rental a month for upto 20Mb ADSL2+ with a 20Gg cap which is also heavily managed. That includes a £10 EE discount as well. LOL I don't think so!!!
      Last edited by James_Mitchell; 15-01-14 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks

Re: EE Raise Home Broadband Prices and Add Bright Box 2 Router to all Fibre Plans

I thought that Orange had given up all their LLU kit and switched to BTW products instead?

Anyway, what I did sport was the price of the Fibre broadband products. Sky don't currently offer any discounts for the 80/20 product, yet EE are.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Oh they have, but it's those areas that are still classed as been 'on network', hence why it's basically a guessing game!!

My town never had the old Orange LLU, so the ADSL2+ price for my postcode is coming in at £21, whilst if I try a postcode in the town near me that I know had Orange LLU, the same package is been offered from just £3.00 + £16.50 line rental.

y_i_out_of_bed is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yaxley (20)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: asus dsl-ac68u :-D with a fritz 7940 for extra cover and pbx
      Sky TV: Spc4 & 2x +HD
      Thanks

In good news the bright box 2 is surposed to be wan unlocked and mer compatable any one tryed one yet?
      I think there rebadged asus units if i read right so maby there will be an all in one ac asus for vdsl soon :-D
      Its a real slap in the face for use seeing as sky still floging there 150n boxes when i was on o2 i had that well 144n bit still same old tat and that was a good fuw years ago i wish they would atleast say look you can have a better router but that will be £40 one off charge

Thanks

I think that most members would agree with you in respect of Sky's routers being under specified. Sometimes I cross post stories like this to show how other ISPs are moving forward.

Sky has improved things, but LAN and WiFi speeds, as well as the ability to use both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies needs to be improved upon.

I appreciate that a lot of people are happy with what they have, but many others are not.

There are ways around this and there are people trying to convince Sky to open up things so that their broadband customers can use their own routers. I am not aware of any technical reason why a shop bought router would cause the Sky network to collapse or some security issue that would make is a good idea for Sky to prevent the use of your own router. Actually I am aware that if I were to attempt to connect a router with the log in details of another ISP, then it just would not connect. The connection is wired directly through to Sky's servers and no one else when it goes through their kit.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I would think the main reason why Sky (and other ISP's) use their own routers is from a technical support point of view. Sky staff should be clued up on on the Sky routers. Having someone call with an issue with a non-Sky router is going to create more issues as Sky don't know how the other router set-up works etc.

Sky can also control their own routers by offering their own router firmware upgrades etc rather than having to wait for the manufacture to supply the firmware. If a new service should be offered by Sky they can ensure most people have access to it by upgrading their own routers themselves. It's the same with the Sky TV box software upgrades.

I actually prefer it done this way as I know my Sky router will have all the latest services available to it as soon as Sky offer the service.

Thanks

I agree that the ability to update the routers by the ISP is a good feature.

Knowing how many issues can be identified and fixed via firmware updates and just how few people update the software on their computers, it would leave some serious holes in the service if there wasn't some kind of automation.

At the same time, the current non-ISP routers being sold on the open market all appear to support the main things which need to be supported.

IPv6, for example, is supported on most of the current crop of routers on the market.

However there are some specifics which only the latest 3 routers from sky will support. These relate to the ADSL DLM software (G.INP for example). I don't think that D-Link, Netgear, etc., are going to support this.

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Having suffered from EE's so called 4G "service" I will be leaving when my contract expires and have no intention of taking up the Fibre service they keep sending me marketing material about.

If you are an existing EE broadband user you may also wish to read this:

BBC News - EE rushes to fix broadband box security risk

EE rushes to fix broadband box security risk

Network provider EE will push out an emergency upgrade to its broadband customers after a security flaw was discovered by a UK researcher.
      Scott Helme said the vulnerability made "remote access" to EE's routers possible.
      The problem affects customers who have either the Brightbox 1 or 2 router in their homes......

Thanks

Hopefully that issue should be fixed soon.

It is worrying when any router is allowed to launch with a potential flaw such as that though.